- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Bill Blass Couture Ostrich Feather Rainbow Bolero Jacket, 1970s
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: Medium (US)
- Style:art deco (In the Style Of)
- Place of Origin:
- Seller Location:Boca Raton, FL
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU73018019142
Venerated designer and philanthropist Bill Blass helped define style for women of means during the late 20th century and inspired generations of fashion industry professionals and enthusiasts all over the world.
Blass designed garments that saw a playful mingling of notes both subdued and bold, and his clothes were comfortable, easy to wear and sexy. The Indiana native was influenced by the likes of Coco Chanel and became famous for refined, simple looks that appealed to prominent women such as Brooke Astor and Gloria Vanderbilt.
Blass didn’t endeavor to produce showstoppers — he worked with quality materials, and his modern designs boasted meticulous tailoring. He glamourized sportswear with chic lines and dramatic colors, and by way of subtle, graceful ruffles or a tasteful application of sequins, he introduced modest flair to his day dresses and evening dresses. Vintage Bill Blass clothing is just as relevant today as it was during the height of his career.
Blass, who spent his spare time sketching red-carpet looks in his school notebooks as a kid, left home at 17 and moved to New York City, where he trained at the McDowell School of Fashion. After finishing design school, he joined the U.S. Army and fought in World War II. When the war was over, Blass returned to Manhattan. In 1946 he joined the fashion house Anna Miller and Co., where he worked as a design assistant for Anna Miller and her brother Maurice Rentner.
Anna Miller and Co. merged with Maurice Rentner, Ltd. in 1959, and Blass became the company's head designer. There he quickly built a name for himself and was soon a staple of the postwar fashion scene, impressing even the fashion editor of Harper's Bazaar at the time, Diana Vreeland. Blass expanded into designing menswear and was the first couture designer in America to create a collection for men.
In 1970, Blass gained ownership of Rentner and renamed the company after himself. Blass employed a licensing-based business strategy, and soon his name marked a full array of accessories and apparel, including Bill Blass jeans, watches, home furnishings, eyewear and luggage. Blass's renown and success expanded considerably, as fashion bearing his name became more accessible than it had ever been.
Throughout his life, Blass made considerable contributions to the AIDS care center at Cornell Medical Center and to the New York Public Library. In 1962, he became a founding member of the Council of Fashion Designs of America (CFDA) trade association, which promotes American designers around the world. The CFDA presented Blass with a Lifetime Achievement Award in 1987, and he was the first recipient of their Humanitarian Leadership Award in 1996.
Find vintage Bill Blass fashion on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Boca Raton, FL
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- Bob Mackie Art Deco Gold Black Beaded Jacket, 1980sBy Bob MackieLocated in Boca Raton, FLDesigner to the star, Bob Mackie’s designs are easily some of the most exuberant and show-stopping pieces. Having spent much time working in Hollywood for notable designers such as E...Category
1980s Unknown Jackets
- Givenchy Riccardo Tisci Black Striped Tiered Feather Jacket, 2014By GivenchyLocated in Boca Raton, FLRiccardo Tisci revamped the normally structured, streamlined version of Givenchy by introducing a panoply of color and texture to the design aesthetic. An unconventional fusion of vi...Category
2010s French Jackets
- Chanel Navy Blue Crème Wool Check Gold Button Cardigan Jacket, 1980sBy ChanelLocated in Boca Raton, FLThe 1980s were simultaneously a time of fun-loving glamour and a newfound appreciation for classic lines and tailoring. During this time, the House of Chanel relied on traditional pa...Category
1980s French Jackets
- Burberry Cropped Silver metallic Python Cape Spring 2013 RunwayBy BurberryLocated in Boca Raton, FLBurberry is credited with inventing the trench coat and, now under the direction of Christopher Bailey, reinventing it—as perfectly exemplified in this cape tailored from gorgeous metallic python. The shiny silver topper is a brilliant riff on the storm flap, the utilitarian layer added onto the original trench coat design during WWI after officers complained rain was running down their shoulders and seeping into their clothes. The functional element endured until Bailey opted to make it into a fashionable one, pulling it off the jacket so you can mix and match it with just about anything—from outerwear to an acid green shift dress, which is how he introduced it in his spring 2013 runway show. A hook closure at the spread collar makes for easy on and off, while seaming at the front and back ensures an elegant silhouette that, yes, still could keep a spring shower from drizzling onto your ensemble. Measurements Size: 34 Length in front (from shoulder to bottom): 10 inches Length in back (from top of collar to bottom): 11.5 inches Shoulders: 15 inches This Burberry Prorsum cape from the spring 2013 collection is in excellent condition. It is crafted from shiny silver python. It features a spread collar with a hook closure at its base for easy on and off. It is tailored with princess seams at the front and raglan seams at the back for a streamlined silhouette that angles out over the shoulders. Its interior is finished with a black satin lining, gunmetal chain loop for hanging and a Burberry label...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Capes$1,600 Sale Price27% Off
- Yves Saint Laurent Gold Evening Coat w/ Jeweled Buttons YSL, 1990sBy Saint Laurent, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Boca Raton, FLGlitz, glamour, and gold were the staples of Yves Saint Laurent in the 1990s. While YSL is known for exotic and eye-catching designs, the 90s incorporated a new layer of luxury to th...Category
1990s French Coats and Outerwear
- 1930s Black Vibrant Shibori Flower Silk Kimono JacketLocated in Boca Raton, FLAs fashion in Japan began to skyrocket, the strong presence of the traditional kimono still remains. The straight cuts of silk are carefully sewn together, crafting a robe that can f...Category
1930s Japanese Jackets
- WOMENS DESIGNER Tommy Hillfiger - Tommy Jeans Puffer Jacket - Red - XSBy Tommy HilfigerLocated in London, GBThis Tommy Hillfiger Puffer jacket in red with a detachable hood is for sale in a size XS. Purchased, stored and never used. BRAND Tommy Hillfiger ACCESSORIES Jacket only COLOUR Red CONDITION As New FEATURES Detachable hood trimmed with faux fur, full frontal zip, puffer jacket, Tommy Jeans...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Jackets
- Rare Mariano Fortuny Berry Silk Crepe CoatBy FortunyLocated in Riverdale, NYThis wonderful square cut berry silk crepe Fortuny coat is gilt stencilled in a Bellini pattern. Fortuny's ethereal crepe and gauze garments are extremely...Category
Early 20th Century Italian Art Deco JacketsPrice Upon Request
- Moschino Cheap & Chic Wool Pink Pig VestBy Moschino, Moschino Cheap and ChicLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino cheap & chic wool pink pig vest The men's vest by Moschino Cheap and Chic is retro cool with a huge sense of humor! Great for special occasion dress...Category
Early 2000s Italian Vests
- Moschino Cheap Chic Black Wool Velvet Trim BlazerBy Moschino, Moschino Cheap and ChicLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino cheap chic black wool blazer The perfect holiday jacket is here in a nice wool with red lining and black velvet trim and buttons. Pair with skinny pants and boots for a gre...Category
1990s Italian Blazers
- Moschino Couture Black Wool Tuxedo Jacket HeartsBy Moschino Couture, MoschinoLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino couture black wool tuxedo jacket hearts Unique vintage tuxedo jacket from Moschino Couture line! Perfect for the evening and holiday events th...Category
1990s Italian Tuxedo Jackets
- Moschino Cheap Chic Black White Wool Heart JacketBy Moschino, Moschino Cheap and ChicLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino cheap chic black white wool heart jacket This vintage jacket is iconic Moschino ! Cute Cheap and Chic on the collar and covered buttons. Cute red heart patch! Pair with ...Category
1980s Italian Jackets
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery