Issey Miyake Pleats Please Black Funnel Neck Hidden Zipper Front Long Jacket 3
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: 3 (JP)
- Place of Origin:
- Material Notes:permanently pleated polyester blend fabric heavy duty zipper working buttons flap pockets
- Seller Location:West Palm Beach, FL
- Reference Number:Seller: irk1081stDibs: LU28420282172
From the prismatic Pleats Please collection to the modular, three-dimensional garments crafted from recycled plastic bottles in his Reality Lab, the captivating fashions by Japanese designer Issey Miyake are all about movement.
Born in Hiroshima, Miyake studied graphic design at Tama Art University in Tokyo before relocating to Paris in 1965, where he studied couture and cut his teeth working for Guy Laroche and Hubert de Givenchy. In 1969, he moved to New York, where he worked for Geoffrey Beene. He returned to Tokyo in 1970 to found his first solo venture, the Miyake Design Studio. It wasn’t until the 1990s, though, that the designer had his breakthrough moment with experimentations in pleating. Some of his earliest explorations were for choreographer William Forsythe’s Frankfurt Ballet Company, with the 1991 performance of The Loss of Small Detail featuring costumes Miyake designed with pleats that complemented and transformed the movement of the dancers.
Though long a staple in couture — from delicate women’s skirts to men’s suit pants — pleats took on new life in Miyake’s hands. By using a heat press to cure his fabrics after his garments are stitched, Miyake was able to maintain the accordion structure of the pleat, turning a series of folds into sculptural, often futuristic forms unbound by the shape of the human body. In 1993, Miyake debuted “garment pleating” in his Pleats Please line, in which the clothes are constructed at a size that is larger than what is intended for the finished product. The pleats are then created — a process that involves folding and ironing and is separate from the joining of seams — and individual pieces are subsequently hand-fed into a heat press. The pleats are permanent and the garments can be worn and washed without losing their shape.
Miyake’s pleats run the gamut in scale, which enabled him to evoke dramatic, sharp silhouettes and flowy movements in equal measure. In essence, he created an entirely new material whose iterations are infinite — a feat of technology as much as fashion.
Other innovations include Miyake’s 1997 Just Before collection, which introduced a series of tube-knit dresses that could be cut as desired, reducing both work and resources. His Reality Lab now investigates new materials, such as a fully recycled polyester. Miyake’s prowess, in fact, captured another iconic figure in the tech world: Steve Jobs, for whom the designer made hundreds of identical black turtlenecks, the late Apple founder’s sartorial signature.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: West Palm Beach, FL
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Ungaro Red Printed Silk Jacquard V Neck Button Front Jacket 1980sBy Emanuel UngaroLocated in West Palm Beach, FLUngaro red printed silk jacquard V neck button front jacket from the 1980s. Bright abstract flower print in yellow, black, white blue & pink on red, scattered with jacquard circles. ...Category
1980s Hong Kong Cropped Jackets
- Dennis Basso Striped Dyed Mink & Silk Twill TopBy Dennis BassoLocated in West Palm Beach, FLDennis Basso striped dyed mink & silk twill top. The front of this gorgeous top is made of mink fur dyed in shades of purple, pink-taupe and grey brown set in a horizontal pattern, t...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Blouses and Tops
- Chanel Beige Double Pocket Hook Front Unlined Jacket 02ABy ChanelLocated in West Palm Beach, FLChanel Beige Double Pocket Hook Front Unlined Jacket 02A. Great jacket to to pair with jeans or anything casual. This jacket closes at the front wi...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Jackets
- Valentino Glitter Silver Dot Metallic Gathered Waist JacketBy ValentinoLocated in West Palm Beach, FLValentino glitter silver dot metallic gathered waist jacket. This beautiful jacket is silver grey or silver taupe, depending on the light, slub woven fa...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Cropped Jackets
- Donna Karan Black Label Fire Engine Red Double Face Wool JacketBy Donna KaranLocated in West Palm Beach, FLDonna Karan black label fire engine red princess seam, double face wool jacket from the 1990s. Plunge V neck jacket closes at the lower waist with hidden hook & self loop. Below hip ...Category
1990s American Single-Breasted Jackets
- Oscar de la Renta Black Linen Button Front Full Sleeve Hip Pocket Jacket 1980sBy Oscar de la Renta ActiveLocated in West Palm Beach, FLOscar de la Renta heavy black linen button front, full sleeve jacket with patch pockets from the 1980s. Jewel neck jacket has a deep curved yoke neckline front & back, long full ragl...Category
1980s American Single-Breasted Jackets
- Gucci S/S 2008 black leather short sleeve gold zip cropped leather dress jacketBy GucciLocated in Paris, FRGucci Spring Summer 2008 cropped leather jacket with short sleeves in black Gold hardware with Gucci engraved popper buttons and buckles Oversized braided buttons Closes via a zip a...Category
Early 2000s Italian Jackets
- Vintage THIERRY MUGLER Structured Belted Chain Burnt Orange Wool JacketBy Thierry MuglerLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage THIERRY MUGLER Structured Belted Chain Burnt Orange Wool Jacket Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips : Shoulders: 17.32 inches (44 cm) Sleeves: 2...Category
20th Century French Jackets
- Hiroko Koshino Japan Black Design Jacket 1980Located in Amsterdam, NLVintage jacket from Japanese designer "Hiroko Koshino" with long front (88cm/34.64 inch) and attached inside vest, inside button with a short back (65c...Category
20th Century Unknown Blazers
- 1980's Escada Couture Gold Sequins JacketBy EscadaLocated in Amsterdam, NLRare Escada Couture gold/silver /black/bronze fully sequins ladies evening/party jacket. We offer more exclusive items, view our frontstore. Details: ...Category
20th Century German Dinner Jackets
- Pierre Balmain Paris red rose light wool jacketBy Pierre BalmainLocated in Amsterdam, NLThis Balmain jacket is made from wool has 3 closing buttons and 2 pockets. Size is mentioned French 44 but fits as US 10 or EU 40 See section measurements. Please note that vintage ...Category
20th Century French Vests