John Galliano Chiffon Tee Shirt Dress With Paiettes
About the Item
Known for introducing rich theatricality and memorable fashion spectacles to the runway, John Galliano has enjoyed a singular career. The audacious British designer has garnered universal acclaim for genre-breaking collections not only at his eponymous label but also for Givenchy and Christian Dior.
From his embroidered absinthe-green Oscars gown for actress Nicole Kidman to the iconic sleeveless newspaper-print dress that Sex and the City’s Carrie Bradshaw made famous, Galliano’s intricate and multifaceted work is reliably newsworthy, drawing on history as often as it embodies a fresh and forward-looking sensibility, and over the years the designer has helped shape an ever-broadening new legion of enthusiasts for Parisian couture.
Born in Gibraltar but raised in South London by strict Roman Catholic working-class parents, Galliano attended the all-boys Church of England grammar school, where his flamboyance and interest in art attracted the attention of bullies. Eventually, Galliano ended up at the prestigious design and art school Central Saint Martins College (then called Saint Martin’s School of Art), where fellow British designers Stella McCartney and Alexander McQueen also trained.
Galliano flourished at Central Saint Martins. While a student, he worked in the costume department at the National Theatre in London. His graduate collection in 1984, dubbed “Les Incroyables” and named for post–French Revolution fashion lovers, was modeled by close friends of his and earned a standing ovation. The line ended up in the storefront windows of London luxury boutique Brown’s on South Molton Street, and Galliano’s first official collection — after he graduated — debuted at Paris Fashion Week in 1989.
In the early 1990s, Galliano’s relationship with his financial backer, Plein Sud’s Faycal Amor, ended, and by 1994, he was broke and sleeping on the floor of a friend’s apartment. Vogue editor in chief Anna Wintour and then-Vanity Fair editor André Leon Talley stepped in and introduced the budding designer to Portuguese socialite and fashion patron São Schlumberger and others. At Schlumberger’s Hôtel Particulier, Galliano’s shows became the stuff of fashion legend. His collection, a blend of Japanese modernist style as well as nostalgia for Art Deco and 1940s’ tailoring, earned raves in glossy magazines and garnered the attention of Princess Diana, Madonna and other fashion luminaries.
Once the Galliano name was well known among the world’s most stylish set, the chairperson of LVMH, Bernard Arnault, appointed Galliano head designer of French fashion house Givenchy. One year later, in 1996, LVMH moved him to the design team at Dior, where he produced scores of celebrated looks for Dior Haute Couture. Today, Galliano is the creative director of Maison Margiela.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: New York, NY
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Emerald Green and Black Gown Attributted to Irene Galitzine C. 1960'sBy Irene GalitzineLocated in New York, NYAttributed to Irene Galitzine, sleeveless gown, having a black net bodice embellished with jet beads and sequins. Skirt of the dress is a structured shape, in an emerald green, tone...Category
1960s Italian Evening Gowns
- Chanel Couture Chiffon Cocktail DressBy Chanel, Karl Lagerfeld for ChanelLocated in New York, NYChanel Couture,apricot tone, sleeveless, chiffon, chemise style, cocktail dress, having diagonal, pleating detail and a gathered tiered hem.Category
1980s French Cocktail Dresses
- Yves Saint Laurent RIve Gauche Velvet Evening DressBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in New York, NYYves Saint Laurent, black velvet, long sleeve, evening gown, having a deep V neckline, empire waist with some gathering under the bust and a deep slit at the center front.Category
1990s French Evening Gowns
- Galanos Lace Cocktail DressBy GalanosLocated in New York, NYGalanos, lace and silk crepe, long sleeve, cocktail dress . Red lace outer layer having a floral ribbon embroidery detail over a yellow silk crepe, creating a dramatic color effect...Category
1980s American Cocktail Dresses
- Versace 2011 Green Medusa Collection Bustier cocktail DressBy Versace Collection, Gianni VersaceLocated in Bilbao, ESVersace 2011 Green Medusa Collection silk evening coktail dress with gold-tone Medusa embellishment at center bust, corset bustier bodice, a sweatheart...Category
2010s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Spring 2000 Gucci by Tom Ford Green, Turquoise And Black Snakeskin Print DressBy Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in London, GBA Spring 2000 Gucci by Tom Ford jersey dress with an all-over snakeskin print incorporating the House script, in shades of verdigris-green, turqu...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Junior Checkered Pattern Velvet Emerald Green DressBy Junior Gaultier, Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Junior Checkered Pattern Velvet Emerald Green Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips:...Category
1990s French Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Gucci Wool Lamé Floral Jacquard DressBy GucciLocated in Brossard, QCGreen and gold floral patterned wool is punctuated by lamé detail on this front tie gown. Rich in pattern and decoration Green and gold wool lamé floral jacquard...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Evening dress in green crêpe and embroideries Bob Bugnand for Sam FriedlanderBy Bob Bugnand for Sam FriedlanderLocated in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FRLong Evening backless dress in green crêpe and embroideries. Boned bustier underneath. Zip on the left side. SIZE 38 (M)Category
1960s American Evening Dresses
- Ivory silk crêpe dress with turquoise blue beadwork and beltLocated in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FRIvory silk crêpe dress with turquoise blue beadwork and belt. Silk lining. snap ( covered with fabric) in the middle back and zip. Zip on the cuff as well. Shoulder pads. Draped and ...Category
1980s Unknown Cocktail Dresses
- Charles Pfister for Knoll Club Chair in Cognac LeatherBy Charles Pfister, KnollLocated in Waalwijk, NLCharles Pfister for Knoll International, lounge chair, leather, United States, 1970s This lounge chair is designed as part of a lounge collection in 1971 bij Charles Pfister. Exe...Category
Vintage 1970s American Post-Modern Club ChairsMaterials
- Hermes Mini Lindy Magnolia Swift BNIBBy HermèsLocated in West Hollywood, CAHermes brand new in box mini lindy magnolia swift leather with palladium hardware. Date stamp U, 2022. Coveted new size , can be worn in three ways, also cr...Category
2010s French Shoulder Bags
- Swedish Designer, Sconce, Brass, Red-Lacquered Metal, Sweden, c. 1950sLocated in High Point, NCA brass and red-lacquered metal sconce designed and produced in Sweden, c. 1950s.Category
Vintage 1950s Swedish Scandinavian Modern Wall Lights and SconcesMaterials
- French Wooden Console Table w/Single Board Top & Raised on Fabulous Legs!Located in Atlanta, GAA French fruitwood console table with unusual legs. This contemporary table from France features a rectangular-shaped top comprised of a singl...Category
20th Century French Console TablesMaterials
- Estate GIA 2.74ct Natural Fancy Yellow Oval 3 Stone Diamond Platinum RingLocated in New York, NYA Superb ESTATE 3 STONE NATURAL FANCY "Cognac" Yellow Oval cut GIA 2.74ctw DIAMOND Ring. The Center Diamond is 2.25CT in Natural Fancy Brownish Yellow color, SI1 clarity (eye clear)...Category
Early 2000s Engagement RingsMaterials
Diamond, Yellow Diamond, Platinum, 18k Gold
Recently ViewedView All
How John Galliano Caused Fashion Chaos around the Globe
The visionary designer epitomizes the pleasures and perils of irrepressible creative genius.
The Best Ways to Dress for Your Astrological Sign
Makeup and astrology expert Linda Mason dispenses fashion advice for every zodiac sign. Does your wardrobe match your horoscope?
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery