- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Jacket with Integrated Shirt Jean-Paul Gaultier Homme Circa 1995
- DimensionsMarked Size: Equivalent 52 French size (EU)
- Style1995 (Of the Period)
- Place of Origin
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Very Good Condition and Color.
- Seller LocationToulon, FR
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU633313579542
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Toulon, France
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
About the Designer
Jean Paul Gaultier
Endeavoring to tear down gender stereotypes and sartorial norms on the catwalk, making underwear outerwear, putting men in skirts and models of all shapes and sizes on the runway, the wildly provocative French fashion designer Jean Paul Gaultier has created transformational clothing designs that draw on numerous influences and boldly merge haute couture with street sensibility.
An only child raised in the suburbs of Paris, Gaultier didn’t have a formal fashion education. But he loved to sketch and was drawn to clothing, citing the corsets in his maternal grandmother’s closet as having a formative impact on his creative direction. He’s said that some of his earliest fashion work was for his teddy bear, and later he would send his sketches to designers he revered, including Pierre Cardin.
Gaultier began his career in 1970 as an assistant to Cardin, who admired the sketches the 18-year-old had sent for his appraisal. After Gaultier had his first runway show in 1976, featuring unconventional statements like pairing motorcycle jackets with ballerina skirts, it didn’t take long for his star to rise. His playful but exquisitely crafted reimaginings of classic Parisian styles — the striped mariner shirt, the trench coat — soon became recurring themes of Gaultier’s eponymous house, which he founded with his life partner and business associate Francis Menuge in 1982. “He was absolutely peerless for the longest time in the late ’80s and early ’90s,” fashion editor Tim Blanks told the New York Times. This was the period of Gaultier’s most iconic designs.
In 1984, Gaultier’s “Boy Toy” collection challenged men’s fashion with striped shirts and skirts — and sold around 3,000 of them. He was hailed for spectacle-laden runway shows and superb tailoring. Gaultier began to work with Madonna during the late 1980s, and, at the pop star’s request, he designed the costumes for her 1990 “Blond Ambition” tour. Her pink corset became a cultural touchstone of the era.
Gaultier continued to expand his brand, debuting his first couture collection in 1997 and creating costumes for film and stage. He was nominated for a César Award for Best Costume Design for The City of Lost Children (1995) and then a second for Luc Besson’s The Fifth Element (1997).
From 2003 to 2010, Gaultier was the creative director for Hermès. The first international exhibition of his work, “The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk,” debuted in 2011 at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and toured to cities including Stockholm, New York City, Dallas and London. He presented his last ready-to-wear collection in 2014 and in 2020 stepped down from his couture line, ending his boundary-pushing, industry-shaping reign with a raucous show of more than 230 outfits formed from fragments of collections from across his 50-year career.
One of fashion’s enfants terribles, Gaultier has never sought out pretty for pretty’s sake. Instead, he has challenged the traditional ideals of beauty. Today, the designer's vintage clothing designs — experimental undergarments cut from lace and suede, leather-trimmed evening dresses and jackets of denim, plastic or striped jersey — are as punk as they are high fashion.
Browse a wide range of Jean Paul Gaultier clothing and accessories today on 1stDibs.
- Jean-Paul Gaultier Jacket model 1057 with Cocteau-type effigy Circa 1995By Jean Paul Gaultier Classique, Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1995 France Beautiful two-tone jacket by Jean-Paul Gaultier Classique model numbered 1057 and dating from the years 1995. Classic cut with three pockets in burgundy tergal ca...Category
1990s Tuxedo Jackets
- A Jean-Paul Gaultier Jacket of Military Inspiration Circa 2005/2010By Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 2005/2010 France Funny jacket by Jean-Paul Gaultier with wisible branding JPG Jean's in thick cotton serge flocked with velvet dating from the years 2010. Military inspiration...Category
Early 2000s Zouave Jackets
- A Jean Paul Gaultier Zipped Jacket for Gibo Circa 2010By Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 2010 France A Jean Paul Gaultier zipped jacket, as new, for Gibo from the 2010s. Very fine and very tight wool and silk gabardine with grisaille patterns in rainbow in the sha...Category
- JPG.Jean's black wool coat by Jean-Paul Gaultier - France Circa 2010By Jean Paul Gaultier, JPG by GaultierLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 2010 France Beautiful thick black felted wool coat from JPG Jean's by Gaultier dating from the 2010s. The coat was feminised by Yves Saint Laurent in 1965, then declined by J...Category
- A Peach Velvet Evening Bolero Lanvin Style Circa 1930/1940Located in Toulon, FRCirca 1930/1940 France Evening bolero in iridescent velvet with a peach skin effect dating from the 1930s / 1940s, in the same style as Jeanne Lanvin's production at the same period....Category
1930s Visite Jackets
- A Jeanne Lanvin Couture Evening Sequin embroidered Bolero Summer 1932By Jeanne LanvinLocated in Toulon, FRSummer Collection 1932 numbered 23599 France Jeanne Lanvin Haute Couture evening bolero in silver embroidered cream fibranne from the summer collection 1932. Bolero in cream jersey ...Category
1930s Bolero Jackets
You May Also Like
Early 2000s Jackets
1980s Cropped Jackets
1980s Single-Breasted Jackets
1980s Sport Jackets
1980s Sport Jackets
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery