Gucci Runway 1920's Style Chain Mail Evening Dress
About the Item
Long before trend-bucking creative director Alessandro Michele brought his hallucinatory “Utopian Fantasy” campaign to Gucci, it was a modest Italian leather shop. Today, it’s an internationally renowned luxury house with an iconic logo, and vintage Gucci clothing, handbags and shoes are among high fashion's most covetable goods.
Guccio Gucci (1881–1953) admired the stylish suitcases he saw wealthy guests arrive with at the Savoy Hotel in London, where he worked as a bellhop. So, in 1921, after a stint at Franzi, a luggage company in his hometown of Florence, he opened a leather goods shop of his own.
At first, Gucci’s Florence business specialized in equestrian accessories. But as its reputation flourished, particularly among the English aristocracy, so too did its footprint. In 1938, he brought three of his sons — Aldo, Vasco and Rodolfo — into the business and expanded it to Rome and later Milan. In the mid-1930s, a League of Nations embargo against Italy pushed Gucci to experiment with alternatives to imported leather. Its woven hemp fabric from Naples, adorned with the brand’s signature diamond print, was a hit, especially among A-list celebrities. The material was first used on suitcases before finding enduring popularity on handbags. (No list of revered designer purses would be complete without Gucci.)
In the 1950s, Elizabeth Taylor carried one of Gucci’s bamboo-handled tote bags, another adaptation to material rationing. After Jackie Kennedy was seen sporting a slouchy Gucci tote in 1961, it was renamed for the First Lady. Then Grace Kelly, on a visit to the boutique in Milan, inspired Rodolfo Gucci to work with Italian illustrator and Gucci textile designer Vittorio Accornero on the Flora print in 1966. Taking cues from Sandro Botticelli’s Primavera, with its pattern of flora and insects, it was painted entirely by hand and featured no fewer than 37 colors.
In 1953, just 15 days after opening his first store on New York’s 5th Avenue, Guccio passed away at 72. The early 1970s saw store openings in Tokyo and Hong Kong, but by the late 1980s, Gucci was floundering. Rodolfo Gucci took charge in 1982, but family drama and lawsuits ensued. In 1993, Rodolfo’s son, Maurizio, transferred his shares in the company to Investcorp, ending the family’s involvement in Gucci. Dawn Mello, then-president of Bergdorf Goodman, joined as creative director in 1989. But it was Tom Ford, who took over as creative director in 1994, who ultimately revived the brand.
Ford’s racy ads, shot by photographers such as Mario Testino, stirred controversy. And his potent vision of sexed-up femininity — with “jewel-toned satin shirts unbuttoned to there,” as Vogue described his breakthrough 1995 runway show — was wildly successful. The new millennium brought new ownership — Pinault Printemps Redoute in 2004 — and a more toned-down vision from Frida Giannini, who became sole creative director in 2006. Alessandro Michele was named creative director in 2015, and the storied brand took a giant leap forward.
Find vintage Gucci clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Los Angeles, CA
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Gucci by Tom Ford High Style One Arm Bandit Python Print Dress New Cond!By GucciLocated in Los Angeles, CATom Ford for Gucci showcased his Spring 2000 collection inspired by Farrah Fawcett, Blondie and Gwyneth Paltrow. It was all about jersey and python prints in the sexist of styles tha...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Evening Dresses
- Valentino Rnwy "Pretty in Pink" Romantic Off-the-Shoulder Silk Dress Gown SALE!By ValentinoLocated in Los Angeles, CAValentino Off-the-shoulder ruffled print silk-chiffon gown in salmon pink. An easy carefree style for the warmer months ahead. Features peasant style bodice with lace-up billowing ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Evening Dresses
- Jean Paul Gaultier Vintage Thigh High Beaded Body Hugging Evening Dress New!By Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Los Angeles, CAJean Paul Gaultier black knit overlaid with jet sequins throughout the body of the dress. The 4 extended thigh high slits offer a fabulous sexy look each with handsewn sequin chain....Category
20th Century Evening Dresses
- NWT Valentino Runway Red & Pink Evening Dress Seen on Magazine CoverBy ValentinoLocated in Los Angeles, CAOne of the runway hits from Valentino’s Spring 2017 collection. Completely sold out. Magical evening dress with flowing skirt fashioned of cherry red and baby pink diaphanous silk...Category
2010s Evening Dresses
- Tom Ford Lichtenstein-esque Ka-Pow Explosive Appliques Dress Gown New!By Tom FordLocated in Los Angeles, CATom Ford runway beaded multi-color double sunburst gown. KA-POW! Lots of color, lots of glamour makes this really pop! Fashioned of black crepe with a hint of stretch in a bias cut d...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Evening Gowns
- Tom Ford $21.5K Sexy Sleek Black Sequin Gown NwtBy Tom FordLocated in Los Angeles, CAEntrance maker black sequin cut-out gown. A hi fashion design that will surely get you noticed. Long sleeve keyhole front bodice with single side cutout at waist. Thigh high sl...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Evening Gowns
- S/S 1996 Dolce & Gabbana Cheetah Long Stretch GownBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Austin, TXS/S 1996 Dolce & Gabbana Cheetah Long Stretch Gown Condition: missing main label, otherwise excellent 100% viscose Made in Italy Bust: 26"-40", Waist: 23...Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Versace S/S 2005 Runway Logo Belt Plunging Backless Wrap Black DressBy VersaceLocated in Naples, FLVersace S/S 2005 Runway Logo Belt Plunging Backless Wrap Black Dress IT 40 Condition: Good vintage condition, moderate tarnishing on the hardware. FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM @OPULENTAD...Category
Early 2000s Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Azzedine Alaia black white polka dot sleeveless flare babydoll mini dress FR 36By Azzedine AlaïaLocated in Paris, FRAzzedine Alaia sleeveless flared dress in black with white polka dot print Fitted upper which extends into a flared full skirt Concealed back zip Size: FR 36 with plenty of stretch...Category
2010s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Oscar de la Renta SS 2000 yellow grey stripe bustier corset maxi dress ball gownBy Oscar De La RentaLocated in Paris, FRAn incredible gown by Oscar de La Renta from the Spring Summer 2000 collection Pale yellow corset style upper with a grey structured skirt that flares ou...Category
Early 2000s American Ball Gowns
- Lanvin white grecian style washed silk crystal embellished wedding dress gownBy Lanvin ParisLocated in Paris, FRLanvin Paris Collection Blanche Resort 2011 A beautiful floor length grecian style loose fitting ivory gown with crystal embellished waist band that would w...Category
2010s Wedding Dresses
- Dolce & Gabbana F/W 2004 sheer pink lace silk crystal strap dress gownBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Paris, FRAn Incredibly rare floor length gown from Dolce & Gabbana's Fall 2004 collection Pink silk and lace cut out sheer dress with double crystal straps Concealed back zip Size: IT 42. Th...Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Dresses
Recently ViewedView All
Explore a Century of Gucci Fashion in London
The iconic Italian label’s traveling exhibition has just arrived in London.
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.