- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Vintage Valentino Red Silk Slip Dress with Lace Inserts & Open Back
- DimensionsMarked Size: Read full description (NA)Bust: 36 in (91.44 cm)Waist: 30 in (76.2 cm)Hip: 38 in (96.52 cm)
- Place of Origin
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. A few pulled threads.
- Seller LocationPortland, OR
- Reference NumberSeller: 221371stDibs: LU223216673492
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Beaverton, OR
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
About the Manufacturer
The mononymously known Italian designer Valentino Clemente Ludovico Garavani (b. 1932) is renowned for his fashion house of romantic styles and feminine shapes that he founded in Rome in 1960.
An early fascination with fashion developed when Valentino attended the theater as a child and was dazzled by the evening gowns on stage. While a teenager in Voghera, Lombardy, he studied under Italian designer Ernestina Salvadeo and soon moved to Paris, where he trained at the École des Beaux-Arts and the Chambre Syndicale de la Couture Parisienne. Valentino spent time apprenticing under haute couturiers Jean Dessès and Guy Laroche, learning how to design and construct high fashion while also thinking about how to strike out on his own.
In 1959, Valentino returned to Italy, and a year later, he opened his own salon, soon joining with longtime professional and personal partner Giancarlo Giammetti. It was located on Rome’s trendy Via Condotti and modeled after the French maisons. One of his earliest clients was Elizabeth Taylor, who discovered Valentino while she was in Rome filming Cleopatra and ordered the white dress that she wore to the premiere of Spartacus. When the designer launched his first couture line in 1962 with its fiery red colors, it was internationally celebrated, with Valentino soon attiring fashion trendsetters including Princess Margaret and Audrey Hepburn. He formed an especially close friendship with Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, for whom he designed numerous dresses. Luxurious drapery with fine needlework, bold uses of color and dramatic flourishes would define Valentino fashion across the decades.
As a fashion house, Valentino is best known for its signature Valentino Red color, though one of its iconic lines is the monochromatic “no colour” collection for which the designer won the Neiman Marcus Award in 1967. (The collection also debuted his trademark “V.”) The white and beige dresses led to a demand for Valentino wedding gowns, with clients including Elizabeth Taylor, Jennifer Lopez and Anne Hathaway. Valentino retired from his fashion empire in 2007, with Alessandra Facchinetti and then the duo Maria Grazia Chiuri (who departed in 2016) and Pierpaolo Piccioli succeeding him as creative directors. But Valentino still steps out of retirement for special occasions, such as designing a wedding gown for Princess Madeleine of Sweden in 2013. Today, the brand has expanded far beyond women’s haute couture and prêt-à-porter to encompass various lines of accessories, including shoes, sunglasses, scarves and perfume.
- Valentino Garavani 2008 Documented Black Silk Crepe Evening Dress w Satin BowBy ValentinoLocated in Portland, ORThis is a wonderful 2008 Valentino evening dress that is the epitome of elegance and refinement. This dress is from Valentino's last year as a designer at the label. We love dresses ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Dresses
- Beaded Valentino Black Silk Evening Suit Tassels & Avant Garde Pleated ShouldersBy ValentinoLocated in Portland, ORThis is an absolutely sensational Valentino raw silk skirt evening suit with a gorgeous blazer that has a beaded bow with tassels in the front. The jacket has a plunging neckline, wo...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Valentino Vintage 2 Piece Dress Yellow Burn Out Velvet Top & Black Velvet SkirtBy Valentino, Valentino NightLocated in Portland, ORThis beautiful 3 piece vintage dress from Valentino includes a burn out velvet top in a yellow, green, orange and black floral print and a slim black velvet skirt. The semi sheer fa...Category
1980s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Valentino Sequin Beaded Peach & Gold Evening Dress with Silk Rope Beaded BeltBy ValentinoLocated in Portland, ORThis is a sensational Valentino flapper inspired evening dress in shades of pink, blue and gold. This incredible dress is one of those pieces we get every now and then that takes our...Category
21st Century and Contemporary European Cocktail Dresses
- Valentino Red Crepe Vintage Dress With DrapingBy ValentinoLocated in Portland, ORThere is nothing like the perfect red! The Valentino dress is in the classic "Valentino red" which is such a flattering color and it has just the right pigment to flatter all skin t...Category
Early 2000s European Evening Dresses
- Vintage Valentino Night Black Velvet and Lace Evening DressBy ValentinoLocated in Portland, ORThis is such a fun evening dress by Valentino Night from the 1980s! It is black velvet with three bands of black floral lace running across the bodice and carrying onto the sleeves. ...Category
1970s European Evening Dresses
- NWT Valentino Runway Red & Pink Evening Dress Seen on Magazine CoverBy ValentinoLocated in Los Angeles, CAOne of the runway hits from Valentino’s Spring 2017 collection. Completely sold out. Magical evening dress with flowing skirt fashioned of cherry red and baby pink diaphanous silk...Category
2010s Evening Dresses
- VALENTINO Pink and White Silk Cocktail Dress with Floral Pattern Size 4By ValentinoLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis Valentino dress is composed of a pink and white silk combination with floral print. Features a mock neck with ruched waist. There is a side zipper closure. In excellent vintag...Category
20th Century Italian Cocktail Dresses
- VALENTINO Red Wool Dress Size 6-8By ValentinoLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis Valentino dress is composed of a red wool. Features center front buttons and side pockets. In excellent vintage condition. **Please cross-reference measurements for person...Category
20th Century Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Valentino Red Lace Bow Detail Sleeveless Sheath Dress MBy ValentinoLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2This stylish and chic dress by Valentino is perfect for special occasions and evenings. Crafted from intricate lace, it carries a striking hue of red and has a sleeveless silhouette....Category
2010s Italian Sheath Dresses$336 Sale Price54% Off
- Valentino Red Lace Butterfly Appliqued Sheath Dress SBy ValentinoLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2The beauty of this lovely Valentino dress lies all in the details! The ravishing red creation features an overlay of floral lace that brings to life bead-embellished butterflies. It ...Category
2010s Italian Evening Dresses
- Valentino Burgundy & Pink Paneled Silk Crepe Short Sleeve Maxi Dress SBy ValentinoLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2A chic maxi dress that you can easily slip into is a must-have for your wardrobe. Thanks to this gorgeous Valentino maxi dress, you don't have to wait any longer. Cut from burgundy-p...Category
2010s Italian Maxi Dress