- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Yves Saint Laurent Vintage Russian Collection 1976 Geometric 70s Dress
- DimensionsMarked Size: Medium / Large (US)Bust: 54 in. (137.16 cm)Waist: 50 in. (127 cm)Hip: 48 in. (121.92 cm)Shoulder to Hem: 40 in. (101.6 cm)
- Place of OriginFrance
- Seller LocationSan Diego, CA
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU6622823393
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: San Diego, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
About the Manufacturer
Yves Saint Laurent
French fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent pioneered “cross-design” in fashion, taking inspiration from street trends to modernize haute couture.
Saint Laurent was the first to launch a ready-to-wear label, YSL Rive Gauche Prêt-à-Porter. He was the first couturier to open boutiques for both men and women. Using traditional menswear fabrics and designs for women, Saint Laurent also literally cross-dressed, giving men and women alike chic pant suits, elegant tuxedo jackets and urban safari gear. By blurring gender-specific design, he empowered individual style while creating a scissor-sharp fashion aesthetic of sensual ease and beauty. Many of his designs are today considered timeless classics. Saint Laurent also consistently used Black models, like Mounia, Iman and Naomi Campbell, and he drew endless inspiration from different ethnicities and cultures, in no small part because of his Algerian roots.
Born to French parents in Oran, Algeria, in 1936, Saint Laurent went to Paris at age 17 to study fashion at the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture. Just two years later, in 1955, his remarkable sketches were shown to Christian Dior, then the world’s reigning couturier, who hired him immediately.
Surprisingly soon thereafter, Dior publicly chose Saint Laurent as his successor, which sadly proved prescient when the fashion legend died unexpectedly, in 1957. A mere slip of a youth, the 21-year-old Saint Laurent was nevertheless up to the challenge. He shook the traditional couture clientele to its core with youthful silhouettes and styles like the A-line trapeze dress that hung with seeming effortlessness from the shoulders, the antithesis of the pinched waists and molded skirts that had been all the rage after the deprivations of World War II.
After a mandated spell in the torturous French military, Saint Laurent suffered a nervous breakdown and was dismissed by Dior in 1962. Out of the ashes rose the Age of Yves. With Pierre Bergé, his then-lover who became his lifelong business partner and friend, the designer founded Yves Saint Laurent YSL to encompass prêt-à-porter, or ready-to-wear. In 1966, they opened the first YSL Rive Gauche women’s boutique in Paris, followed soon thereafter by YSL Rive Gauche for men. Saint Laurent had given birth to a global brand.
His revolutionary Mondrian mini dress from 1965 is a core element of his fashion biography. It is a prime example of how Saint Laurent, an avid art lover and collector, looked to painters, from Goya to Picasso, Ingres to Matisse, for inspiration.
With its pure lines and hues, Mondrian’s ground-breaking 1935 color-block painting Composition C transmutes beautifully into a dress that is highly valued by collectors of contemporary fashion and widely copied commercially to this day. The design is the epitome of Saint Laurent’s aesthetic, requiring a meticulous hand piecing of each color block so that, despite the body’s curves, the visual plane is as flat as a canvas when the garment is worn. Mondrian’s purity met its match in Saint Laurent.
“I am no longer concerned with sensation and innovation, but with the perfection of my style,” Saint Laurent said four years before retiring, in 2002. After a long period of ill health, he died at his home in Paris on June 1, 2008.
- Yves Saint Laurent S/S 2012 Stefano Pilati Purple Silk Taffeta Mini Dress or TopBy Stefano Pilati for Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in San Diego, CASexy YVES SAINT LAURENT YSL by Stefano Pilati purple and black silk taffeta micro mini strapless dress or top ! Features a boned tailored bodice with flirty fortuny pleated trapeze s...Category
2010s Cocktail Dresses
- Yves Saint Laurent A / W 2007 Purple Silk Size 40 / US 8 YSL Rive Gauche DressBy Stefano Pilati for Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in San Diego, CAChic YVES SAINT LAURENT Autumn / Winter 2007 purple silk dress! Features intricate details above bust. Single button closure at back neck. Fully lined. Can easily be worn day to even...Category
Early 2000s Cocktail Dresses
- Yves Saint Laurent SS 2008 Kate Moss Sz 40 / 8 One Shoulder Silk Rasperry GownBy Yves Saint Laurent, Stefano PilatiLocated in San Diego, CASpectacular and rare YVES SAINT LAURENT, by STEFANO PILATI Documented Spring Summer / Printemps Ete 2008 ad campaign one shoulder raspberry pink silk evening dress! Who could forget ...Category
Early 2000s Evening Gowns
- Vintage Yves Saint Laurent Size 46 / 12 Lavender Lilac Purple Linen Dress YSLBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in San Diego, CAChic vintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Rive Gauche light lilac lavender purple linen short sleeve shirt dress! Features luxurious soft Irish linen, with pockets at each breast and at each s...Category
1980s Cocktail Dresses
- Yves Saint Laurent Haute Couture Navy Blue and White Nautical Dress, 1960sBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in San Diego, CAAmazing and rare vintage 1960s YVES SAINT LAURENT HAUTE COUTURE navy blue and white numbered nautical A-Line dress! 1960s YSL pieces are hard enough to find, yet alone an haute coutu...Category
1960s Cocktail Dresses
- Vintage 90s Yves Saint Laurent YSL Black Suede Leather Fringe Nehru Tunic DressBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in San Diego, CAFabulous vintage 1990s YVES SAINT LAURENT ( YSL ) Rive Gauche black suede nehru style fringed tunic dress! Features six large wood buttons up the front. Pockets at each side of the w...Category
1990s Cocktail Dresses
You May Also Like
Early 2000s Aesthetic Day Dresses
2010s Day Dresses
Mid-20th Century Maxi Dress
1990s Mini Dresses
1980s Mini Dresses
1990s Day Dresses
1970s Aesthetic Day Dresses
1960s Cocktail Dresses
1990s Aesthetic Evening Dresses
1980s Aesthetic Evening Dresses
Recently ViewedView More
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery