John Galliano black viscose crêpe bias cut low back evening gown, fw 1988
About the Item
Known for introducing rich theatricality and memorable fashion spectacles to the runway, John Galliano has enjoyed a singular career. The audacious British designer has garnered universal acclaim for genre-breaking collections not only at his eponymous label but also for Givenchy and Christian Dior.
From his embroidered absinthe-green Oscars gown for actress Nicole Kidman to the iconic sleeveless newspaper-print dress that Sex and the City’s Carrie Bradshaw made famous, Galliano’s intricate and multifaceted work is reliably newsworthy, drawing on history as often as it embodies a fresh and forward-looking sensibility, and over the years the designer has helped shape an ever-broadening new legion of enthusiasts for Parisian couture.
Born in Gibraltar but raised in South London by strict Roman Catholic working-class parents, Galliano attended the all-boys Church of England grammar school, where his flamboyance and interest in art attracted the attention of bullies. Eventually, Galliano ended up at the prestigious design and art school Central Saint Martins College (then called Saint Martin’s School of Art), where fellow British designers Stella McCartney and Alexander McQueen also trained.
Galliano flourished at Central Saint Martins. While a student, he worked in the costume department at the National Theatre in London. His graduate collection in 1984, dubbed “Les Incroyables” and named for post–French Revolution fashion lovers, was modeled by close friends of his and earned a standing ovation. The line ended up in the storefront windows of London luxury boutique Brown’s on South Molton Street, and Galliano’s first official collection — after he graduated — debuted at Paris Fashion Week in 1989.
In the early 1990s, Galliano’s relationship with his financial backer, Plein Sud’s Faycal Amor, ended, and by 1994, he was broke and sleeping on the floor of a friend’s apartment. Vogue editor in chief Anna Wintour and then-Vanity Fair editor André Leon Talley stepped in and introduced the budding designer to Portuguese socialite and fashion patron São Schlumberger and others. At Schlumberger’s Hôtel Particulier, Galliano’s shows became the stuff of fashion legend. His collection, a blend of Japanese modernist style as well as nostalgia for Art Deco and 1940s’ tailoring, earned raves in glossy magazines and garnered the attention of Princess Diana, Madonna and other fashion luminaries.
Once the Galliano name was well known among the world’s most stylish set, the chairperson of LVMH, Bernard Arnault, appointed Galliano head designer of French fashion house Givenchy. One year later, in 1996, LVMH moved him to the design team at Dior, where he produced scores of celebrated looks for Dior Haute Couture. Today, Galliano is the creative director of Maison Margiela.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: London, United Kingdom
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Gianni Versace black velvet one sleeve dress, fw 2004By Gianni VersaceLocated in London, GBGianni Versace black velvet figure hugging mid length dress with circular cut out, silver Versace clasp on shoulder and ruched seams on hips. Fall-Winter 2004Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Gianni Versace black evening dress with leather strap ss 2001By Donatella Versace for Gianni VersaceLocated in London, GBOne-shoulder black dress with leather strap and gathers at strap on front and back. Spring-summer 2001Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Dresses
- Alexander McQueen denim corset dress, fw 1996By Alexander McQueenLocated in London, GBVintage Alexander McQueen denim corset dress. One of his earliest collections when Alexander McQueen himself was the designer and had a denim l...Category
1990s British Evening Dresses
- Azzedine Alaia brown chenille knitted 'houpette' mini dress, ss 1994By Azzedine AlaïaLocated in London, GBAzzedine Alaïa brown chenille-knitted 'Houpette' mini dress. Sculpted figure-hugging design with concentric chenille bands. Spring-Summer 1994Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Hardy Amies couture black wool embellished evening dress, c. 1960By Hardy AmiesLocated in London, GBHardy Amies couture black wool embellished evening dress constructed with four horizontal panels attached with thick wool thread. c. 1960Category
1960s British Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Tom Ford pink and black silk multi panelled evening maxi dress, fw 2015By Tom FordLocated in London, GB▪ Tom Ford multicoloured evening dress ▪ 100% Silk ▪ Undulating panels in fuchsia, champagne pink and black ▪ Black velvet bodice ▪ Black tinsel panel ▪ High leg slit at centre ba...Category
2010s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- F/W 1998 Gucci by Tom Ford Semi-Sheer Black Bodycon DressBy Tom Ford, GucciLocated in Austin, TXF/W 1998 Gucci by Tom Ford Semi-Sheer Dress L/S Black Bodycon Condition: Excellent Viscose & Spandex Made in Italy Bust: 32"-48", Waist: 26"-43", Hips: 36"-56", Length: 44" SIZE: 4...Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- 1980s Patrick Kelly Black Cocktail DressBy Patrick KellyLocated in Austin, TX1980s Patrick Kelly black dress with stretch. Condition: Excellent Size M 27" bust, 23' waist, 27" hips, 48" length. 95% polyamide, 5% elastaneCategory
1980s American Cocktail Dresses
- Versace Spring 06 blue brown leather silk sleeveless bustier midi dress IT 38By VersaceLocated in Paris, FRVersace Spring 2006 Navy blue bustier dress with brown ribbon print Leather & suede braiding over mesh to the bust and straps Falls below the knee F...Category
Early 2000s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Crystal Studded Show BraLocated in Amsterdam, NLThis bra is embroidered with colored crystals, sequins and fringe We offer more exclusive vintage items, view our frontstore Details: Handmade bra with hard cups Hooks closures at...Category
20th Century Bras
- Art Deco Gold Sequins Black Silk TopLocated in Amsterdam, NLWe offer more special vintage sequins items, view our frontstore Details: Black top embroidered with beads and color seguin's with goldtone in art deco style Lined with 2 shoulderpa...Category
20th Century Aesthetic Evening Dresses
Recently ViewedView All
How John Galliano Caused Fashion Chaos around the Globe
The visionary designer epitomizes the pleasures and perils of irrepressible creative genius.
The Best Ways to Dress for Your Astrological Sign
Makeup and astrology expert Linda Mason dispenses fashion advice for every zodiac sign. Does your wardrobe match your horoscope?