Dior Sequin Embellished Silk Gown
View Similar Items
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Dior Sequin Embellished Silk Gown
About the Manufacturer
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
- Azzedine Alaia "Mon Coeur est Ã Papa" DressBy Azzedine AlaïaLocated in London, GBCollector Azzedine Alaia "Mon Coeur est Ã Papa" Dress - A design inspired by the close relationship between Naomi Campbell and the designer - Classic red sleeveless knit dress - Ico...Category
2010s French Cocktail Dresses
- Valentino Runway Navy Floral Sequin Panelled Mink Fur CoatBy ValentinoLocated in London, GBValentino Runway Navy Floral Sequin Panelled Mink Fur Coat 2022 -Navy mink fur body -Bead leaf embellishment panels -Mid-weight construction -Fully lined, silk lining -Snap butt...Category
2010s Italian Fur Puffer Coats
- Lilly e Violetta Light blue mink vison cropped sleeved jacketLocated in London, GBLilly e Violetta Light blue mink vison cropped sleeved jacket -Fully lined -Dyed blue mink body - Bracelet sleeves - Hook fastening along the frong - Round neckline - Two pocke...Category
2010s British Fur Puffer Coats
- Hermes Niloticus Crocodile Himalaya Blanc Oran SandalsBy HermèsLocated in London, GBHERMES Matte Niloticus Crocodile Himalaya Blanc Oran Sandals Size 37. Brand newCategory
- Christian Dior by John Galliano Ruched DressBy John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in Los Angeles, CAChristian Dior by John Galliano Dress Made in Italy Black Sleeveless V-neckline Ruched detailing down front of dress Fitted sheath style dress Invisible zipper down back of dress ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns$627 Sale Price29% Off
- Christian Dior by John Galliano S/S 2006 Sheer Lace Trimmed Corset Knit DressBy Christian DiorLocated in Fort Myers, FLChristian Dior by John Galliano S/S 2006 Sheer Lace Trimmed Corset Knit Black Dress FR 36 Christian Dior midi dress featuring lace and embroidered trim throughout, V-neck and corset...Category
Early 2000s Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Vintage CHRISTIAN DIOR by JOHN GALLIANO Velvet Flower Embellished DressBy John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage CHRISTIAN DIOR by JOHN GALLIANO Velvet Flower Embellished Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulders: 16.53 inches (42 cm) strap to strap Bu...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Cocktail Dresses
- Vintage 1990 Christian Dior Black White Polka-Dot Silk Bustier Plunge Mini DressBy Gianfranco Ferré for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in Beverly Hills, CAA stunning Christian Dior numbered Paris boutique polka-dot stretch hourglass dress dating back to the spring-summer 1990 collection. Christian Dior designed under his own name for o...Category
1990s French Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Vintage 1973 Christian Dior Haute Couture Brown Strapless Blouse & Palazzo PantsBy Marc Bohan, Christian DiorLocated in Beverly Hills, CAA gorgeous Christian Dior Haute Couture chocolate brown ensemble dating back to their 1972-73 Fall Winter collection. When the talented Marc Bohan took over as head designer in 1960,...Category
1970s French Trouser Pant Suits
- Christian Dior sage silk jacquard evening dress and jacket set, ss 1998By John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior sage evening dress and jacket set ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Floral silk jacquard ▪ Maxi dress with mermaid hem ▪ Cowl neckline ▪ Spaghetti straps ▪ Mid-Lengt...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
Recently ViewedView More
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.