NEW Missoni Signature Chevron ZigZag Crochet Knit Dress with Leather Belt 42
About the Item
In 1953, Ottavio “Tai” (1921–2013) and Rosita (b. 1931) Missoni opened a small knitwear shop in Gallarate, Italy, paving the way for what would become an iconic style of colorful chevron knit.
Missoni began with a tracksuit, which featured zippers down the legs because, as Rosita recalls it, “Tai was too lazy to take off his shoes when putting them on.” The couple’s fashion really took off, though, once they discovered the Raschel knitting machine on a trip to a shawl factory. The machine enabled the Missonis to knit multiple colors in a zigzag pattern, a motif that would go on to become synonymous with the Missoni brand across everything from its alluring vintage day dresses and sweaters to its purses, seating and rugs.
Missoni held its first fashion show in Florence in 1967 and caused a bit of a sensation when the models’ Lurex dresses proved translucent under the lights at the Pitti Palace. Scandal aside, the show went down in history as a hit, and the Missonis soon made their debut in the United States with the help of legendary fashion editor Diana Vreeland, who gave the variegated Missoni stripe the Vogue seal of approval, saying, “Who says a rainbow has seven colors? It has many shades.” (It was also Vreeland who reportedly introduced the Missonis to Neiman Marcus president Stanley Marcus, effectively shepherding the brand to the American market.)
Missoni’s many-shaded rainbow would soon become an emblem of the 1970s fashion scene, earning the brand a permanent place in the fashion canon. In 1973, the New York Times proclaimed: “Missoni’s weaved garments have ended up universal materialistic trifles, as Vuitton sacks and Gucci shoes.”
The brand branched into the home market in 1983, with Rosita overseeing this new venture, which included furniture, textiles and accessories. Daughter Angela succeeded her mother at the helm of the brand, where she still serves as president and creative director today; her brother Luca is CEO, while her daughter Margherita is creative director of offshoot M Missoni.
Find vintage Missoni clothing and accessories today on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: DXB, United Arab Emirates
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- NEW Missoni Signature Chevron Zigzag Knit Faux Wrap Dress 40By MissoniLocated in Switzerland, CHBeautiful multicolor shades Classic MISSONI signature zigzag knit Simply slips on Wrap style Dry Clean only Made in Italy Size 40 Unworn Please refer to celebrity and AD / runway pi...Category
2010s Italian Informal Dresses
- NEW Chanel Multicolor Signature Gripoix Button Crochet Knit Dress Gown 34 DUBAIBy Chanel, Karl Lagerfeld for ChanelLocated in Switzerland, CHA stunning knit dress by Chanel A timeless classic Featured in many editorials, seen on the runway and the AD campaign Finest crochet knit Scoop neck Beautiful Gripoix buttons Slits...Category
2010s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- UNWORN Dolce & Gabbana 1996 Cherry Print Corset Silk Cocktail Dress Gown 42By Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Switzerland, CHBreathtaking Dolce & Gabbana Cherry Print Corset Dress Details: A Dolce & Gabbana classic signature piece that will last you for years From the famous 1996 collection The cherry pr...Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- CHANEL Signature Monochrome Silk Print Asymmetric Wrap Style Dress 38By ChanelLocated in Switzerland, CHA classic CHANEL signature piece Asymmetric dress Finest silk with a timeless monochrome print Discreetly signed with „CHANEL“ Pleated details on shoulders Simply slips on, closes wi...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Day Dresses
- NEW Emilio Pucci by Peter Dundas Silk Lace & Leather Cocktail Evening Dress 42By Peter Dundas, Emilio PucciLocated in Switzerland, CHGorgeous dress by Peter Dundas designed for Emilio Pucci Special piece in black and blue colors Extraordinary material combination Finest silk combined with softest lambskin glove le...Category
2010s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Gucci by Tom Ford Pleated Powder Silk Dress with StripesBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Switzerland, CHStunning Dress by Tom Ford for Gucci For his final summer collection for Gucci in 2004 Sample piece from the Atelier Beautiful panel silk dress Handstitching Pleating details Strip...Category
Early 2000s Italian Informal Dresses
- Jacques Heim psychedelic print silk cocktail dress. circa 1960sBy Jacques HeimLocated in London, GBJacques Heim is inextricably linked with the history of French fashion. In the years 1958-1962 he was the president of the highly influential Paris Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Cout...Category
1960s French Cocktail Dresses
- Neutral Floral NWT ethereal silk kimono dress - FLORA KUNGBy Flora KungLocated in Boston, MAOne of Flora's personal favorites (she owns 2!) Easy to wear, ethereally chic, timeless and seasonless. Just enough flare on the kimono sleeve. 5" slit on either side. Print: Gray...Category
Early 2000s American Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Racil Ruffed Printed Silk Crepe De Chine Maxi DressLocated in London, GBThis bohemian maxi dress by Racil is cut from floaty silk crepe de chine decorated with whimsical fans, the flouncy ruffles swish and sway so beautifully in a belted wrap silhouette....Category
21st Century and Contemporary Maxi Dresses
- NEW ALEXANDER McQueen LONG DRESS size 42 - 6By Alexander McQueenLocated in Montgomery, TXAlexander McQueen Size 42 - 6 Brand new, with tags! PLEASE VISIT OUR STORE FOR MORE GREAT ITEMS rooCategory
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- VALENTINO WHITE COTTON LACE DRESS size 40 - SBy ValentinoLocated in Montgomery, TXVALENTINO White cotton lace dress Size: US S Pre-owned. Excellent condition. PLEASE VISIT OUR STORE FOR MORE GREAT ITEMS AVCategory
2010s Italian Day Dresses
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery