Halston 1970s Pistachio Green Ultra Suede Short Sleeve Vintage 70s Shirt Dress
About the Item
Recognized for the understated but wholly glamorous fashions he introduced in the 1970s, and revered today for his vintage dresses, sunglasses, handbags and other enduring designs, Roy Halston Frowick defined the spare, body-conscious style of the so-called Studio 54 era. In doing so, he became a legend himself, known simply as Halston, a lean moniker that represented the visionary minimalist ideals he would inject into the world of fashion.
Born in Des Moines, Iowa — but raised in Evansville, Indiana — Halston moved to Chicago in 1952, where he worked as a window dresser by day and studied at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago at night. In the late 1950s, he moved to New York City. As the hat designer for Bergdorf Goodman, he had his first encounter with fame in 1961 when Jackie Kennedy wore a pillbox hat he designed to President John F. Kennedy’s inauguration. Less than a decade later, after hats fell out of fashion and sales plummeted, Halston launched his own ready-to-wear line and opened a Madison Avenue boutique.
One of Halston’s early successes was the sexy Ultrasuede shirtdress, an unassuming adaptation of a man’s oxford shirt introduced in 1972 that became a fashion staple for the well-dressed woman. Named for a washable synthetic fabric that evokes the feel of suede — Halston is said to have previously seen innovative designer Issey Miyake wearing the material — the Ultrasuede shirtdress was cut to complement many figures with buttons that began at the breastbone rather than at the garment’s structured neckline. In one season, 60,000 were sold. Ultrasuede became a Halston signature, and he would use the fabric in coats, luggage and other items.
But it was his seductively simple nightlife designs that made Halston an international name. Often cut on the bias or sewn with single seams, his garments were constructed to flatter the female form like no evening gowns that had come before, popularizing such styles as the halter dress. “Halston brought a spark of the divine to everything he did,” said model Pat Cleveland during an interview about the 2021 Netflix series based on his life.
And, for a while, the designer was as ubiquitous in the clubs as his designs. “For two decades, [Halston] was the king of New York nightlife,” wrote Steven Gaines in Vanity Fair. He was a regular at Studio 54, partying with the likes of Andy Warhol, Bianca Jagger, Liza Minnelli and his Halstonettes, his coterie of glamorous models and muses that included Elsa Peretti. The close friend and collaborator of Halston’s transformed diamond jewelry for Tiffany & Co. after signing a contract with the storied American luxury house in 1974.
Halston won four Coty American Fashion Critics' Awards over the course of his career. In 1973, he sold his company to Norton Simon, and in the early 1980s, it switched ownership again. By 1984, neither his name nor his company were his own. Halston continued to work, however. He collaborated with close friend and legendary choreographer Martha Graham, designing critically acclaimed costumes for her, including for her dance work Persephone in 1987. Halston died of complications from AIDS in 1990.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: San Diego, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Chic 1960s Kelly Green Silk Damask Sleeveless Vintage 60s A-Line DressLocated in San Diego, CAChic early 60s kelly green silk damask A-Line dress ! Features the perfect rich hue of green. Tailored bodice with a forgiving A-Line skirt. Full metal zipper up the back with hook-a...Category
1960s American Cocktail Dresses
- 1970s Holly’s Harp Green Leaf Print Silk Chiffon Tiered Vintage 70s DressBy Holly HarpLocated in San Diego, CABeautiful late 1970s HOLLY’S HARP green silk chiffon long sleeve tiered leaf print dress ! Original owner purchased this rare gem from Holly’s store ...Category
1970s American Cocktail Dresses
- 1970s Teal Traina Neon Green Silk Chiffon Vintage Maxi Dress and Shirt JacketBy Teal TrainaLocated in San Diego, CAAmazing rare 70s TEAL TRAINA neon green silk chiffon spaghetti strap maxi dress and matching shirt jacket ! Tailored stitched bodice with a full skirt. Vibrant colors of neon green, ...Category
1970s American Evening Gowns
- Escada Margaretha Ley Late 1990s Light Green White Boucle Size 452 12 - 14 DressBy Escada, Escada Margaretha LeyLocated in San Diego, CAIncredibly flattering vintage late 90s (never worn) ESCADA pale green boucle dress! Marked Size 42, which translates to a US Size 12 - 14. Green and white boucle, with white trimmed ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary German Cocktail Dresses
- Carole King Vintage 1950s Green Watercolor Floral Silk 3/4 Sleeves 50s DressLocated in San Diego, CABeautiful vintage 1950s 50s rare dress designed by baseball great Leo Durocher's second wife, Grace Dozier Durocher, for CAROLE KING! Luxurious dark green ...Category
1950s American Cocktail Dresses
- 1960s Lime Green Vintage Beaded + Sequined 60s Bright Mod Shift Dress w/ PearlsLocated in San Diego, CAChic vintage 1960s lime green shift dress! Flattering shilouette, with amazing details! Features hand-sewn iridescent sequins and beads at bust, with...Category
1960s American Shift Dresses
- LANVIN GREEN SILK EVENING DRESS size 38 - 6By Lanvin ParisLocated in Montgomery, TXLANVIN Silk evening dress Back zipper Content: 70% polyester, 30% silk Lining: 100% silk Size: FR 38 - US 6 Made in France Pre-owned, in excellent condition. PLEASE VISI...Category
2010s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- New LANVIN GREEN SILK ONE SHOULDER DRESS FR 40 - 8By Lanvin ParisLocated in Montgomery, TXLANVIN Green silk evening one shoulder Dress FR Size 40 - US 8 Made in France New, with tags. 100% authentic guarantee PLEASE VISIT OUR STORE FOR MORE GREAT ITEMS...Category
2010s French Day Dresses
- LANVIN GREEN VISCOSA DRESS Fr 34 - 2By Lanvin ParisLocated in Montgomery, TXLANVIN Green Viscose Dress FR Size 36 - US 4 Made in France Pre-owned, excellent condition! 100% authentic guarantee PLEASE VISIT OUR STORE FOR MORE GREAT ITEMS osCategory
2010s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Flora Kung NWT Green Lily Pond Print Slip DressBy Flora KungLocated in Boston, MAHand-designed lily pond print in various shades of green. Easy, flattering pull-over silk jersey slip dress with deep plunge V and lots of volume in the skirt. Lined bra top. Adjusta...Category
Early 2000s American Casual Dresses
- S/S 2020 Look # 18 VERSACE GREEN SILK JUNGLE PRINT DRESS size EU 38By VersaceLocated in Montgomery, TXVERSACE Collection S/S 2020 Look # 18 Green silk dress Midi length, round neck lane, long sleeves Cutouts on the sleeves Gold-tone ring hardware on the waist Size EU 38 - 2 Made...Category
2010s Italian Day Dresses
- Vintage Moroccan Kaftan Green Maxi Dress circa 1970 Size LLocated in North Hollywood, CAElegant vintage Moroccan green caftan, poly jersey embroidered with black and gold threads design all-over. You could wear this maxi dress kaftan closed ...Category
Mid-20th Century Moroccan Maxi Dresses
Recently ViewedView All
Behind the 1970s and ’80s Glam of ‘Halston’ with the Hit Show’s Costume Designer
Jeriana San Juan explains how she undertook the intimidating project of designing costumes for the new Netflix series about the New York fashion legend. (Hint: She found vintage Halston on 1stDibs!)
The Best Ways to Dress for Your Astrological Sign
Makeup and astrology expert Linda Mason dispenses fashion advice for every zodiac sign. Does your wardrobe match your horoscope?
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery