Jean Paul Gaultier Runway Sheer Nude Mesh Maxi Dress, Spring-Summer 2001
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: IT 42 (US 6-8) (EU)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Excellent condition.
- Seller Location:Geneva, CH
- Reference Number:Seller: 1DJD07431stDibs: LU56010467832
Jean Paul Gaultier
Endeavoring to tear down gender stereotypes and sartorial norms on the catwalk, making underwear outerwear, putting men in skirts and models of all shapes and sizes on the runway, the wildly provocative French fashion designer Jean Paul Gaultier has created transformational clothing designs that draw on numerous influences and boldly merge haute couture with street sensibility.
An only child raised in the suburbs of Paris, Gaultier didn’t have a formal fashion education. But he loved to sketch and was drawn to clothing, citing the corsets in his maternal grandmother’s closet as having a formative impact on his creative direction. He’s said that some of his earliest fashion work was for his teddy bear, and later he would send his sketches to designers he revered, including Pierre Cardin.
Gaultier began his career in 1970 as an assistant to Cardin, who admired the sketches the 18-year-old had sent for his appraisal. After Gaultier had his first runway show in 1976, featuring unconventional statements like pairing motorcycle jackets with ballerina skirts, it didn’t take long for his star to rise. His playful but exquisitely crafted reimaginings of classic Parisian styles — the striped mariner shirt, the trench coat — soon became recurring themes of Gaultier’s eponymous house, which he founded with his life partner and business associate Francis Menuge in 1982. “He was absolutely peerless for the longest time in the late ’80s and early ’90s,” fashion editor Tim Blanks told the New York Times. This was the period of Gaultier’s most iconic designs.
In 1984, Gaultier’s “Boy Toy” collection challenged men’s fashion with striped shirts and skirts — and sold around 3,000 of them. He was hailed for spectacle-laden runway shows and superb tailoring. Gaultier began to work with Madonna during the late 1980s, and, at the pop star’s request, he designed the costumes for her 1990 “Blond Ambition” tour. Her pink corset became a cultural touchstone of the era.
Gaultier continued to expand his brand, debuting his first couture collection in 1997 and creating costumes for film and stage. He was nominated for a César Award for Best Costume Design for The City of Lost Children (1995) and then a second for Luc Besson’s The Fifth Element (1997).
From 2003 to 2010, Gaultier was the creative director for Hermès. The first international exhibition of his work, “The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk,” debuted in 2011 at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and toured to cities including Stockholm, New York City, Dallas and London. He presented his last ready-to-wear collection in 2014 and in 2020 stepped down from his couture line, ending his boundary-pushing, industry-shaping reign with a raucous show of more than 230 outfits formed from fragments of collections from across his 50-year career.
One of fashion’s enfants terribles, Gaultier has never sought out pretty for pretty’s sake. Instead, he has challenged the traditional ideals of beauty. Today, the designer's vintage clothing designs — experimental undergarments cut from lace and suede, leather-trimmed evening dresses and jackets of denim, plastic or striped jersey — are as punk as they are high fashion.
Browse a wide range of Jean Paul Gaultier clothing and accessories today on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Geneva, Switzerland
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- 1950’s Haute Couture Tapestry Beaded DressLocated in Geneva, CHA rare example of 50’s Egyptian haute couture, at the time Egypt was a constitutional monarchy, this feminine “Miss Egypt” dress is crafted in a flowery ta...Category
1950s Egyptian Cocktail Dresses
- Yves Saint Laurent Patron Original Evening DressBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Geneva, CHA beautiful and rare haute couture find, this 70’s YSL evening dress is made of refined satin silk, featuring an abstract black pattern upon a rich g...Category
1970s French Evening Dresses$2,500Free Shipping
- Jean Paul Gaultier Ruffles DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Geneva, CH2007 was the year Jean Paul Gaultier celebrated 30 years of fashion. His Spring-Summer ready-to-wear fashion show opened with an euphoric retrospective of the most iconic designs he ...Category
Early 2000s French Cocktail Dresses
- Abraham Pelham Haute Couture Gown and StoleLocated in Geneva, CHAbraham Pelham designed initially for Bill Blass, Calvin Klein and Bergdorf Goodman private label. In 1998 he began creating clothes under his own label, on a made-to-order basis, at...Category
Early 2000s French Ball Gowns
- Jean Paul Gaultier Couture Runway Dress, Fall-Winter 2013-2014By Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Geneva, CHConstructed in the most refined airy silk chiffon, this haute couture runway dress (look 22 -> see picture 3) is a lightness dream. This special piece features a bustier dress (see picture 14) and an over-dress. The skirt of the bustier dress has 3 layers of silk chiffon of different colors. Inspired by the automnal tones, the shades are divine. The dress closes on the left side with a concealed zip, four press buttons, two hooks and eye. Cut for a loose fit, the over-dress features a turtleneck collar which is embellished with iridescent crystal embroideries (see pictures 7 & 17). Echoing the crystal colors, the dress is made of an amazing shot silk chiffon. Raglan sleeves, it closes at the rear of the neck with tree hooks and eye in addition of two scarf like silk chiffon extensions, which delicately fall along the back. Fits approx. : US 4-6 / FR 38 Measurements (taken flat) : Bustier dress -> Width (armpit to armpit) approx. 41 cm (16.1 inches) Waist approx. 36.5 cm (14.4 inches) Length (armpit to waist) approx. 18.7 cm (7.4 inches) Length (waist to hem) approx. 68 cm (26.8 inches) Over-dress -> Width (armpit to armpit) approx. 58 cm (22.8 inches) Length (shoulder to hem) approx. 93.5 cm (36.8 inches) Total length approx. 100 cm (39.4 inches) This item has been professionally cleaned, pressed & carefully inspected by a couture-trained seamstress before being sold. Credit photo : Picture n° 3 -> Jean Paul Gaultier Couture...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Evening Dresses
- Courreges Sleeveless A-Line Maxi DressBy André CourrègesLocated in Geneva, CHThis late 60’s - early 70’s black cotton sateen Courreges maxi dress is a great example of the modernist design for which André Courrèges is famous. Of structured A-line silhouette and with unusual fishnet neckline, it is creating an advantageous effect. Labeled, this simple though sexy and elegant dress closes with a concealed zip, hook and eye on the left side plus three hooks on the left shoulder. Unlined, the size is a Courreges size b...Category
1670s French Maxi Dresses
- Mariano Fortuny Claret Delphos. Provenance Tina ChowBy FortunyLocated in Riverdale, NYThis dress is made of finely pleated claret colored silk with silk cording along side seams, and multicolored glass beads threaded through the cording. The beads are amber glass with...Category
Early 20th Century Italian Art Deco Delphos GownsPrice Upon Request
- Mariano Fortuny Sienna Peplos GownBy FortunyLocated in Riverdale, NYThis dress is made of finely pleated sienna colored silk with silk cording along side seams,shoulders and tunic hem with multicolored glass beads threaded through the cording.
Early 20th Century Italian Art Deco PeplosPrice Upon Request
- Mariano Fortuny Rare Shell Pink Long Sleeved Delphos GownBy FortunyLocated in Riverdale, NYDescription: This dress is made of finely pleated shell pink colored silk with silk cording along side seams, and multicolored glass beads threaded through the cording.
Early 20th Century Italian Art Deco Delphos GownsPrice Upon RequestVintage GIANNI VERSACE VERSUS Asymmetric Shoulder Lurex Gold Metallic DressBy Gianni Versace, VersusLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage GIANNI VERSACE VERSUS Asymmetric Shoulder Lurex Gold Metallic Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Bust: 18.50 inches (47 cm) Waist: 17.71 inches (45 cm) Hips: 18.90 inches (48 cm) Length: 34.25 inches (87 cm) Features: - 100% Authentic GIANNI VERSACE VERSUS. - Lurex metallic dress with asymmetric shoulder detailing. - Iconic Versace lion...Category
1990s Italian Cocktail DressesVintage 1997 JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Tortoise Shell Embellished Print Open Back DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage 1997 JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Tortoise Shell Embellished Print Open Back Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Bust: 15.75 inches (40 cm) open ba...Category
1990s French Evening DressesNEW Prada Asian-Inspired Ruched Printed Silk Cocktail Dress 38By PradaLocated in Switzerland, CHBeautiful PRADA dress Closes in front with invisible buttons Asian-inspired collar Pleated details Yellow/Gold-coloured fabric trimming Printed silk, "Prada" discreetly written on f...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Cocktail Dresses$1,519 Sale Price20% Off
- Isamu Kenmochi Coffee TableBy Isamu KenmochiLocated in San Francisco, CAA coffee table by Isamu Kenmochi in bent Brazilian rosewood with curved legs. Signed with applied manufacturer's label to underside: [Tendo]. Literature: Japanese Modern, Mori, pg. 143.Category
Vintage 1960s Japanese Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
RosewoodPrice Upon Request
- Hermes Birkin 30 Orange Crocodile Bag Palladium HardwareBy HermèsLocated in Miami, FLMightychic offers a Niloticus Crocodile Hermes Birkin 30 bag featured in Orange. Fresh palladium hardware accentuates this gorgeous orange crocodile H...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Top Handle Bags
- 21st Century Le Nuvole Sofà White S. Giobbi for Giovannetti CollezioniLocated in Casalguidi, ITSeat and backrest with wooden structure in multilayers and stell- Seat and backrest padding in polyurethane foam of different layers covered with tissue and synthetic fiber for bette...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Modern SofasMaterials
- GLASS SHELVES #1 '1976', by Shiro Kuramata for Glas ItaliaBy Shiro Kuramata, Glas ItaliaLocated in Macherio, ITGlass Shelves #1 (1976) Shelves is shown here in the transparent glass. Bookcase characterised by the extraordinary formal cleanness and the golden proportions, entirely realized in ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Modern ShelvesMaterials
- Vintage Solitaire Cushion Shape Old Mine Diamond Ring, French, circa 1950Located in London, GBVintage solitaire cushion shape old mine diamond ring. Set with one central cushion shape old mine diamond, M colour, VS2 clarity, with an approximate weight of 3.01 carats, in an op...Category
Vintage 1950s French Solitaire RingsMaterials
Diamond, White Gold, Yellow Gold$46,670Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery