Fendissime by Fendi Vintage Light Blue Ruffled Denim Vest Sleeveless Jacket
About the Item
Like other major European luxury fashion houses, Fendi started small. Adele Casagrande was an Italian creative who loved fashion and sold leather and fur accessories from a tiny workshop she opened in Rome in 1918. However, after marrying Edoardo Fendi in 1925, her business model was altered dramatically. Together, the couple changed the boutique’s name to Fendi and moved into a bigger storefront, which quickly became the favorite shop of women all over Italy’s capital city for furs and leathers, such as handbags, coats and accessories.
As time moved on for Adele and Edoardo, the couple began to share more responsibility to their five daughters, who assumed management of the company during the 1950s. Fendi’s audience broadened and its profitability has soared over the years, owing to the brand’s fresh perspective on fashion world happenings and innovative sensibility. The maison also has a distinctive relationship with old-world Italian craftsmanship. The Selleria bags were the work of master saddlers in Rome, and Fendi partnered with lace artisans in southern Italy as well as craftsmen in the east trained in the intrecciato (intertwined) technique (an idea that Adele introduced during the 1940s), which, in Fendi’s case, sees an interwoven leather fabric integrated in the creation of its handbags, countering leather’s traditional rigidity with a bag that is soft, versatile and fitted with an alluring slouchy curve.
It wasn’t until 1965, however, when a young German designer named Karl Lagerfeld took the creative helm that Fendi became a world-renowned fashion house. In fact, Lagerfeld, who produced four to five collections yearly for the brand, is credited with creating Fendi’s instantly recognizable double-F logo (which stands for “Fun Furs”) in “less than five seconds.” Until Lagerfeld started designing for the brand, fur was a material mostly associated with heavy coats that few people actually wore. Lagerfeld reimagined fur in creative ways, using it as an accent on purses, cuffs on dress sleeves and collars on wool coats.
Over the ensuing years, Fendi has broken into the home-goods market with Fendi Casa and has become synonymous with luxury fashion, producing such pieces as the iconic Baguette, which was rendered ever popular on the television series Sex and the City. In fact, an entire episode during the third season was dedicated to the “original It bag,” a slim accessory tapered in a manner that recalls its namesake, designed in 1997 by Adele and Edoardo’s granddaughter Silvia Venturini Fendi, who was named creative director of accessories three years earlier.
Perhaps just as well known as its vintage Baguette handbags and creative use of fur is the brand’s devotion to its Italian roots. In 2013, Fendi donated more than 2 million euros to restore Rome’s Trevi Fountain, and when it was reopened to visitors, Fendi hosted its Autumn/Winter 2017 show on top of the landmark.
Fendi was a family-controlled brand until 1999 and is now owned by LVMH. In late 2020, British fashion designer Kim Jones was named the house’s artistic director for womens wear.
Find a wide variety of vintage Fendi handbags and purses, clothing and other accessories on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Doncaster, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
- Jean Louis Scherrer Vintage Silk Tweed & Leather JacketBy Jean-Louis ScherrerLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireAn excellent vintage Jean Louis Scherrer jacket, made from a silk and wool tweed and brown leather. Perfect for spring, this blazer style jacket zips up the front. Size: Marked EU 4...Category
1990s French Jackets
- Texere Lebole Vintage 70s Mens Wide Collar Lapels Blazer Jacket, Early 1970sLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireAn incredible vintage mens blazer jacket / sport coat from the early 70s by Italian textile company, Texere for Lebole. In a synthetic fabric with a...Category
- John Rocha Mainline Vintage Mens Crochet Cut Out Grey Linen Shoulder Pads CoatLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireAn incredible vintage mens coat from the early 2000s by luxury Hong Kong born fashion designer, John Rocha for his mainline (not to be confused with the inf...Category
Early 2000s Jackets
- Mens Vintage Half Norfolk Herringbone Wool Tweed Jacket Coat, 1970sLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireAn excellent and rare vintage Dhobi mens half norfolk style jacket from the 70s. In a wool herringbone tweed fabric with an exaggerated collar, two large patch pockets on the front a...Category
1970s English Jackets
- Dolce & Gabbana D&G Vintage Mens Blue Denim Jean Jacket, 1990sBy D&G by DOLCE & GABBANA, Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireAn amazing vintage mens denim jacket from the late 90s / early 2000s by Dolce & Gabbana D&G. In a blue stone wash denim with a faded look throughout....Category
- Vintage 60s 70s Boho Tapestry Full Length Maxi Coat Jacket, 1960s 1970sLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireAn incredible and rare vintage womens maxi coat from the late 60s / early 70s. In a beautiful tapestry fabric with a rounded collar and a long, column like cut - making the most of t...Category
- Alexander McQueen embroidered tailored 'Sarabande' jacket, c. 2007By Alexander McQueenLocated in London, GBAn Alexander McQueen tailored embroidered jacket from the 'SARABANDE' collection, Spring/Summer 2007. The jacket has scalloped edges with pleated trimmings throughout and black floral embroidery. French 40 - UK 12 - Italian 44 - Medium About the collection... "The inspiration is Handel’s Sarabande of the title – a majestic and elegant dance – the portraits of Goya, the turn of the century exotic and socialite Marchesa Luisa Casati and garden flowers. As always, there is a melancholic undertone: faded flowers are trapped in chiffon and lace, ruffled skirts constructed out of tiers of delicate petals and prints are botanical – brightly coloured birds and blooms, scattering swallows and winding stems of leaves. Show pieces include a dress made entirely out of frozen flowers. Tailoring is this time more fluid than it has been and clothing indebted to horsemanship is worn with finely worked, oversized pirate shirts...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Jackets
- Dolce & Gabbana mauve leather buckled bondage jacket, ss 2003By Dolce & GabbanaLocated in London, GB▪ Dolce & Gabbana mauve leather bondage jacket ▪ 100% Lambskin Leather ▪ Metal zip fastenings on sleeves, collar, back and front ▪ Seventeen metal buckl...Category
Early 2000s Italian Jackets
- Louis Vuitton Mens 52 Monogram Patchwork Denim Hoodie Zip Jacket 3L02By Louis VuittonLocated in Dix hills, NYDate Code/Serial Number: CA36929 Made In: Italy Measurements: Length: 25" Width: .5" Height: 27.5" Size: 52 OVERALL NEW CONDITION ( 10/10 or N ) Men's 52 Accessories: Bag, Box,...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Jackets
- Joseph Gemina Checked and Wool BlazerBy JosephLocated in London, GBJoseph's classic blazer is patterned with heritage-inspired checks, has oversized pockets and is tailored in cozy wool. This jacket features a partially concealed, adjustable belt th...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Jackets
- BAND OF OUTSIDERS Size 36 Grey Stripe Wool Notch Lapel Sport CoatBy Band Of OutsidersLocated in San Francisco, CABAND OF OUTSIDERS sport coat comes in a grey stripe wool with a full liner featuring a notch lapel, black ribbon trim, flap pockets, and double button closure. Made in USA. Very Goo...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Sport Jackets
- Vintage ICA Paper JacketLocated in London, GBA great vintage jacket from the Institute of Contemporary Arts ( ICA) in London. The jacket has a zip front opening with ribbing on the collar , cuffs and hem. It has a sliver backg...Category
1980s British Jackets
Recently ViewedView All
The Fendi Baguette Is an ‘It’ Bag Again, 25 Years After Its Introduction
Iconic Italian fashion houses Fendi and Versace teamed up on this delightfully outrageous Fendace reimagining.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery