- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Vintage Yves Saint Laurent Black Lace with Gold lace thread
About the Item
Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche
Visionary French fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent was the first to launch a ready-to-wear label, YSL Rive Gauche Prêt-à-Porter. The inaugural Rive Gauche boutique — a modern shop in Paris’s bustling, bohemian Left Bank district — offered stylish garments and accessories that were intended to be affordable for a younger generation of fashion enthusiasts. The store featured Mies van der Rohe chairs and played host to actor Catherine Deneuve during its grand opening.
Saint Laurent pioneered “cross-design” in fashion, taking inspiration from street trends to modernize haute couture. He was the first couturier to open boutiques for both men and women. Using traditional menswear fabrics and designs for women, he also literally cross-dressed, giving men and women alike chic pant suits, elegant tuxedo jackets and urban safari gear. By blurring gender-specific design, he empowered individual style while creating a scissor-sharp fashion aesthetic of sensual ease and beauty. Many of his designs are today considered timeless classics. Saint Laurent also consistently used Black models, like Mounia, Iman and Naomi Campbell, and he drew endless inspiration from different ethnicities and cultures, in no small part because of his Algerian roots.
Born to French parents in Oran, Algeria, in 1936, Saint Laurent went to Paris at age 17 to study fashion at the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture. Just two years later, in 1955, his remarkable sketches were shown to Christian Dior, then the world’s reigning couturier, who hired him immediately.
Surprisingly soon thereafter, Dior publicly chose Saint Laurent as his successor, which sadly proved prescient when the fashion legend died unexpectedly, in 1957. A mere slip of a youth, the 21-year-old Saint Laurent was nevertheless up to the challenge. He shook the traditional couture clientele to its core with youthful silhouettes and styles like the A-line trapeze dress that hung with seeming effortlessness from the shoulders, the antithesis of the pinched waists and molded skirts that had been all the rage after the deprivations of World War II.
After a mandated spell in the torturous French military, Saint Laurent suffered a nervous breakdown and was dismissed by Dior in 1962. Out of the ashes rose the Age of Yves. With Pierre Bergé, his then-lover who became his lifelong business partner and friend, the designer founded Yves Saint Laurent YSL to encompass prêt-à-porter, or ready-to-wear. In 1966, they opened the first YSL Rive Gauche women’s boutique in Paris — Rive Gauche is French for “left bank” — followed soon thereafter by YSL Rive Gauche for men. Ready-to-wear materialized during a period of dynamic transformation and experimentation and came to dominate the Paris fashion scene. Saint Laurent had given birth to a global brand.
His revolutionary Mondrian mini dress from 1965 is a core element of his fashion biography. It is a prime example of how Saint Laurent, an avid art lover and collector, looked to painters, from Goya to Picasso, Ingres to Matisse, for inspiration.
With its pure lines and hues, Mondrian’s ground-breaking 1935 color-block painting Composition C transmutes beautifully into a dress that is highly valued by collectors of contemporary fashion and widely copied commercially to this day. The design is the epitome of Saint Laurent’s aesthetic, requiring a meticulous hand piecing of each color block so that, despite the body’s curves, the visual plane is as flat as a canvas when the garment is worn. Mondrian’s purity met its match in Saint Laurent.
“I am no longer concerned with sensation and innovation, but with the perfection of my style,” Saint Laurent said four years before retiring, in 2002. After a long period of ill health, he died at his home in Paris on June 1, 2008.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Beverly Hills, CA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Yves Saint Laurent Black Cotton Dress with Colorful Heart Buttons, 1980sBy Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Beverly Hills, CAWhat a fun vintage cocktail party dress from Yves Saint Laurent. Ruffle neckline and colorful hearts button. Label marked 36 fr/ Bust: 34" / Waist: 28" /Category
1990s French Sheath Dresses
- Yves Saint Laurent Silk Print Halter Silk DressBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Stefano PilatiLocated in Beverly Hills, CAYves Saint Laurent abstract print in charcoal Grey, red, green and white halter silk dress. Size XS/2 Button in the front and drop waist style. Bust: 31 inches/ Waist: 28 inches / H...Category
Early 2000s French Cocktail Dresses
- Vintage Saint Laurent Green and Red Harlequin Print Tulle SkirtBy Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Beverly Hills, CA1980s Red, black, green and teal print harlequin tulle mini skirt. Skirt is paired with Jean Paul Gaultier burgundy mesh cropped sweater shirt with ostrich sleeves. ( sweater shirt a...Category
1980s French Bubble Skirts
- Yves Saint Laurent Blue and Black Silk Lace Spaghetti Strap BlouseBy Tom Ford for Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Beverly Hills, CASexy 2000s YSL by Tom Ford light blue silk spaghetti camisole strap blouse with black lace trim. Bust: 32' to 34 inches . Fit US 4/6 **** This Garment has been professionally Dry Cle...Category
Early 2000s French Cocktail Dresses
- 1990s Gianfranco Black Knit Illusion DressBy Gianfranco FerréLocated in Beverly Hills, CAVintage 1990s Gianfranco Ferre black knit dress with sheer sleeve. Size 6 / Medium All Sales is finalCategory
1990s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns$980 Sale Price30% Off
- 1970s CHLOE Abstract Print Multi Color Print Silk DressBy ChloéLocated in Beverly Hills, CA1970s CHLOE Abstract Print Multi Color Print Silk Vintage summer day dress . Dress is inspired by 1940s Day Dress. Vibrant abstract print color in lavender, yellow, green, red, and w...Category
1970s French Casual Dresses$1,000 Sale Price20% Off
- Giorgio Armani Strapless White and Silver Lace GownBy Giorgio ArmaniLocated in Beverly Hills, CABeautiful Giorgio Armani Strapless white and silver lace gown with iridescent beads. Lace has beautiful silver grey embroidery. Perfect for bridal gown. Fit size : Medium Bust: 40”/ ...Category
1990s Italian Wedding Dresses
- Jeanne Lanvin Light Yellow Duchesse Satin Strapless Elegant GownBy Jeanne LanvinLocated in Beverly Hills, CAElegant Jeanne Lanvin light yellow strapless silk gown. Fitted bodice. XS/0 Bust: 32" / Waist: 22" ****This garment has been professionally Dry Cleaned and Ready to wear.Category
1950s French Wedding Dresses
- Christian Dior by John Galliano floral embroidered silk evening dress, fw 1997By John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Important and rare Christian Dior mint silk hand-embroidered evening dress ▪ Designed by John Galliano for his first RTW collection at Dior ▪ Floral embroidery inspired by antiqu...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Haute Couture Cream Medieval Cathedral Train Wedding Gown - Small, 1930sLocated in Tucson, AZWithout question, one of the most exquisite bridal gowns we have ever seen. Despite its 4 ½’ cathedral train, it is lighter in weight than most gowns half its length thanks to its wh...Category
1930s Unknown Wedding Dresses
- Chanel Haute Couture ivory lace wedding dress, c. 1960sBy ChanelLocated in London, GBChanel Haute Couture ivory lace wedding dress with corseted bodice, cap sleeves, trained skirt and silk lining. c. 1960sCategory
1960s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Vintage 1972 Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Brown Floral Print Satin Maxi DressBy Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Beverly Hills, CAA gorgeous and highly coveted Yves Saint Laurent floral print maxi dress from the infamous Rive Gauche 1972 fall-winter collection. Pieces from this decade are very rare and are true...Category
1970s French Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- 1990's YVES SAINT LAURENT rive gauche navy strapless safari dressBy Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in San Fransisco, CANavy blue, strapless, cotton, safari dress designed by Yves Saint Laurent dating to the early 1990's. French size 38. Best fits a US 2 or small-busted 4. Dress can be adjusted with t...Category
1990s French Day Dresses
- 1980's YVES SAINT LAURENT black denim strapless dress with shell buttonsBy Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in San Fransisco, CAStrapless, black denim dress with oversized shell buttons and horizontal pockets at hips from Yves Saint Laurent dating to the 1980's. No size is indicated however this best fits a U...Category
Late 20th Century French Day Dresses
- 1990's YVES SAINT LAURENT rive gauche black wool dress with lace up backBy Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in San Fransisco, CAJet-black, wool dress with lace up back designed by Yves Saint Laurent dating to the early 1990's. Dress has a slight A-line shape. Ties have shiny silver metal ends and can be worn ...Category
1990s French Cocktail Dresses
- Yves Saint Laurent 1980s Black and White Abstract Flower Print Silk Crepe DressBy Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in San Diego, CAChic vintage 80s YVES SAINT LAURENT YSL Rive Gauche black and white abstract flower print long sleeve silk crepe dress ! Features a tailored bodice with hidden metal zipper up the si...Category
1980s French Cocktail Dresses
- 1990s Yves Saint Laurent Size 40 6 / 8 Brown Plunging Vintage 90s YSL DressBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in San Diego, CASexy 1990s YVES SAINT LAURENT Rive Gauche chocolate brown plunging dress and sash belt ! Features faux tortoise shell rings at each shoulder. Wrap style with hidden hook-and-eye clos...Category
1990s French Cocktail Dresses
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery