Vintage Lanvin Dress
About the Item
- Dimensions:Length: 30 in (76.2 cm)Marked Size: Small (US)Bust: 32 in (81.28 cm)Waist: 26.5 in (67.31 cm)Hip: 43 in (109.22 cm)
- Style:Givenchy (In the Style Of)
- Place of Origin:
- Material Notes:1980s, 80s, Lanvin, Vintage, Evening, Gown, Cocktail, Dress, Little Black Dress, Strapless, Designer, Velvet, Moire, Taffeta, Formal, Ruffle, Unique, Short, Runway, Bows, Origami, Sexy, 1990s 90s
- Seller Location:Sparks, NV
- Reference Number:Seller: 1D-19041stDibs: LU3868612472
The career of Jeanne Lanvin (1867–1946) and her eponymous brand began with a millinery apprenticeship in the late 19th century. Today, Lanvin Paris is a globally revered company and is among the oldest French fashion houses still in existence. It is renowned for its exquisite and sought-after vintage evening dresses, shoes, skirts and other garments and accessories and for having dressed such high-profile celebrities as Meryl Streep, Natalie Portman, Kim Kardashian and Sienna Miller.
In 1889, when her apprenticeship came to an end, the young French designer Jeanne Lanvin opened a custom hat shop on the rue Boissy d’Anglas in Paris. Four years later, she moved her business into a much more prominent space on the rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré, one of the world’s most famous luxury fashion districts. The new Maison Lanvin was big enough to display the pieces she would design for her daughter, Marguerite, who was born in 1897. The relationship between Lanvin and her daughter would be at the core of the brand, with a 1907 photograph of Jeanne and Marguerite in matching outfits inspiring the fashion house’s enduring logo.
In 1908, Lanvin launched a line of children’s clothing, one of the first such moves in high-end fashion. When mothers came in to buy the clothes, they often asked for similar designs for themselves. Lanvin decided to introduce a women’s wear line with pieces that had a youthful femininity. This would grow to encompass everyday clothing, evening dresses, coats, lingerie and furs, as well as menswear, perfume and household items. Once she became a member of the Chambre Syndicale de la Couture (Parisian Fashion Council) in 1909, her title officially switched from milliner to designer.
Along with her stylish designs, Lanvin identified the importance of brand identity through fabric colors, opening a dye factory in Nanterre, France. There the distinctive “Lanvin blue” was produced, so even if her designs were copied, the colors could never be exactly reproduced.
After Jeanne Lanvin's death, her daughter, Marguerite Marie-Blanche de Polignac, took over and a series of talented artistic directors would propel the brand through the trends of the 20th century, including Jules François Crahay, Dominique Morlotti, Alber Elbaz and, most recently, Bruno Sialelli. In 2018, Lanvin was acquired by the Fosun Fashion Group, which is now focused on celebrating Lanvin’s heritage while pushing it into a new chapter.
Find vintage Lanvin Paris clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Sparks, NV
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- 1950s Mam'selle Betty Carol Vintage Black Striped Tuxedo Wiggle Cocktail DressBy Betty CarolLocated in Sparks, NVDarling black cotton 1950s wiggle dress with a striped tuxedo detail and oversized collar. By Mam'selle by Betty Carol. Unlined with side pockets. B...Category
1950s American Day Dresses
- 1980s Jacques Molko Vintage Black Patent Leather + Wool Avant Garde DressBy Jacques MolkoLocated in Sparks, NVBlack wool and shiny patent avant garde dress by Jacques Molko. Fully lined with front zip closure. Front pockets. Structured shoulders pads are sewn...Category
1980s French Cocktail Dresses
- Lanvin 1980s Vintage Strapless Little Black Dress with PeplumBy Lanvin ParisLocated in Sparks, NVChic vintage 1980s strapless little black dress by Lanvin. Asymmetric button detail and flouncy peplum detail. Medium weight ribbed cotton fabric. Details: Fully Lined in Cotton B...Category
1980s French Day Dresses
- 1960s Helga Vintage Cocktail DressBy HelgaLocated in Sparks, NVAbsolutely stunning 1960s vintage silk satin cocktail dress by Helga. Metallic brocade paisley design over gray silk animal print. Nipped waist with bow detail. Stunning construction...Category
1960s American Cocktail Dresses
- 1960s Vintage Black Satin Floral Brocade Cocktail Dress with Box PleatsLocated in Sparks, NVSimple and chic 1960s vintage cocktail dress with short sleeves and box pleats. Partially lined with rear metal zip and hook closure. Fits like a modern size small. The bust measures...Category
1960s American Cocktail Dresses
- Bill Blass Vintage Chocolate Brown Tiered Silk Party DressBy Bill BlassLocated in Sparks, NVElegant chocolate brown tiered silk party dress by Bill Blass. Simple and chic. Details: Fully Lined Matching Belt Back Zip and Hook Closure ...Category
Late 20th Century American Cocktail Dresses
- Vintage S/S 1997 Gucci by Tom Ford Runway Red Velvet Chain Strap Backless DressBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: S/S 1997 Gucci by Tom Ford Runway- second photo is Kate Moss wearing the dress in Harpers Bazaar CONDITION: Good- The origi...Category
1990s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- S/S 1999 Atelier Versace Runway Patent Leather Crystal Embellished Mini DressBy Donatella Versace, Atelier VersaceLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: S/S 1999 Atelier Versace runway CONDITION: Good- no flaws! MATERIAL: Patent leather w...Category
1990s Italian Mini Dresses
- Late 1980s Yves Saint Laurent Couture Navy DressBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in London, GBAn iconic Yves Saint Laurent couture dress from the late 1980s. This dress features a peter pan collar with an overlaid Lavallière sty...Category
20th Century French Day Dresses
- Vintage MOSCHINO CHEAP and CHIC "Are You Feeling Dirty" DressBy Moschino, Moschino Cheap and ChicLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage MOSCHINO CHEAP and CHIC "Are You Feeling Dirty" Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Bust: 17.32 inches (40 cm) not stretched Waist: 14.96 inches (36 cm) not stretched Hips: 17.32 inches (41 cm) not stretched Length: 57 inches (104 cm) Features: - 100% Authentic MOSCHINO Cheap and Chic. - Halter neckline with opening at the back. - Print of a lady with apron stating "Maid in Italy" and jeweled shoes...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Vintage KARL LAGERFELD Colorful Logo Print Pleated Sleeveless DressBy Karl LagerfeldLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage KARL LAGERFELD Colorful Logo Print Pleated Sleeveless Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 12.20 in...Category
1980s French Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Vintage 1994 MOSCHINO COUTURE "WHAM" Patchwork Novelty DressBy Moschino, Moschino CoutureLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage 1994 MOSCHINO COUTURE "WHAM" Patchwork Novelty Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Bust: 15.35 inches (39 cm...Category
1990s Italian Aesthetic Day Dresses
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery