Hermès unusual toile de jouy cotton dress. circa 1960s
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: 8 (EU)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Measurements Bust: 44inch/91.5cm Waist: 26inch/66cm Shoulder: 16.5inch/42cm Sleeve:14.5inch/36.9cm Total length: 44.7inch/121cm.
- Seller Location:London, GB
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU917110039532
For Hermès, what began as a maker of leather equestrian goods for European noblemen would eventually grow into one of the most storied fashion labels in the world. In 1837, German-born French entrepreneur Thierry Hermès opened a saddle and harness purveyor in Paris. Gradually, the house extended into accessories and luggage for its riders, and today, in paying homage to its origins, the family-run luxury brand resurfaces horse motifs in everything from clothing and modernist jewelry to pillows and handbags.
The first top-handled bag ever produced by Hermès was the Haut à courroies, which made its debut in 1892. A tall bag secured with a folded leather flap (fastened with bridle-inspired straps), it was designed to transport riding boots and a harness. As the world made the switch from horse to automobile, the bag adapted, becoming a multifunctional travel satchel instead of a designated saddlebag. Today, 120 years later, the HAC remains in Hermès’s line — and its distinctive flap and clasping straps have laid the groundwork for some of the house’s other iconic bags.
In the 1930s, Robert Dumas (son-in-law to Émile-Maurice Hermès, Thierry’s grandson) designed a smaller, trapezoidal take on the flap bag with a handle and two side straps. Later, actress Grace Kelly, then engaged to Prince Rainier of Monaco, is said to have used one of these bags to conceal her pregnancy during the 1950s. Because she was photographed constantly, the coverage catapulted her handbag to international popularity. In 1977, Hermès officially renamed the model for her, and the Kelly bag was born. Each Kelly bag takes between 18 and 25 hours to produce, and its 680 hand stitches owe solely to one Hermès artisan.
Robert Dumas was also responsible for another one of the brand’s most iconic offerings: the launch of its first silk scarf on the occasion of Hermès’s 100th anniversary in 1937. Based on a woodblock designed by Dumas and printed on Chinese silk, the accessory was an immediate hit.
Today, vintage Hermès scarves, typically adorned in rich colors and elaborate patterns, serve many functions, just as they did back then. Well-heeled women wear it on their heads, around their necks and, in a genius piece of cross-promotion, tied to the straps of their Hermès bags. Kelly even once used one as a sling for her broken arm.
In 1981, Robert Dumas’s son Jean-Louis Dumas, then Hermès chairman, found himself sitting next to French actress and musician Jane Birkin on a plane, where she was complaining about finding a suitable carryall for the necessary accoutrements of motherhood. After the two travelers were properly introduced, Birkin helped design Jean-Louis’s most famous contribution to the Hermès canon: the Birkin bag, a roomy, square catchall with the HAC’s trademark leather flap top and the addition of a lock and key. Owing to the brand’s legendary commitment to deft, handcrafted construction, the Birkin is an investment that is coveted by collectors everywhere.
While the Kelly and Birkin may be standouts, gracing the arms of everyone from royal heiresses to hip-hop stars in the past few decades, the handbags are but a small part of Hermès’s fashion offerings. Since the 1920s, the brand has produced some of the most desirable leather goods in the world. There’s the Constance bag, a favorite of Jacqueline Kennedy, the recently relaunched 1970s-era Evelyne and, on the vintage market, a slew of designs dating back to the 1920s.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: London, United Kingdom
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Louis Feraud red and tartan moiré evening dress, Circa 1980By Louis FeraudLocated in London, GBThis Louis Feraud dress is constructed from a silk-like moiré polyester material. Worn with a patten leather belt.Featuring a round neckline, long sleeves and fitted bodice. The ful...Category
1980s French Evening Dresses
- Jean Patou silk gold top and natural linen Maxi-skirt evening ensemble, c.1970sBy Jean PatouLocated in London, GBIt is impossible to think of the history of French fashion without referring to Jean Patou. With contemporaries such as Edward Molyneux, Lucien Lelong...Category
1970s Maxi Dress
- Unlabelled Madame Grès iridescent lilac silk evening jumpsuit circa 1970sBy Madame GresLocated in London, GBMadame Grés was not well known by the general public. However the French designer’s long career spanned from the early 1920s to the 1980s. Grés’ contribution to the history of f...Category
1970s French Evening Gowns
- Christian Dior hand printed silk evening blouse. circa 1970sBy Christian DiorLocated in London, GBDior is synonymous with excellence. The importance of the house’s history and cultural legacy invests a Dior garment with fashion that tells a story. Femininity, simplicity and good...Category
1970s British Blouses
- Léonard Paris silk jersey print dress, A / W 1971By Leonard, Leonard of ParisLocated in London, GBLeonard Paris Silk Jersey Dress This dress is constructed from silk jersey printed with a orange, dark chocolate, light chocolate and mustard multi-coloured weave-like ethnic patter...Category
1980s French Cocktail Dresses
- Christian Dior London velvet and taffeta mini evening dress. C.1960sBy Christian DiorLocated in London, GBThe French fashion house which dates back to the 1940s, has been providing customers all over the world with some of the most beautiful garments, whether it's a ready-to-wear dress f...Category
1960s European Evening Dresses
- Azzedine Alaia black white polka dot sleeveless flare babydoll mini dress FR 36By Azzedine AlaïaLocated in Paris, FRAzzedine Alaia sleeveless flared dress in black with white polka dot print Fitted upper which extends into a flared full skirt Concealed back zip Size: FR 36 with plenty of stretch...Category
2010s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Christian Dior Resort 2018 brown cream floral print corset bustier midi dressBy Christian DiorLocated in Paris, FRChristian Dior Resort 2018 Cream midi length dress with brown floral print Boned corset upper with underwire cups Button up front which is f...Category
2010s French Evening Dresses
- Prabal Gurung Mixed Sequin Wrapped Sash Mini DressBy Prabal GurungLocated in Brossard, QCDreamy watercolor sequins create a stunning cocktail piece that is defined by its wrapped asymmetric sash skirt and tapered puff sleeves. V-neck Long puff sleeves Concealed side zip ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Cocktail Dresses
- Oscar de la Renta 2007 Runway Look Brown Ruffle Trim Sun DressBy Oscar De La RentaLocated in San Francisco, CAOscar de la Renta brown pencil dress with raw edged ruffle trim. Grosgrain trim circles the bodice. Boned at bodice for shape. Back zip and hook and eye. Seen in another color in L...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Casual Dresses
- Adolfo 1970s Three Piece Red and Metallic Midi or Maxi Skirt and Tank Dress SetBy AdolfoLocated in San Francisco, CAThree piece vintage Adolfo burgundy red and metallic floral brocade skirt(s) and top set, circa 1970s- 80s, ensures you're set for any occasion! Pair the the bodice with the long ski...Category
1970s American Evening Dresses
- UNWORN Dolce & Gabbana 2006 Gold Metallic Lace Tassel Empire Dress Gown 42By Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Switzerland, CHGORGEOUS DOLCE & GABBANA GOLDEN LACE DRESS ONE OF THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PIECES BY DOLCE & GABBANA DETAILS: A DOLCE & GABBANA timeless classic signature piece that will last you ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Cocktail Dresses
Recently ViewedView All
How to Spot a Fake Hermès Birkin Bag
The iconic Birkin bag is much coveted — and often copied. Find out how to tell the real deal from a convincing fake. Of course, you don't have to worry about this on 1stDibs, where every seller is highly vetted.
This Hermès Baseball Bag Is, Ahem, a Home Run
The beloved Bolide, one of the luxury house’s classic travel pieces, gets a playful spin in this 2018 special edition.