Vintage PACO RABANNE Logo Chainmail Metal Harness Dress
About the Item
Visionary designer Paco Rabanne first made a name for himself in the 1960s when he introduced dresses, handbags and other clothing and accessories that went against the common sensibilities of the time and challenged the public's perception of what fashion should be. By working with unlikely materials such as paper and Rhodoid — a cellulose acetate plastic often used to line baking pans — Rabanne forced the fashion world to reconsider materials and form.
Rabanne was born Francisco Rabaneda y Cuervo in Spain’s Basque region. His mother was the head seamstress at Balenciaga when she relocated herself and her son to France in 1939 to escape the Spanish Civil War. Once in France, he took on the name Paco Rabanne.
Rabanne studied architecture at the Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Beaux-Arts in Paris but pivoted toward fashion and began to design accessories and costume jewelry. Rabanne collaborated with many acclaimed luxury houses — his early clients included Charles Jourdan, Givenchy, Pierre Cardin and Dior.
By 1966, Rabanne was working on avant-garde designs in his own newly-opened studio. He introduced a couture collection titled “Twelve Unwearable Dresses in Contemporary Materials.” The garments — made of aluminum, plastic and eco-friendly paper and fastened with wire — were unveiled at a show that featured music and models of color (both uncommon characteristics for such an event). Sculptural, sexy and solidly Space Age in appearance, Rabanne’s experiments turned heads. Pop star-actresses Brigitte Bardot and Françoise Hardy would soon be seen in the designer’s iconic metallic dresses, and Rabanne found enthusiasts in the likes of revolutionary couturier Elsa Schiaparelli and art collector Peggy Guggenheim. In 1968 Rabanne designed leather boots and erotically charged dresses made of molded plastic and chain-mail mesh for the science fiction film Barbarella.
Rabanne called Salvador Dalí a close friend and drew on the Surrealist movement in his designs. He continued to use unconventional materials in his work. From aluminum jersey and fur to ostrich feathers and Velcro, everything was suitable for his pioneering garments. And Rabanne’s talents are diverse — his prolific output even includes stylish furniture.
In 1999 Rabanne retired from the fashion business. In 2010 he was named Officer of the Legion d’Honneur by the French culture minister. Today, under the creative direction of French designer Julien Dossena, the Paco Rabanne brand continues to innovate and offer looks that nod to the past as well as the future.
Find vintage Paco Rabanne clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Kingersheim, France
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Tube Collar Cuff Black DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Tube Collar Cuff Black Dress Measurements taken laid flat please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 16.53 inches (42 cm) ...Category
20th Century French Mini Dress
- Vintage CHRISTIAN DIOR by JOHN GALLIANO Velvet Flower Embellished DressBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage CHRISTIAN DIOR by JOHN GALLIANO Velvet Flower Embellished Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and w...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Cocktail Dresses
- Vintage KARL LAGERFELD Colorful Logo Print Pleated Sleeveless DressBy Karl LagerfeldLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage KARL LAGERFELD Colorful Logo Print Pleated Sleeveless Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 12.20 in...Category
1980s French Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Vintage 1994 MOSCHINO COUTURE "WHAM" Patchwork Novelty DressBy Moschino Couture, MoschinoLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage 1994 MOSCHINO COUTURE "WHAM" Patchwork Novelty Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Bust: 15.35 inches (39 cm...Category
1990s Italian Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Vintage CHANEL BOUTIQUE Velvet Halter Formal DressBy Chanel BoutiqueLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage CHANEL BOUTIQUE Velvet Halter Formal Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double waist and hips: Bust: 17 4/8 inches Waist: 14 i...Category
20th Century French Evening Dresses
- Vintage MOSCHINO CHEAP and CHIC "Are You Feeling Dirty" DressBy Moschino, Moschino Cheap and ChicLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage MOSCHINO CHEAP and CHIC "Are You Feeling Dirty" Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Bust: 17.32 inches (40 cm) not stretched Waist: 14.96 inches (36 cm) not stretched Hips: 17.32 inches (41 cm) not stretched Length: 57 inches (104 cm) Features: - 100% Authentic MOSCHINO Cheap and Chic. - Halter neckline with opening at the back. - Print of a lady with apron stating "Maid in Italy" and jeweled shoes...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Dolce & Gabbana black silk spandex and leather lace up dress, ss 2003By Dolce & GabbanaLocated in London, GBDolce & Gabbana; black silk spandex figure hugging evening dress. - Lambskin leather grommet trim - Open on both sides with lace up fastenings - Invisible side zip closure ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Christian Dior by John Galliano black waxed cotton opera coat, ss 1999By John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior opera coat ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Black waxed cotton ▪ Voluminous shape ▪ Shawl lapel ▪ Wide sleeves ▪ Two ties at the back fasten to create a bustle ▪ F...Category
1990s French Coats and Outerwear
- John Galliano shredded python corset and chenille skirt ensemble, fw 1995By John GallianoLocated in London, GB▪ John Galliano bustier and skirt showpiece ensemble ▪ Bustier corset of shredded python ▪ Hook fastenings to the back opening ▪ Black figure-huggi...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Alexander McQueen black silk devoré corseted evening dress, fw 2004By Alexander McQueenLocated in London, GB▪ Alexander McQueen evening dress ▪ Fine black silk devoré ▪ Cowl neck ▪ Built-in silk organza corset ▪ Floor-length skirt ▪ Silk velvet halter-neck ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Versace black wool cut out maxi dress with high leg slit, ss 2016By VersaceLocated in London, GB▪ Versace black wool evening maxi dress ▪ Cut-out detail at the front and back of the bodice ▪ High leg slit ▪ Frayed trim ▪ Knot ties at the hip and shoul...Category
2010s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Issey Miyake faux fur vest and skirt ensemble, A/W 2000By Issey MiyakeLocated in London, GB- Vest with emphasised breast panels and wrap design - Blanket wrap skirt with button closures - Faux fur / leatherette suede Autumn-Winter 2000Category
1990s Japanese Evening Dresses and Gowns
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery