- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
F/W 1998 Chanel Vintage Black Wool Blazer Jacket w CC Button & Silk CC Lining
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: Fr 40 (EU)
- Place of Origin:Europe
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Overall excellent- there are a few of tiny professional repairs to very small pulls that are barely noticeable.
- Seller Location:Portland, OR
- Reference Number:Seller: 76011stDibs: LU223218255312
Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel
More than a mere tastemaker, Karl Lagerfeld devoted himself to the continual pursuit of chic. “My life and my job,” the designer once said, “is to forget myself.” From his first collection at Chanel — after joining the brand in the early 1980s — he injected the venerable house with a frisson of modernity. Vintage Karl Lagerfeld designs for Chanel handbags, evening dresses, coats, jewelry and other clothing and accessories riffed on its iconography — tweed skirt suits, pearls, camellias — accenting a lexicon of Chanel-isms with tastes of the moment.
During his five-decade career as a designer for Chanel, Fendi, Chloé and many others, Lagerfeld was a quintessential chameleon, ever evolving to embody the times. An outsize, instantly recognizable personality — his ponytail powdered like an 18th-century viscount, his eyes perpetually shielded by dark glasses, wearing fistfuls of chunky silver jewels — Lagerfeld was, above all, an avatar of style.
Born in Hamburg (in 1933, ’35, or ’38 by varying accounts), Karl Lagerfeld packed his bags for Paris in 1954. His design for a coat won him the International Wool Secretariat and landed him a job with the celebrated couturier Pierre Balmain. He went on to become the designer of Jean Patou, eventually realizing that his seemingly endless ideas could fuel a career as a designer-for-hire. As such, Lagerfeld lent his vision to everyone from Loewe and Max Mara to Krizia and Charles Jourdan, nimbly moving among a diverse range of styles. It was an unprecedented way of working in the days when freelance was still a dirty word. During the late ’60s and ’70s, he refashioned Chloé to reflect the free spirit of the day and, beginning in 1965, joined forces with the Fendi family, taking it from sleepy furrier to fashion’s haute-est stratum.
Because of his track record for reviving and reimagining brands that had grown stagnant, in 1984 Lagerfeld was handed the reins at Chanel, which had been gathering dust since its founder’s heyday. Lagerfeld’s collections for the brand displayed his knack for synthesizing old and new, high and low. From Watteau (Spring/Summer 1985 couture) and Serge Roche (Spring/Summer 1990 ready-to-wear) to hip-hop fly girls (Fall/Winter 1991 ready-to-wear), surfers (Spring/Summer 2003 ready-to-wear) and ancient Egypt (Pre-Fall 2019), Lagerfeld used each season’s inspiration to conceive Chanel’s signatures anew. And despite producing eight collections a year for Chanel, as well as four to five for Fendi, Lagerfeld never faltered in proposing new ideas each time he put pencil to paper.
Find vintage Karl Lagerfeld Chanel day dresses, jackets, shoes and more on 1stDibs.
In the years following the opening of her modest millinery shop, Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel became a pivotal designer of both fashionable casual wear and Paris haute couture as well as an icon and arbiter of 20th-century style with her bob haircut and pearls. Today vintage Chanel handbags, jackets and evening dresses are among the most sought-after clothing and accessories for fashion lovers all over the world.
The first Chanel shop was established in 1910 in Paris on rue Cambon by the young milliner Gabrielle Chanel (1883–1971), who had picked up the nickname “Coco” while working as a club singer. The boutique drew the attention of the Parisian fashion elite who popularized her wide-brimmed Chanel Modes hats. Soon she added a sportswear store in the Normandy resort town of Deauville, where Coco set the tone for her defining sense of style — traditionally masculine garments reimagined for feminine shapes, made from simple jersey fabric.
Effortless and elegant, Chanel's designs promoted comfort and grace in women’s wear that had been dominated in the previous century by complicated layers of fabric and cumbersome corsets. She followed this success with a couture house, opened in 1915 in Biarritz.
But Chanel was not born into a life of glamour. Following the death of her mother, her father left her in an orphanage where she lived until the age of 18. It was there that she learned to sew as well as appreciate the classic pairing of black and white as worn by the nuns. In 1926, she introduced her first little black dress, reclaiming a color that had once been reserved for mourning and working-class women. That same decade, she debuted her perfume, Chanel No. 5, as well as the Chanel suit with a fitted skirt, inspired by the boxy lines of men’s clothing and employing a sporty tweed.
Chanel closed her fashion operations during World War II, then returned to the industry in 1954 to design for the functional needs of modern women. Structure and wearability endured in all of Chanel’s clothing and accessories, like the quilted leather 2.55 handbag introduced in 1955 with its gold-chain shoulder strap that freed up a woman’s hands. Chanel's collarless jacket reacted against the constricting styles of Christian Dior's New Look, replacing them with a design that was timeless, an instant classic. The 1957 two-tone slingback pumps had a practical heel height while offering a bold statement in the black tip of the shoes.
After Coco Chanel died in 1971, the brand underwent several changes in leadership, including fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld, who took over as artistic director in 1983. Over the years, the company has continued to innovate, such as expanding into ready-to-wear fashion in 1978 and, in 2002, establishing a subsidiary company — Paraffection — dedicated to preserving the heritage skills of fashion artisan workshops. The House of Chanel still operates its flagship on rue Cambon in Paris, where it all began.
Browse vintage Chanel bags, evening dresses, shoes, jewelry and other clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Beaverton, OR
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Chanel Jacket and Skirt Suit in Black Wool With Silk Lining Cruise Resort 1996By Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel, ChanelLocated in Portland, ORThis is a wonderful vintage black wool Chanel suit designed by Karl Lagerfeld for the 1996 Cruise / Resort collection. The outfit includes a skirt and a double breasted jacket with a...Category
1990s French Skirt Suits
- Chanel 2001 Magenta Purple Metallic Cropped Jacket w Asymmetrical ZipperBy Chanel, Karl Lagerfeld for ChanelLocated in Portland, ORThis incredible S/S 2001 vintage Chanel jacket is made from a woven magenta purple cotton blend fabric with a metallic sheen. The jacket and sleeves are slightly cropped and there is...Category
Early 2000s French Cropped Jackets$840 Sale Price30% Off
- Chanel Cashmere Blend Textured Beaded Green Pullover 2010 Runway SweaterBy Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel, ChanelLocated in Portland, ORThis is a Pre-Fall 2010 Chanel pullover sweater top in a gorgeous green stretch cashmere blend. The sweater has a round neck and is accented with brick red beads. The collar, cuffs, ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Pullovers
- Chanel Fall 2015 Black Wool Boucle and Silk Short Sleeve Dress W Gripoix ButtonsBy Chanel, Karl Lagerfeld for ChanelLocated in Portland, ORThis is a lovely Chanel Fall 2015 dress in black bouclé wool and silk. The body of the dress is in bouclé wool and black silk satin is found at the hem a...Category
2010s French Evening Dresses$1,760 Sale Price20% Off
- Vintage Dolce & Gabbana Black Tweed 3 Pc Jacket Vest & Trousers PantsuitBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Portland, ORThis is an early 2000's Dolce & Gabbana 3 piece white and charcoal tweed textured Nylon/Silk/Wool/Alpaca blend suit consisting of trousers, a vest, and a jacket. We love suits becaus...Category
Early 2000s European Trouser Pant Suits
- Escada Blazer in Red Black and Pink Novelty Shoe Lover Print 1980s JacketBy Escada Margaretha Ley, EscadaLocated in Portland, ORThis 1980's vintage Escada jacket is in red satin with pink satin trim and has long black velvet sleeves. The blazer has fabulous gold buttons with pink "dots" and front pockets tha...Category
1980s German Jackets
- Alexander McQueen black silk corseted bias cut evening dress, ss 2004By Alexander McQueenLocated in London, GBAlexander McQueen black silk bias cut evening dress with built-in corseted bodysuit, low plunge neckline and open back. Spring-Summer 2004Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Azzedine Alaia Vintage Bodycon Knit Black Dress with Openwork Details F/W 1991By Azzedine AlaïaLocated in Nice, FRAZZEDINE ALAIA vintage black knit stretch dress featuring gorgeous openwork trim details, V-shaped neckline, long sleeves and zipper closure at center back. From the 1991 Fall/Winte...Category
20th Century French Day Dresses
- Chanel by Karl Lagerfeld pastel tweed mini dress jacket, ss 1996By Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel, ChanelLocated in London, GB▪ Chanel pastel tweed mini dress jacket ▪ Designed by Karl Lagerfeld ▪ Silver buttons with coin style engravings ▪ Nipped waist ▪ Silk lining ▪ Wool and nylon blend tweed ▪ Yell...Category
1990s French Jackets
- Christian Dior by John Galliano floral embroidered silk evening dress, fw 1997By John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Important and rare Christian Dior mint silk hand-embroidered evening dress ▪ Designed by John Galliano for his first RTW collection at Dior ▪ Floral embroidery inspired by antique Chinese shawls...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Sex and The City 2, Iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Newsprint DressBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in New York, NYBeing offered is the iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Autumn/Winter 2000-2001 Newsprint Dress worn by Sarah Jessica Parker and lent by Vintage Luxury N.Y. for Sex and the City 2, the movie. The iconic Dior newsprint dress...Category
Early 2000s French Cocktail Dresses
- John Galliano black silk chiffon double layered bias cut dress, c. 1995 - 1999By John GallianoLocated in London, GB▪ John Galliano black silk chiffon bias cut evening dress ▪ Ruffled detail on bodice ▪ Caplet collar ▪ Overdress can be styled both ways ▪ Slip dress with low open back, spaghett...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- 1940S Oyster Grey Acetate Satin Draped Evening Gown With Back Bustle DetailLocated in New York, NY1940S Oyster Grey Acetate Satin Draped Evening Gown With Back Bustle DetailCategory
1940s Unknown Evening Gowns
- Sensational Iconic Corset Mister Pearl for Thierry Mugler Semi Sheer BodiceBy Thierry MuglerLocated in Berlin, BEHoly Grail. Iconic Muesum Worthy Collectors Piece Extremely rare spectacular Corset created by the One And Only Mister Pearl for Thierry Mugler. Kyli...Category
Early 2000s French Corsets
- Azzedine Alaia bronze acetate knit bandage skirt and bodysuit set, ss 1986By Azzedine AlaïaLocated in London, GB▪ Important Azzedine Alaia acetate-knit skirt and bodysuit set ▪ Fitted bodysuit with criss-cross straps ▪ Bandage knee-length skirt ▪ Open side with...Category
1980s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Belle Époque Diamond TiaraLocated in London, GBA Belle Époque diamond tiara, to the centre three diamond-set clusters with diamond-set foliate decorations and one large diamond-set clu...Category
Early 20th Century French Belle Époque More JewelryMaterials
- Chanel 1991 Pink Wool and Denim Skirt SetBy Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel, ChanelLocated in Scottsdale, AZTweed and denim is a pair you didn't know you needed! From Chanel's 2001 fall/winter collection this is a skirt and blazer set from the iconic Chanel featuring a mid-length, beautifu...Category
1990s French Blazers
- Vintage Chanel Pink and Metallic Blazer, Cruise 2001 CollectionBy Chanel, Karl Lagerfeld for ChanelLocated in New York, NYChanel blazer from the Cruise 2001 collection by Karl Lagerfeld Metallic & Pink color, tweed Pattern, pointed collar, slit Pockets & button closure F...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Blazers
- Vintage Chanel Wool Blazer, Cruise 2000sBy Chanel, Karl Lagerfeld for ChanelLocated in New York, NYChanel wool blazer from the Cruise 2000 Collection by Karl Lagerfeld. Blue color, Pointed Collar, Slit Pockets & Button Closure Fabric: 100% Wo...Category
Early 2000s French Blazers
- Chanel Vintage Blue Notch-Lapel Button-Up Blazer, 1990sBy Chanel, Karl Lagerfeld for ChanelLocated in New York, NYDark blue Chanel blazer with striped pattern throughout, notched lapels, dual flap pockets at front, silver-tone chain at interior hem and interlocking CC button closures at center f...Category
1990s French Blazers
- Chanel Vintage Boutique Short Sleeve Evening Blazer, 1990sBy Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel, ChanelLocated in New York, NYVintage Chanel Boutique short sleeve evening blazer with gold metal buttons with embossed elephants. Period: 1990s Fabric: Not listed, feels like linen and silk blend. Size – S/ 36 ...Category
1990s European Blazers
- Chanel Black Vintage Jacket, Cruise 2002 CollectionBy Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel, ChanelLocated in New York, NYVintage Chanel black wool evening jacket from the Cruise 2002 Collection by Karl Lagerfeld. Collarless. Button closure. Size: L Bust: 91cm Length: 57cm Sleeve: 67cm Composition: 85...Category
Early 2000s French Jackets
Recently ViewedView More
How the Chanel Jacket Forever Changed What Women Wear
The classic tweed garment has been a wardrobe staple of chic women around the world since the 1950s.
Remembering Fashion Designer, Collector and Supreme Tastemaker Karl Lagerfeld
The creative force behind brands like Chanel, Fendi and Chloé was as exacting in his interiors as he was in his clothing designs.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery