- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1970s Gucci Suede Horseshoe Buckle Vest Vintage
About the Item
- Dimensions:Length: 17.5 in (44.45 cm)Bust: 32 in (81.28 cm)Waist: 31 in (78.74 cm)
- Place of Origin:Italy
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Light marks to suede and interior lining from age. Peg holes at buckle straps worn from use and age.
- Seller Location:Philadelphia, PA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU2388213861872
Long before trend-bucking creative director Alessandro Michele brought his hallucinatory “Utopian Fantasy” campaign to Gucci, it was a modest Italian leather shop. Today, it’s an internationally renowned luxury house with an iconic logo, and vintage Gucci clothing, handbags and shoes are among high fashion's most covetable goods.
Guccio Gucci (1881–1953) admired the stylish suitcases he saw wealthy guests arrive with at the Savoy Hotel in London, where he worked as a bellhop. So, in 1921, after a stint at Franzi, a luggage company in his hometown of Florence, he opened a leather goods shop of his own.
At first, Gucci’s Florence business specialized in equestrian accessories. But as its reputation flourished, particularly among the English aristocracy, so too did its footprint. In 1938, he brought three of his sons — Aldo, Vasco and Rodolfo — into the business and expanded it to Rome and later Milan. In the mid-1930s, a League of Nations embargo against Italy pushed Gucci to experiment with alternatives to imported leather. Its woven hemp fabric from Naples, adorned with the brand’s signature diamond print, was a hit, especially among A-list celebrities. The material was first used on suitcases before finding enduring popularity on handbags. (No list of revered designer purses would be complete without Gucci.)
In the 1950s, Elizabeth Taylor carried one of Gucci’s bamboo-handled tote bags, another adaptation to material rationing. After Jackie Kennedy was seen sporting a slouchy Gucci tote in 1961, it was renamed for the First Lady. Then Grace Kelly, on a visit to the boutique in Milan, inspired Rodolfo Gucci to work with Italian illustrator and Gucci textile designer Vittorio Accornero on the Flora print in 1966. Taking cues from Sandro Botticelli’s Primavera, with its pattern of flora and insects, it was painted entirely by hand and featured no fewer than 37 colors.
In 1953, just 15 days after opening his first store on New York’s 5th Avenue, Guccio passed away at 72. The early 1970s saw store openings in Tokyo and Hong Kong, but by the late 1980s, Gucci was floundering. Rodolfo Gucci took charge in 1982, but family drama and lawsuits ensued. In 1993, Rodolfo’s son, Maurizio, transferred his shares in the company to Investcorp, ending the family’s involvement in Gucci. Dawn Mello, then-president of Bergdorf Goodman, joined as creative director in 1989. But it was Tom Ford, who took over as creative director in 1994, who ultimately revived the brand.
Ford’s racy ads, shot by photographers such as Mario Testino, stirred controversy. And his potent vision of sexed-up femininity — with “jewel-toned satin shirts unbuttoned to there,” as Vogue described his breakthrough 1995 runway show — was wildly successful. The new millennium brought new ownership — Pinault Printemps Redoute in 2004 — and a more toned-down vision from Frida Giannini, who became sole creative director in 2006. Alessandro Michele was named creative director in 2015, and the storied brand took a giant leap forward.
Find vintage Gucci clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Philadelphia, PA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- S/S 2005 Gucci Salmon Drawstring Ruffle Stretch Silk Plunging JacketBy GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a salmon-colored drawstring ruffle jacket, designed by Frida Giannini. From the Spring/Summer 2005 collection, this jacket features a plunging neckline surround...Category
Early 2000s Italian Jackets
- S/S 2003 Gucci by Tom Ford Ruched Suede Leather Jacket TopBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a beige ruched leather suede Gucci jacket, designed by Tom Ford. From the Spring/Summer 2003 collection, this soft suede jacket features a wide neckline, a fron...Category
Early 2000s Italian Jackets
- S/S 1997 Gucci by Tom Ford Naomi Runway Brown Suede Open Blouse JacketBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a fabulous brown suede Gucci open blouse/jacket, designed by Tom Ford. From the Spring/Summer 1997 collection, this beautiful blouse or jacket debuted on the se...Category
1990s Italian Jackets
- S/S 1997 Gucci by Tom Ford Leather Sleeveless Top G LogoBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a rare leather tank top by Tom Ford for Gucci. This piece and features the classic Tom Ford 'G' medallion that was heavily featured in the S/S 1997 collection a...Category
1990s Italian Tank Tops
- NWT F/W 2002 Dolce and Gabbana Multicolor Suede Butterfly VestBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a fabulous color block Dolce and Gabbana suede butterfly vest. From the Fall/Winter 2002 collection, this vest features multicolor suede panels sewn together t...Category
Early 2000s Italian Shirts
- S/S 2002 Yves Saint Laurent by Tom Ford Safari Distressed Suede Studded VestBy Tom Ford for Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a fabulous camel-colored suede Yves Saint Laurent Rive Guache vest, designed by Tom Ford. From the Spring/Summer 2002 collection, this safari-inspired piece fea...Category
Early 2000s Italian Vests
- Vintage Red Beaded Silk 2 pc Evening Dress Alternative Pants and Top OutfitLocated in Portland, ORThis amazing burgundy red silk beaded outfit is so elegant and we love outfits like these as alternatives to evening dresses! This set is made from an incredible burgundy silk fabric...Category
Late 20th Century Indian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Vintage Valentino SS01 nude cut out sheer sequin embellished plunging dress gownBy ValentinoLocated in Paris, FRA very rare Vintage Valentino floor length gown from their Spring Summer 2001 Collection (Look 81) Please note that the commercial version of this dress was made without the ruffles ...Category
Early 2000s Evening Dresses
- Vintage 1999 Christian Dior by John Galliano Suede Lace Bias-Cut Gown and JacketBy John Galliano, Christian DiorLocated in Beverly Hills, CABreathtaking Christian Dior laser-cut suede and chantilly lace bias-cut gown with matching jacket that cost well over $30,000 when new. Dior is probably the best known name in high f...Category
1990s French Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Sex and The City 2, Iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Newsprint DressBy John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in New York, NYBeing offered is the iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Autumn/Winter 2000-2001 Newsprint Dress worn by Sarah Jessica Parker and lent by Vintage Luxury N.Y. for Sex and the Cit...Category
Early 2000s French Cocktail Dresses
- Thierry Mugler Couture Vintage Sand Tulle Skirt & Gold Leather Corset Top & BeltBy Thierry Mugler Couture, Thierry MuglerLocated in Portland, ORThis is an absolutely showstopping vintage rare Thierry Mugler gold leather strapless corset style top and layered tulle skirt evening outfit. This could be worn as an alternative t...Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses
- 1980s Swish Multicolour GiletBy swishLocated in Capri, IT1980s Swish Multicolour Gilet Totally made in italy in italian size range 46 Composition: ViscoseCategory
1980s Italian Jackets
- Franck Namani Gold Suede Shirt JacketBy FRANCK NAMANILocated in Paris, FRFranck Namani gold suede shirt jacket. size 52. Made in Italy. It has an inside pocket and 3 outside pockets. The back is lined with a light fabric. In very good condition. It was ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Chemises
- Vintage Holly's Harp Red Olive Green Gold Silk Chiffon Sheer Kimono JacketBy Holly HarpLocated in San Diego, CABeautiful vintage HOLLY'S HARP red, chartreuse / olive green and gold sheer silk chiffon kimono jacket ! Features muted gold medallion prints throughout. Olive green silk satin trim....Category
Late 20th Century American Jackets
- High-Collar Zippered Fur Vest Accented with Brown LeatherLocated in New York, NYHigh collar zippered front fur vest is accented with brown leather throughout. The high collar measures 4"; with two patch pockets in front. The fur vest is fully lined with ...Category
1990s Unknown Vests$685 Sale Price22% Off
- Rare Vintage Claude Montana 90s Calf Pony Hair Leather Suede Brown + White VestBy Claude MontanaLocated in San Diego, CAIncredibly rare vintage 1990s CLAUDE MONTANA, by Ideal - Cuir, calf/pony hair leather vest! Features all-over brown and white animal print, that is strategically placed to match when...Category
1990s French Vests
- Emanuel Ungaro 1990s Tan Suede Leather Size 42 / 8 Dip Hem Vintage 90s Vest TopBy Emanuel UngaroLocated in San Diego, CAStylish late 90s EMANUEL UNGARO tan suede leather sleeveless dip hem vest jacket ! Features the softest most luxurious suede. Three square brass buttons up the front. Pockets at each...Category
1990s Italian Vests
Recently ViewedView More
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery