Moschino Cheap And Chic Red Wool Scalloped Dress
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: Size 8 (US)Shoulder to Hem: 32 in (81.28 cm)
- Style:1980s/1990s (Of the Period)
- Place of Origin:Italy
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Los Angeles, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU2262212626162
The Moschino story begins in the early 1980s, when Franco Moschino (1950–94), a freelance magazine illustrator and Gianni Versace collaborator, founded a label in Italy whose ethos was all about having fun.
Moschino initially pursued a degree in painting at Milan Academy of Fine Arts during the late 1960s, turning to freelance illustration to help pay his way through school. He found inspiration in Pop art, Dadaism and bold graphics. During the 1970s, he began to work for Gianni Versace’s now-legendary house as a sketcher and freelanced as a clothing designer with other fashion labels. In 1983, encouraged by Versace, he launched his own extravagant and excessive couture collection.
Moschino’s expertly tailored, vibrant designs for casual wear and more, each adorned with loud, playful details, spoofed the chic high fashion of the day, and his close relationship with fine art — as well as his eye for innovation — welcomed comparisons to Elsa Schiaparelli over the years. The label’s work essentially mocked the industry even as its hand fed Moschino, with the founder emblazoning shirts with slogans such as “Good taste doesn’t exist” or embroidering jackets with the phrase “Waist of money,” while the theatrical shows were positioned with an undercurrent of critique. Today, the Metropolitan Museum of Art holds two vintage Moschino handbags in its collection: one shaped like a milk carton and the other an iron.
“Under all the surface witticisms, [Moschino] had a serious knack for running class pieces through a wringer of irony or Surrealism,” observed Vogue. “Chanel-isms were his favorite trope, though he also poked fun at Jean Paul Gaultier’s lingerie dressing and put out pasta bags in a parody of the Prada accessories craze.”
Accessories, jeans and the first men’s collection were presented at the Regal Palace in Milan in 1985, with his Moschino Jeans womenswear collection following in 1986. Then Moschino released Moschino for Women, its first fragrance, the next year in Europe. In 1988, long before brands had considered the concept of a spin-off, Moschino bowed its cheeky diffusion line for men and women, Moschino Cheap & Chic, during the shows in Milan. The label thrived, adding its first stores in Italy and campaigning for eco-friendly fur. Its retrospective-slash-fashion-show “X Years of Kaos” in the early 1990s benefited a children’s AIDS organization.
After Moschino’s untimely death at the age of 44 from AIDS complications, Rossella Jardini, his longtime friend and colleague, took the reins. She carried the torch for nearly 20 years, adding eyewear, watches and jewelry. American designer Jeremy Scott was named creative director in 2013.
Scott, who grew up on a farm and once unveiled a collection of evening dresses charred with burn marks, imbues all his work with a message of inclusion, be it his Fast Food collection in 2014 (hot dog dress included) or Moschino Barbie. “I don’t care if the critics don’t like me,” Scott told Vogue. “I want to be the people’s designer, like Diana was the people’s princess.”
Find vintage Moschino clothing on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Los Angeles, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Moschino Cheap Chic Red Black Velvet Party DressBy Moschino, Moschino Cheap and ChicLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino cheap chic red black velvet party dress This vintage party dress is absolute perfection with black velvet bodice with tiny tassels. ...Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Moschino Cheap Chic Red Maxi Long DressBy MoschinoLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino cheap chic red maxi long dress Be retro glam wearing this red hot Long Dress by Moschino Cheap and Chic! Perfect for date night. side pockets! Si...Category
1990s Italian Maxi Dress
- Nicole Miller Chess Print Pawn Horse Queen King Jacket DressBy Nicole MillerLocated in Los Angeles, CANicole Miller chess print pawn horse queen king jacket dress Nicole Miller makes special occasion shines with this unique Chess Board print dress with fun...Category
1990s Unknown Day Dresses
- Moschino Cheap and Chic Houndstooth Bustier DressBy Moschino, Moschino Cheap and ChicLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino houndstooth bustier dress The perfect date night dress is here with this rouched and gathered sheath dress by Moschino Cheap and Chic wi...Category
2010s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Moschino Couture Cruise Me Baby Strapless DressBy MoschinoLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino couture cruise me baby strapless dress This dark navy wool pinstripe dress with flirty ruffles on the front is from the Cruise Me Baby line of...Category
1990s Italian Day Dresses
- Moschino Black Silk Satin High Low DressBy MoschinoLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino black silk satin high low dress This dramatic evening gown is ultra modern w/ a high low hem and slight train in back. The silk satin has wire...Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses
- Chalayan Red Dress Show Runway Piece Panoramic AW 1998By Hussein ChalayanLocated in Berlin, DEHussein Chalayan incredible red dress from show aw 1998 "Panoramic". Material : Viscose 72% / Poly 28% Made in Italy Original size : SCategory
1990s Italian Day Dresses
- Azzedine Alaïa red ribbed knit fishtail dress. Sculpted figure. Circa 1990By Azzedine AlaïaLocated in Bilbao, ESAlaïa ribbed knit fishtail evening dress with nude knit underdress and zip fastening at the rear. Spring-Summer Mid 1990 Alaïa is revered for his independence and passion for discr...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Cocktail Dresses
- Dolce & Gabbana Red Wool Mini Dress Size 42By Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Beverly Hills, CAProduct details: Featuring crew neck line, 3/4 sleeves (measure 18.25 inches long), above the knee length and concealed rear zip closure.Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Mini Dresses
- Prabal Gurung Burgundy Chiffon GownBy Prabal GurungLocated in Thousand Oaks, CAFloor-length burgundy chiffon gown by Prabal Gurung. Halter tie neck, knife pleated skirt, with deep side slit. Fits size US 10. 100% SilkCategory
21st Century and Contemporary American Evening Dresses and Gowns
- GUCCI Tom Ford Burgundy Wrap GownBy GucciLocated in Thousand Oaks, CAGucci burgundy red long sleeve wrap evening gown. Tom Ford era. Sash with gold chain accents. 100% viscose. Size 40Category
2010s Evening Dresses and Gowns
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery