- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
F/W 1977 Yves Saint Laurent Haute Couture 'Les Chinoises' Documented Dress Set
About the Item
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. A couple of small stains to the tunic dress. Minor markings at underskirt waistband from hanger indentations.
- Seller Location:Philadelphia, PA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU2388214650402
Yves Saint Laurent
French fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent pioneered “cross-design” in fashion, taking inspiration from street trends to modernize haute couture.
Saint Laurent was the first to launch a ready-to-wear label, YSL Rive Gauche Prêt-à-Porter. He was the first couturier to open boutiques for both men and women. Using traditional menswear fabrics and designs for women, Saint Laurent also literally cross-dressed, giving men and women alike chic pant suits, elegant tuxedo jackets and urban safari gear. By blurring gender-specific design, he empowered individual style while creating a scissor-sharp fashion aesthetic of sensual ease and beauty. Many of his designs are today considered timeless classics. Saint Laurent also consistently used Black models, like Mounia, Iman and Naomi Campbell, and he drew endless inspiration from different ethnicities and cultures, in no small part because of his Algerian roots.
Born to French parents in Oran, Algeria, in 1936, Saint Laurent went to Paris at age 17 to study fashion at the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture. Just two years later, in 1955, his remarkable sketches were shown to Christian Dior, then the world’s reigning couturier, who hired him immediately.
Surprisingly soon thereafter, Dior publicly chose Saint Laurent as his successor, which sadly proved prescient when the fashion legend died unexpectedly, in 1957. A mere slip of a youth, the 21-year-old Saint Laurent was nevertheless up to the challenge. He shook the traditional couture clientele to its core with youthful silhouettes and styles like the A-line trapeze dress that hung with seeming effortlessness from the shoulders, the antithesis of the pinched waists and molded skirts that had been all the rage after the deprivations of World War II.
After a mandated spell in the torturous French military, Saint Laurent suffered a nervous breakdown and was dismissed by Dior in 1962. Out of the ashes rose the Age of Yves. With Pierre Bergé, his then-lover who became his lifelong business partner and friend, the designer founded Yves Saint Laurent YSL to encompass prêt-à-porter, or ready-to-wear. In 1966, they opened the first YSL Rive Gauche women’s boutique in Paris, followed soon thereafter by YSL Rive Gauche for men. Saint Laurent had given birth to a global brand.
His revolutionary Mondrian mini dress from 1965 is a core element of his fashion biography. It is a prime example of how Saint Laurent, an avid art lover and collector, looked to painters, from Goya to Picasso, Ingres to Matisse, for inspiration.
With its pure lines and hues, Mondrian’s ground-breaking 1935 color-block painting Composition C transmutes beautifully into a dress that is highly valued by collectors of contemporary fashion and widely copied commercially to this day. The design is the epitome of Saint Laurent’s aesthetic, requiring a meticulous hand piecing of each color block so that, despite the body’s curves, the visual plane is as flat as a canvas when the garment is worn. Mondrian’s purity met its match in Saint Laurent.
“I am no longer concerned with sensation and innovation, but with the perfection of my style,” Saint Laurent said four years before retiring, in 2002. After a long period of ill health, he died at his home in Paris on June 1, 2008.
Browse an extraordinary collection of vintage Yves Saint Laurent evening dresses, shirts, handbags and other clothing and accessories today on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Philadelphia, PA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- F/W 2002 Yves Saint Laurent by Tom Ford Black Velvet Bow Sheer Silk DressBy Yves Saint Laurent, Tom Ford for Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: an incredibly rare prototype designed by Tom Ford for Yves Saint Laurent's Fall/Winter 2002 collection. This dress is a limited sample version of look number 25...Category
Early 2000s French Cocktail Dresses$3,400 Sale Price20% Off
- 1980s Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Multicolor Stripe Silk Pleated Flare DressBy Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a stunning multicolor striped Saint Laurent Rive Gauche dress, designed by Yves Saint Laurent. From the 1980s, this effortlessly chic dress is the perfect vinta...Category
1980s French Cocktail Dresses$997 Sale Price50% Off
- Early 1990s Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Lace-Up Black Sheer Lace Mini DressBy Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a black lace Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche mini dress. From the early 1990s, this beautiful dress is covered in lace and features a sweetheart-style neckline w...Category
1990s French Cocktail Dresses$1,196 Sale Price20% Off
- F/W 2004 Yves Saint Laurent by Tom Ford Finale Silk Pagoda Chinoiserie DressBy Yves Saint Laurent, Tom Ford for Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a stunning chinoiserie Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche dress, designed by Tom Ford. This beautiful and captivating dress features a structured collar and pagoda ...Category
Early 2000s French Cocktail Dresses$3,960 Sale Price20% OffFree Shipping
- 1990s Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Black Satin Bow Sleeveless DressBy Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a stunning black satin Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche dress. From the 1990s, this little black dress features a deep v-neckline, plunging back, and a black bow ...Category
1990s French Cocktail Dresses$747 Sale Price50% Off
- 1980s Saint Laurent Rive Gauche 3 Piece Grey Silk Ruffle Skirt Blouse SetBy Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a gorgeous silver Saint Laurent Rive Gauche three-piece skirt set, designed by Yves Saint Laurent. From the 1980s, this incredible set is made up of three piece...Category
1980s French Evening Dresses$2,236 Sale Price20% Off
- Sex and The City 2, Iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Newsprint DressBy John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in New York, NYBeing offered is the iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Autumn/Winter 2000-2001 Newsprint Dress worn by Sarah Jessica Parker and lent by Vintage Luxury N.Y. for Sex and the City 2, the movie. The iconic Dior newsprint dress...Category
Early 2000s French Cocktail Dresses
- Iconic Museum-worthy GIANNI VERSACE Atelier Long Black DressBy VersaceLocated in Montgomery, TXGIANNI VERSACE A BLACK EVENING DRESS IN HEAVY LYCRA NET EFFECT, TULLE AND LACE BODICE WORN BY STEPHANIE SEYMOUR IN AVEDON'S AUTUMN/WINTER CAMPAIGN 1993/94. Was auctioned in 2001 on Sotheby's in NYC. Sotheby's auction item # 598 THIS AMAZING DRESS WAS DESIGNED BY GIANNI VERSACE HIMSELF and CAME FROM HIS PERSONAL ARCHIVE COLLECTION! Versace Atelier Content: 60% lana, 40% nylon Versace's phenomenal long dress makes an unforgettable statement with a striking Swarovski crystal embellished gold buttons and sheer plisse panels. Since it was runway sample it has no size. Approximately size 4. Versace at it's best! Museum worthy...Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses
- Christian Dior by John Galliano floral embroidered silk evening dress, fw 1997By John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Important and rare Christian Dior mint silk hand-embroidered evening dress ▪ Designed by John Galliano for his first RTW collection at Dior ▪ Floral embroidery inspired by antique Chinese shawls...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Vintage 1976 Sonny & Cher Documented Custom-Made Bob Mackie Sequin Gown Suit SetBy Bob MackieLocated in Beverly Hills, CAOwn a major slice of celebrity history! Two important, well-documented Sonny & Cher worn garments custom made for their 1976-77 promotional pictures and Westchester/Harrah's performances. The legendary costume designer Ret Turner...Category
1970s American Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Christian Dior by John Galliano silk evening dress and cocoon coat set, ss 1998By John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior evening dress and coat set ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Red and cream floral printed evening dress with train ▪ Red silk jacquard reversible cocoon coat ▪ Persian lamb collar ▪ Gold metal chain fringes...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Vintage 1989 Gianni Versace Haute Couture Beaded Circus Novelty Gown and ShawlBy Versace, Gianni VersaceLocated in Beverly Hills, CAAn exceptional and museum quality Gianni Versace hand-beaded gown and matching full-length shawl dating back to his famous 1989 haute couture collection. This one-of-a-kind ensemble ...Category
1980s Italian Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Chanel by Karl Lagerfeld Haute Couture mauve embroidered lace pant suit, fw 2002By Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel, ChanelLocated in London, GB▪ Chanel Haute Couture mauve lace evening pant suit ▪ Designed by Karl Lagerfeld ▪ Embroidery by Lesage in a plethora of beads, sequins and crystals ▪ Sequin tassel trim ▪ Built-i...Category
Early 2000s French Trouser Pant Suits
- Givenchy by Alexander McQueen Haute Couture brown snakeskin dress, ss 2001By Alexander McQueen for Givenchy Haute Couture, GivenchyLocated in London, GB▪ Givenchy Haute Couture brown snakeskin dress ▪ Designed by Alexander McQueen ▪ Skintight fit ▪ Vertical snakeskin panels with tulle bands ▪ Emb...Category
Early 2000s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Bulgari Rome Elizabeth Taylor Style Colombian Emerald Diamond Necklace SetBy BvlgariLocated in New York, NYBulgari Rome Elizabeth Taylor Style Colombian Certified Emerald Diamond NecklaceDetaches Into Two Bracelets and Detachable Pendant An...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Drop NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, Emerald, 18k Gold
- Alexander McQueen gold metal chain evening mini dress, ss 2006By Alexander McQueenLocated in London, GB▪ Rare Alexander McQueen gold metal chain evening mini dress ▪ Gold and silver metal chain embroidery ▪ Heavy weight ▪ Chain tassel trim ▪ Built-in corset and bra ▪ IT 40 - FR 36 -...Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- 1990's YVES SAINT LAURENT rive gauche black wool dress with lace up backBy Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in San Fransisco, CAJet-black, wool dress with lace up back designed by Yves Saint Laurent dating to the early 1990's. Dress has a slight A-line shape. Ties have shiny silver metal ends and can be worn ...Category
1990s French Cocktail Dresses
- early 1980's YVES SAINT LAURENT abstract woven silk wrap dress with puff sleevesBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in San Fransisco, CAAbstract printed silk wrap dress from Yves Saint Laurent dating to the early 1980's. Colors are jet black, red and white. Labeled a French size 34. Approximate measurements: shoulde...Category
1980s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- 1990's YVES SAINT LAURENT rive gauche navy strapless safari dressBy Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in San Fransisco, CANavy blue, strapless, cotton, safari dress designed by Yves Saint Laurent dating to the early 1990's. French size 38. Best fits a US 2 or small-busted 4. Dress can be adjusted with t...Category
1990s French Day Dresses
- 1980's YVES SAINT LAURENT black denim strapless dress with shell buttonsBy Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in San Fransisco, CAStrapless, black denim dress with oversized shell buttons and horizontal pockets at hips from Yves Saint Laurent dating to the 1980's. No size is indicated however this best fits a U...Category
Late 20th Century French Day Dresses
- Yves Saint Laurent by Stefano Pilati Sz 8 / 10 Grey Snake Skin Print Silk DressBy Yves Saint Laurent, Stefano PilatiLocated in San Diego, CAChic never worn YVES SAINT LAURENT YSL gray snakeskin print silk blend belted sleeveless dress! Fitted bodice with a flattering bubble like skirt. POCKETS at each side of the hips. D...Category
2010s French Cocktail Dresses
- 1980s Yves Saint Laurent Black Short Sleeve Large Size Belted Vintage 80s DressBy Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in San Diego, CAChic and classic early 1980s YVES SAINT LAURENT YSL Rive Gauche black short sleeve belted dress ! Features buttons up the entire front of the dress. Pockets at each side of the hips....Category
1980s French Cocktail Dresses
- WaveBy Louisa ChaseLocated in New York, NYLouisa Lizbeth Chase was born in 1951 to Benjamin and Wilda Stengel Chase in Panama City, Panama, where her father, a West Point graduate, was stationed. The family moved to Pennsylv...Category
20th Century Abstract Abstract PaintingsMaterials
- 90's Claude Lalanne copper «Hortensias» earringsBy Claude LalanneLocated in Paris, FRClaude Lalanne «Hortensias» earrings A pair of galvanised cooper ear clips; stamped signature. Measure: H.: 5 cm.Category
1990s French Collectible JewelryMaterials
- Tiffany Studios New York "Zodiac" BoxBy Louis Comfort TiffanyLocated in New York, NYA gilt bronze “Zodiac” box by Tiffany Studios New York. The box features intricate pseudo-Celtic patterning interspersed with circular elements in sky blue, each of which features a stylized depiction of one of the 12 signs of the Zodiac, all executed in enamel. Customization: We have multiple items currently available, that can be combined to complete a "14 Piece" Desk Set. Product Details: Item #: T-20887 Artist: Tiffany Studios New York Country: United States Circa: 1900 Dimensions: 3.5" high x 6.5" wide Materials: Gilt Bronze, Enamel Signed: Impressed "Tiffany Studios New York" with respective model number Literature: Tiffany Desk Sets by William R. Holland, Atglen, PA: 2008, pp. 19-39; Tiffany Lamps and Metalware by Alistair Duncan, Woodbridge, Suffolk: 2019, p. 429, no. 1756 (for the calendar frame); p. 465, no. 1879 (for the bookends); pp. 482, no. 1946 and 483, no. 1951 (for the match stand); p. 488, no. 1977 (for the cigarette and cigar boxes...Category
Early 20th Century American Art Nouveau Cigar Boxes and HumidorsMaterials
- Cini Boeri for Arflex Modular 'Strips' SofaBy Arflex, Cini BoeriLocated in Waalwijk, NLCini Boeri for Arflex, modular 'strips' sofa, fabric, chrome Italy, 1968 Stunning 'Strips' sofa designed by Italian designer Cini Boeri for...Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern Sectional SofasMaterials
Chrome$24,800 / set
- Hermes Mauve Sylvestre Rose Gold Mini Constance 18cm Epsom Bag Z Stamp, 2021By HermèsLocated in New York, NYHermes Mauve Rose Gold Hardware Mini Constance 18cm Epsom Bag Rare Z Stamp, 2021 Just purchased from Hermes store; bag bears new 2021 interior Z stamp. Perfect Gift! Brand New in Box...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags
Recently ViewedView More
How Do You Authenticate and Care for an Yves Saint Laurent Handbag?
When it comes to the legendary French design house, there is no substitute for true craftsmanship. Xupes shows us how to spot it.
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery