Christian Lacroix Prêt-a-porter early 90's pink wool cropped bolero jacket
About the Item
- Dimensions:Length: 16.74 in (42.5 cm)Marked Size: 40 (EU)Bust: 35.44 in (90 cm)
- Style:Early 90's (Of the Period)
- Place of Origin:
- Seller Location:Milano, IT
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU3527219178662
The iconic French fashion designer, whose body of work includes handbags and purses, evening dresses, jackets and lots more, has always favored theater over fashion. He has long integrated corsets and bustles into his work, drawing on diverse cultures and citing epic historical dramas as inspirations. Today he is creating opera costumes, so it shouldn’t come as a surprise that his colorful and voluminous garments captured the excesses and defined the extravagant frivolity of the 1980s as well as the sensuality and boldness of the 1990s.
Lacroix studied art history at the University of Montpellier and museum studies at École du Louvre and the Sorbonne in Paris. He aspired to become a museum curator or costume designer but instead entered the world of fashion, specifically haute couture, with the support of his now-wife Françoise Rosenthiel, who helped get his sketches to Hermès. Lacroix was offered an assistant job at the legendary luxury brand and later worked as a designer at the House of Patou in 1981.
Lacroix’s career flourished and his profile soared from then on, as he established his own label in 1987, using layers of fabric and consistently clashing prints in his designs for opulent pouf skirts, vibrant floral maxi day dresses as well as jewelry and watches that commanded attention. He created a ready-to-wear line for Italian manufacturer Genny and dressed dancers at the American Ballet Theatre company.
Lacroix became the artistic director of Italian fashion house Emilio Pucci in 2002, and, over time, he continued to secure work in the fields of theater, opera and other performance art, designing costumes for a range of stage productions. Alongside designs by Stella McCartney, Karl Lagerfeld and others, Madonna wore a corset during her 2004 “Re-Invention World Tour” that was created for her by Lacroix.
Today, the maison founded by the designer in 1987 is owned by the Falic Fashion Group, but Lacroix continues to design womenswear for brands such as Desigual as well as for the stage. His larger-than-life aesthetic has also been translated into a range of accessories and fragrances as well as various interior furnishings such as tableware and household linens. Lacroix has completed interior design projects at a number of hotels and has partnered with the likes of Christofle and other firms over the years. In whatever form it takes, the sumptuousness and glamour of a Lacroix design is unmistakable.
Find a range of vintage Christian Lacroix clothing, jewelry and accessories on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Milano, Italy
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Lilli Ann late 40's black tapestry floral pattern hand embroidered beaded jacketBy Lilli AnnLocated in Milano, ITLilli Ann of San Francisco late 1940's black tapestry floral pattern hand embroidered beaded collared jacket with zippers details (S) Rare and collectible American vintage from late ...Category
1940s American Cropped Jackets
- Hanae Mori 1980's silk and velvet floral pattern ruffle neck fit flare dressBy Hanae MoriLocated in Milano, ITHanae Mori Boutique 1980's blue silk and flocked velvet white floral pattern ruffle boat neck fit and flare knee length dress made in Japan (S) Back zip closure Fully lined aside fr...Category
1980s Japanese Cocktail Dresses
- Saint Laurent Rive Gauche f/w 1982 blue and red striped taffeta pleated skirtBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Milano, ITSaint Laurent Rive Gauche fall/winter 1982 documented blue and red striped taffeta high waisted pleated midi full skirt with side pockets (S) Rare and collectible item from Saint Lau...Category
1980s French Pleated Skirts
- D&G f/w 2003 black patterned cotton and acetate bondage strap corseted skirtBy D&G by DOLCE & GABBANALocated in Milano, ITD&G by Dolce Gabbana fall/winter 2003 black patterned cotton and acetate bondage strap corseted skirt with lace trim and back slit (S/M) From fall/winter 2003, similar models on runw...Category
Early 2000s Italian Pencil Skirts
- Saint Laurent Rive Gauche early 1980's botanical pattern A line maxi gipsy skirtBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Milano, ITSaint Laurent Rive Gauche early 1980's linen and cotton green and multicolor botanical pattern A line maxi gipsy skirt boho style (M) Possibly a variation from spring/summer 1983 Unl...Category
1980s French A-Line Skirts
- Saint Laurent Rive Gauche s/s 1983 red silk floral A line dress with tie frontBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Milano, ITSaint Laurent Rive Gauche spring/summer 1983 red silk floral A line dress with sweetheart neckline, tie front and short puff sleeves (S) Rare and collectible version from Saint Laure...Category
1980s French Cocktail Dresses
- Jean Louis Scherrer Vintage Silk Tweed & Leather JacketBy Jean-Louis ScherrerLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireAn excellent vintage Jean Louis Scherrer jacket, made from a silk and wool tweed and brown leather. Perfect for spring, this blazer style jacket zips up the front. Size: Marked EU 4...Category
1990s French Jackets
- Texere Lebole Vintage 70s Mens Wide Collar Lapels Blazer Jacket, Early 1970sLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireAn incredible vintage mens blazer jacket / sport coat from the early 70s by Italian textile company, Texere for Lebole. In a synthetic fabric with a...Category
- Fendissime by Fendi Vintage Light Blue Ruffled Denim Vest Sleeveless JacketBy Fendissime, FendiLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireAn amazing vintage womens sleeveless denim jacket from the 90s by luxury Italian fashion house, Fendi for their Fendissime line. In a light blue denim with beautiful seams that gives...Category
- Vintage y2k Fuchsia Pink Suede Laser Cut Out Womens Biker Jacket, 2000sLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireAn incredible and rare vintage womens jacket from the late 90s / early 2000s in a fuchsia suede with incredible circular laser cut outs throughout...Category
Early 2000s Coats
- Helen Anderson Vintage 80s Black Crepe Shoulder Pads Tassel Blazer Jacket, 1980sLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireA classy vintage womens jacket from the 80s by luxury British fashion designer, Helen Anderson. In a black wool blend crepe with shoulder pads, a beaded...Category
1980s English Jackets
- Loro Piana Pink Wool The Gift Of Kings Braidon Jacket MBy Loro PianaLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2Infuse an extra dose of style into your outfit with this highly fashionable jacket. Tailored from quality materials, it embodies a contemporary vibe and is filled with functional cha...Category
2010s Italian Jackets
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery