- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Yves Saint Laurent Black Cotton Dress with Colorful Heart Buttons, 1980s
- DimensionsMarked Size: 36 (EU)Bust: 34 in (86.36 cm)Waist: 28 in (71.12 cm)Hip: 34 in (86.36 cm)
- Place of Origin
- Material NotesCotton
- Seller LocationBeverly Hills, CA
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU4264235801
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Beverly Hills, CA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Designer
Yves Saint Laurent
French fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent pioneered “cross-design” in fashion, taking inspiration from street trends to modernize haute couture.
Saint Laurent was the first to launch a ready-to-wear label, YSL Rive Gauche Prêt-à-Porter. He was the first couturier to open boutiques for both men and women. Using traditional menswear fabrics and designs for women, Saint Laurent also literally cross-dressed, giving men and women alike chic pant suits, elegant tuxedo jackets and urban safari gear. By blurring gender-specific design, he empowered individual style while creating a scissor-sharp fashion aesthetic of sensual ease and beauty. Many of his designs are today considered timeless classics. Saint Laurent also consistently used Black models, like Mounia, Iman and Naomi Campbell, and he drew endless inspiration from different ethnicities and cultures, in no small part because of his Algerian roots.
Born to French parents in Oran, Algeria, in 1936, Saint Laurent went to Paris at age 17 to study fashion at the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture. Just two years later, in 1955, his remarkable sketches were shown to Christian Dior, then the world’s reigning couturier, who hired him immediately.
Surprisingly soon thereafter, Dior publicly chose Saint Laurent as his successor, which sadly proved prescient when the fashion legend died unexpectedly, in 1957. A mere slip of a youth, the 21-year-old Saint Laurent was nevertheless up to the challenge. He shook the traditional couture clientele to its core with youthful silhouettes and styles like the A-line trapeze dress that hung with seeming effortlessness from the shoulders, the antithesis of the pinched waists and molded skirts that had been all the rage after the deprivations of World War II.
After a mandated spell in the torturous French military, Saint Laurent suffered a nervous breakdown and was dismissed by Dior in 1962. Out of the ashes rose the Age of Yves. With Pierre Bergé, his then-lover who became his lifelong business partner and friend, the designer founded Yves Saint Laurent YSL to encompass prêt-à-porter, or ready-to-wear. In 1966, they opened the first YSL Rive Gauche women’s boutique in Paris, followed soon thereafter by YSL Rive Gauche for men. Saint Laurent had given birth to a global brand.
His revolutionary Mondrian mini dress from 1965 is a core element of his fashion biography. It is a prime example of how Saint Laurent, an avid art lover and collector, looked to painters, from Goya to Picasso, Ingres to Matisse, for inspiration.
With its pure lines and hues, Mondrian’s ground-breaking 1935 color-block painting Composition C transmutes beautifully into a dress that is highly valued by collectors of contemporary fashion and widely copied commercially to this day. The design is the epitome of Saint Laurent’s aesthetic, requiring a meticulous hand piecing of each color block so that, despite the body’s curves, the visual plane is as flat as a canvas when the garment is worn. Mondrian’s purity met its match in Saint Laurent.
“I am no longer concerned with sensation and innovation, but with the perfection of my style,” Saint Laurent said four years before retiring, in 2002. After a long period of ill health, he died at his home in Paris on June 1, 2008.
- Vintage Yves Saint Laurent Black Lace with Gold lace threadBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Beverly Hills, CAElegant vintage Yves saint laurent rive gauche black lace with gold lace thread with spaghetti strap Bust: 30inches/ Waist: 24 inches size 2/SmallCategory
1970s French Cocktail Dresses
- Vintage Saint Laurent Green and Red Harlequin Print Tulle SkirtBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Beverly Hills, CA1980s Red, black, green and teal print harlequin tulle mini skirt. Skirt is paired with Jean Paul Gaultier burgundy mesh cropped sweater shirt with ostrich sleeves. ( sweater shirt a...Category
1980s French Bubble Skirts
- Vintage Saint Laurent Black and Yellow Print Silk Wrap DressBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Beverly Hills, CAVintage Yves Saint Laurent black , Yellow and white flower petal silk wrap dress with puffy sleeves and V neck. marked size: 38 France Bust: 36-38/ waist: fit 26-34 inches ( wrap dr...Category
1980s French Evening Dresses
- Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Purple Silk Blouse and Maxi Skirt Ensemble, 1990sBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Beverly Hills, CAClassic 1990s Yves Saint Laurent aubergine ruffle silk blouse and maxi skirt set. Skirt has silk sash belt attached ( it can be removed). Perfect for cocktail party ensemble. blouse ...Category
1990s French Summer Dresses
- Yves Saint Laurent by Tom ford black silk velvet low cut dressBy Yves Saint Laurent, Tom FordLocated in Beverly Hills, CAsexy Yves Saint Laurent by Tom ford black silk velvet low cut dress. size: 4Category
Early 2000s French Cocktail Dresses
- Vintage Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Black and Yellow Floral Print Wrap DressBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Beverly Hills, CA1980s vintage Yves Saint Laurent white, black and yellow rose print silk wrap summer dress. Black silk piping on the sleeves and V neck collar. Hook an eye fastener. Dress is styled...Category
Late 20th Century French Day Dresses
- 1980s Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Multicolor Stripe Silk Pleated Flare DressBy Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a stunning multicolor striped Saint Laurent Rive Gauche dress, designed by Yves Saint Laurent. From the 1980s, this effortlessly chic dress is the perfect vinta...Category
1980s French Cocktail Dresses$1,496 Sale Price25% Off
- Early 1990s Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Lace-Up Black Sheer Lace Mini DressBy Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a black lace Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche mini dress. From the early 1990s, this beautiful dress is covered in lace and features a sweetheart-style neckline w...Category
1990s French Cocktail Dresses$1,121 Sale Price25% Off
- 1990s Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Black Satin Bow Sleeveless DressBy Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a stunning black satin Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche dress. From the 1990s, this little black dress features a deep v-neckline, plunging back, and a black bow ...Category
1990s French Cocktail Dresses$1,121 Sale Price25% Off
- Yves Saint Laurent "rive gauche" iconique vintage 1970s documented black dressBy Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Antwerp, BEThis is a version of the Yves Saint Laurent "rive gauche" dress that Talitha Getty wore for the Vogue Paris 1970 February issue photographed by Jeanloup Sieff. Iconique and highly co...Category
1970s French Day Dresses
- Yves Saint Laurent Knit & Tulle Mini Dress, Fall-Winter 1988By Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Geneva, CHAnthony Vaccarello has dived into Saint Laurent's archives once more ! We can find a close inspiration of this original 80's dress in the current 2019 Fall-Winter collection (see pic...Category
1980s French Mini Dresses
- Vintage 1972 Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Brown Floral Print Satin Maxi DressBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Beverly Hills, CAA gorgeous and highly coveted Yves Saint Laurent floral print maxi dress from the infamous Rive Gauche 1972 fall-winter collection. Pieces from this decade are very rare and are true...Category
1970s French Aesthetic Evening Dresses
Recently ViewedView More
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.