Polka dot chiffon bustier dress with chiffon bow Lanvin
About the Item
- Dimensions:Length: 31.5 in (80 cm)Marked Size: 36 (S) (EU)Bust: 28.35 in (72 cm)Waist: 23.63 in (60 cm)Hip: 37.8 in (96 cm)
- Style:Circa 1960 (Of the Period)
- Place of Origin:
- Material Notes:Dress material : 100% silk Lining : cupro and acetate
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FR
- Reference Number:Seller: (5074) 1stDibs: LU2170215288432
The career of Jeanne Lanvin (1867–1946) and her eponymous brand began with a millinery apprenticeship in the late 19th century. Today, Lanvin Paris is a globally revered company and is among the oldest French fashion houses still in existence. It is renowned for its exquisite and sought-after vintage evening dresses, shoes, skirts and other garments and accessories and for having dressed such high-profile celebrities as Meryl Streep, Natalie Portman, Kim Kardashian and Sienna Miller.
In 1889, when her apprenticeship came to an end, the young French designer Jeanne Lanvin opened a custom hat shop on the rue Boissy d’Anglas in Paris. Four years later, she moved her business into a much more prominent space on the rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré, one of the world’s most famous luxury fashion districts. The new Maison Lanvin was big enough to display the pieces she would design for her daughter, Marguerite, who was born in 1897. The relationship between Lanvin and her daughter would be at the core of the brand, with a 1907 photograph of Jeanne and Marguerite in matching outfits inspiring the fashion house’s enduring logo.
In 1908, Lanvin launched a line of children’s clothing, one of the first such moves in high-end fashion. When mothers came in to buy the clothes, they often asked for similar designs for themselves. Lanvin decided to introduce a women’s wear line with pieces that had a youthful femininity. This would grow to encompass everyday clothing, evening dresses, coats, lingerie and furs, as well as menswear, perfume and household items. Once she became a member of the Chambre Syndicale de la Couture (Parisian Fashion Council) in 1909, her title officially switched from milliner to designer.
Along with her stylish designs, Lanvin identified the importance of brand identity through fabric colors, opening a dye factory in Nanterre, France. There the distinctive “Lanvin blue” was produced, so even if her designs were copied, the colors could never be exactly reproduced.
After Jeanne Lanvin's death, her daughter, Marguerite Marie-Blanche de Polignac, took over and a series of talented artistic directors would propel the brand through the trends of the 20th century, including Jules François Crahay, Dominique Morlotti, Alber Elbaz and, most recently, Bruno Sialelli. In 2018, Lanvin was acquired by the Fosun Fashion Group, which is now focused on celebrating Lanvin’s heritage while pushing it into a new chapter.
Find vintage Lanvin Paris clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: SAINT-OUEN-SUR-SEINE, France
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Fully embroidered with sequin and beads dress Black Tie By Oleg CassiniBy Black Tie by Oleg CassiniLocated in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FRFully embroidered dress with sequin and beads on a silk chiffon base. Rayon lining. Size LCategory
1970s American Cocktail Dresses
- Evening bustier dress in black satin and embroidered lace Pénélope ZagoraLocated in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FREvening draped bustier dress in black satin and embroidered lace with sequin and satin ribbons. Black lace bow on the side of one hips. Size MCategory
1970s French Evening Dresses
- Long rayon dress leopard print Moschino Cheap and ChicBy Moschino Cheap and ChicLocated in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FRLong rayon dress leopard print. Zipped on the side . SIZE 8Category
Early 2000s Italian Maxi Dress
- Long evening bustier dress in tulle with velvet appliqué Circa 1930Located in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FRLong evening bustier dress in tulle with velvet appliqué and sequin and beads embroidered. Nude silk jersey lining on the bust, lining is missing on the skirt. Size 38 (M)Category
1930s Unknown Evening Gowns
- Christian Dior by John Galliano black waxed cotton opera coat, ss 1999By John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior opera coat ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Black waxed cotton ▪ Voluminous shape ▪ Shawl lapel ▪ Wide sleeves ▪ Two ties at the back fasten to create a bustle ▪ F...Category
1990s French Coats and Outerwear
- Dolce & Gabbana black silk spandex and leather lace up dress, ss 2003By Dolce & GabbanaLocated in London, GBDolce & Gabbana; black silk spandex figure hugging evening dress. - Lambskin leather grommet trim - Open on both sides with lace up fastenings - Invisible side zip closure ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- John Galliano shredded python corset and chenille skirt ensemble, fw 1995By John GallianoLocated in London, GB▪ John Galliano bustier and skirt showpiece ensemble ▪ Bustier corset of shredded python ▪ Hook fastenings to the back opening ▪ Black figure-huggi...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Issey Miyake faux fur vest and skirt ensemble, A/W 2000By Issey MiyakeLocated in London, GB- Vest with emphasised breast panels and wrap design - Blanket wrap skirt with button closures - Faux fur / leatherette suede Autumn-Winter 2000Category
1990s Japanese Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Dolce & Gabbana black priest coat and feathered velvet hat ensemble, fw 1997By Dolce & GabbanaLocated in London, GBDolce & Gabbana black full length priest coat with button fastenings from collar to hem. Velvet fedora hat with pleated silk band and feathered motif. Fall-Winter 1997Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Dolce & Gabbana black crepe evening dress with lace cut outs and bra, A/W 1997By Dolce & GabbanaLocated in London, GB- Black bra with lace - Open back - V shaped cut outs on waist with lace Autumn-Winter 1997Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery