Tom Ford Signature Black Body Hugging Gown with Cape New!
About the Item
No one understands sex appeal quite like American designer Tom Ford.
An avowed perfectionist from an early age, Ford was rearranging furniture at the age of six and offering his mother advice on her hair and shoes. The designer, author, film director and chairman of the Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) is one of the most successful people working in fashion today.
Born in Austin, Texas, Ford grew up in the suburbs of Houston and Santa Fe, New Mexico. He briefly attended New York University, where he studied art history before dropping out to pursue acting. He became a regular at Studio 54, with its decadent nightlife later informing his high-octane fashion. He studied architecture at Parsons School of Design before shifting his focus to fashion and spending time at the Parsons Paris campus, graduating in 1985. The rest of the decade he worked for designers Perry Ellis and Cathy Hardwick. In 1990, Gucci’s creative director Dawn Mello hired him as a womens-wear designer.
At the time, the Italian label was better known for leather goods than luxury fashion. It was also nearly bankrupt. After Mello left in 1994, following a Bahrain-based investment group becoming Gucci’s majority shareholder, Ford was named creative director. He soon infused the brand with a fresh sensuality and bold style. His fall 1995 show, in which Kate Moss walked down the runway in an unbuttoned satin shirt, velvet hip-huggers and tousled hair, heralded an exciting, glammed-up era for the once fusty brand. Vogue critic Sarah Mower called it “one of those hitting-in-the-solar-plexus moments.”
As Ford shot to fame, he continued to explore plunging necklines, such as in the black and white looks of the Fall 1996 collection, and sumptuous fabrics like leather and tweed, with the Fall 2000 ready-to-wear collection ranging from sultry silk evening dresses to plush belted coats. He also cranked up the seduction in the provocative ads for the fashion house, particularly with regard to campaigns for Yves Saint Laurent, which Gucci acquired in 1999 (Ford was also named creative director for YSL and designed the brand’s ready-to-wear collection). Gucci's Fall/Winter 1997 campaign featured Carolyn Murphy grasping Angela Lindvall in what looked like a video still; in another shot, a face pressed against a foot in a lipstick-red heel. Each promoted a vision of modern fashion where women were sexually confident, the materials were luxurious and the styles were fearless.
In 2004, Ford and Gucci president Domenico De Sole left the company after failing to agree on the renewal of their contracts. In 2006, with De Sole as chairman, Ford launched his wildly successful eponymous menswear label. The brand has expanded into womens wear, beauty, accessories — vintage Tom Ford handbags are universally adored by celebrities and collectors alike — as well as eyewear and fragrance, with the unisex Black Orchid introduced in 2006. Ford broke into film directing with the critically acclaimed A Single Man in 2009 and Nocturnal Animals in 2016, continuing to blur the boundaries between fashion and culture.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Los Angeles, CA
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Rare Comme des Garcons Runway "Broken Bride" Wedding Ensemble Coat & DressBy Comme des GarçonsLocated in Los Angeles, CARei Kawakubo's Fall 2005 "Broken Bride" Collection emphasized beautiful and romantic "nuptial" clothing inspired by the Victorian era. Look #23 on the runway showcases a full length coat with an attached wedding dress fashioned of silk with an antique look of parchment. This ensemble is that which is being offered. Asymmetric draped dress is fashioned of silk and cotton with patterns of Victorian lace, stains, imprinted on the front of the dress. The coat is substantial and weighty fully lined and includes a belt. Garment is cleverly designed as one (1) piece giving the illusion of 2 separate pieces. Garments displays...Category
Early 2000s Dress and Coat Ensembles
- Moschino Couture Runway Corset Tux Jumpsuit Holiday Dressing! NWTBy Moschino CoutureLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino Couture jumpsuit specially designed with dramatic exciting eye catching presence! Ruched rich rose magenta silk bodice with fine black wool tux style trousers. Boned bodic...Category
2010s Evening Dresses
- Richard Quinn Runway Duchess Satin & Silk Coat Dress EnsembleBy Richard QuinnLocated in Los Angeles, CAStunning purple bellflower coat with matching dress evening ensemble by Richard Quinn. Fashioned of duchess satin and silk illustrated in a painterly monet fabric. Coat is oversiz...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Dress and Coat Ensembles
- Tom Ford/Gwyneth Paltrow Iconic Oscar Gown & Cape New!By Tom FordLocated in Los Angeles, CASuper stunning iconic Tom Ford evening gown with matching cape. Identical to the one worn by Gwyneth Paltrow to the Oscars. The gown fashion...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Dress and Coat Ensembles
- Jonathan Simkhai $12K Embroidered Jumpsuit with Dramatic Removeable Train NewBy ValentinoLocated in Los Angeles, CAOffered new with tags Jonathan Simkhai jumpsuit with removable train. As seen on the runway of the 2017 Resort Collection. A different and distinct creation for special occasion d...Category
- Moschino Rare Roy Lichtenstein Jacket and Pants Suit S/S 1991By MoschinoLocated in Los Angeles, CAFranco Moschino, Cheap & Chic suit, 1992. Features Lichtenstein cartoon-like dot design, printed words in Italian say Domani E’ Un Altro Giorno - "Tomorrow is Another Day". Designe...Category
20th Century Trouser Pant Suits
- A Jacques Griffe French Couture Dress and Jacket Set Circa 1960By Jacques GriffeLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1960 France Dress and jacket set in chiné and damask silk satin with brown and beige leaves by Jacques Griffe Haute Couture dating from the early 1960s. Jacket with long sleeves and raglan collar. Two fake pockets in the front. Front closure with buttons covered with the same fabric as the set. Straight and slightly skin-tight dress...Category
1960s French Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- 1950’s Black Silk Couture Fitted Evening Pencil Skirt and Top SetLocated in London, GBFabulous 1950’s couture but unlabelled evening ensemble consisting of a black silk asymmetrical top with multiple spaghetti straps and a full-length pencil skirt. The top features ...Category
1950s American Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Emilio Schubert Black Fringed Military Epaulet Cocktail Dress Suit - M, 1960sLocated in Tucson, AZ“Tailor of the stars” and a darling of the Cinecittà Studios, Emilio Federico Schubert created incomparable garments that celebrated La Dolce Vita before it had the name. Though Vale...Category
1960s Italian Dress and Coat Ensembles
- Vivienne Westwood rope print knitted cowl-neck top and drape skirt set, ss 1998By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GB▪ Vivienne Westwood rayon-knit top and skirt 2-piece set ▪ Allover beige rope print ▪ Cowl-neck top ▪ Draped knee-length skirt with elasticated waistband ▪ Size Medium ▪ 100% Rayo...Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Luisa Spagnoli Vintage Chic Grey Wool Skirt SuitBy Luisa SpagnoliLocated in Milano, ITRare wool suit with skirt by Luisa Spagnoli from the 1980s, made in Italy. ORIGINAL LABEL. The suit consists of a jacket and skirt, made entirely of gr...Category
1980s Italian Skirt Suits
- Chanel Black, Gold and Royal Blue Lurex DressBy ChanelLocated in London, GBThis contemporary Chanel dress, made of an eye-catching lurex in an abstract print of black, gold and blue. The silhouette is reminiscent of ancient Greek dress...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Twin Sets