- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Jean Paul Gaultier gold lace and silk organza corseted jacket, ss 1988
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: IT 42 - FR 38 -UK 10 - US 6 (EU)
- Place of Origin:Italy
- Seller Location:London, GB
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU14029727662
Jean Paul Gaultier
Endeavoring to tear down gender stereotypes and sartorial norms on the catwalk, making underwear outerwear, putting men in skirts and models of all shapes and sizes on the runway, the wildly provocative French fashion designer Jean Paul Gaultier has created transformational clothing designs that draw on numerous influences and boldly merge haute couture with street sensibility.
An only child raised in the suburbs of Paris, Gaultier didn’t have a formal fashion education. But he loved to sketch and was drawn to clothing, citing the corsets in his maternal grandmother’s closet as having a formative impact on his creative direction. He’s said that some of his earliest fashion work was for his teddy bear, and later he would send his sketches to designers he revered, including Pierre Cardin.
Gaultier began his career in 1970 as an assistant to Cardin, who admired the sketches the 18-year-old had sent for his appraisal. After Gaultier had his first runway show in 1976, featuring unconventional statements like pairing motorcycle jackets with ballerina skirts, it didn’t take long for his star to rise. His playful but exquisitely crafted reimaginings of classic Parisian styles — the striped mariner shirt, the trench coat — soon became recurring themes of Gaultier’s eponymous house, which he founded with his life partner and business associate Francis Menuge in 1982. “He was absolutely peerless for the longest time in the late ’80s and early ’90s,” fashion editor Tim Blanks told the New York Times. This was the period of Gaultier’s most iconic designs.
In 1984, Gaultier’s “Boy Toy” collection challenged men’s fashion with striped shirts and skirts — and sold around 3,000 of them. He was hailed for spectacle-laden runway shows and superb tailoring. Gaultier began to work with Madonna during the late 1980s, and, at the pop star’s request, he designed the costumes for her 1990 “Blond Ambition” tour. Her pink corset became a cultural touchstone of the era.
Gaultier continued to expand his brand, debuting his first couture collection in 1997 and creating costumes for film and stage. He was nominated for a César Award for Best Costume Design for The City of Lost Children (1995) and then a second for Luc Besson’s The Fifth Element (1997).
From 2003 to 2010, Gaultier was the creative director for Hermès. The first international exhibition of his work, “The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk,” debuted in 2011 at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and toured to cities including Stockholm, New York City, Dallas and London. He presented his last ready-to-wear collection in 2014 and in 2020 stepped down from his couture line, ending his boundary-pushing, industry-shaping reign with a raucous show of more than 230 outfits formed from fragments of collections from across his 50-year career.
One of fashion’s enfants terribles, Gaultier has never sought out pretty for pretty’s sake. Instead, he has challenged the traditional ideals of beauty. Today, the designer's vintage clothing designs — experimental undergarments cut from lace and suede, leather-trimmed evening dresses and jackets of denim, plastic or striped jersey — are as punk as they are high fashion.
Browse a wide range of Jean Paul Gaultier clothing and accessories today on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: London, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Men's Jean Paul Gaultier black wool blazer jacket with caged sleeves, ss 1989By Jean Paul GaultierLocated in London, GB▪ Men's Jean Paul Gaultier black double-breasted blazer jacket ▪ 100% Wool ▪ Caged sleeves ▪ Peak lapels ▪ Provenance: Pete Burns (1959–2016) ▪ Size 48 ▪ Spring-Summer 1989Category
1980s Italian Blazers
- Jean Paul Gaultier purple and black satin jacket, fw 1986By Jean Paul GaultierLocated in London, GBJean Paul Gaultier purple and black striped satin oversized jacket with ribbed wool cuffs and collar, two front pockets and zip fastenings. Fall-Winter 1986Category
- Jean Paul Gaultier multicoloured satin evening robe and cummerbund, fw 1984By Jean Paul Gaultier, Jena Paul GaultierLocated in London, GB▪ Jean Paul Gaultier multicoloured satin evening robe ▪ Matching pleated cummerbund with snap buttons ▪ Black wool fitted sleeves ▪ IT 40 - FR 36 - UK 8 - US 4 ▪ Fall-Winter 1984Category
1980s Italian Jackets
- Jean Paul Gaultier reversible chiffon and jacquard evening robe, fw 1994By Jean Paul GaultierLocated in London, GB▪ Jean Paul Gaultier reversible kimono style wrap jacket ▪ 73% Rayon, 27% Triacetate ▪ Wide sleeves ▪ Two front pockets on both sides ▪ Long waist belts ▪ IT 42 - FR 38 - UK 10 -...Category
1990s Italian Jackets
- Worlds End brown pinstripe wool 'witches' double breasted jacket, AW 1983By Worlds End, Vivienne Westwood and Malcolm MclarenLocated in London, GBWorlds End by Vivienne Westwood and Malcolm McLaren brown pinstripe wool 'witches' double breasted jacket - Large celluloid antler style buttons - Angular shoulders inset with grey...Category
1980s British Jackets
- Gucci by Tom Ford leopard print rabbit fur jacket, fw 1999By Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in London, GB▪ Gucci fur jacket ▪ Designed by Tom Ford ▪ Rabbit fur with leopard print ▪ Leather interior ▪ Hidden front zip fastening ▪ Leather belt ▪ IT 40...Category
1990s Italian Jackets
- Jean Paul Gaultier Iconic Cage Corset lace up Jacket Pant Suit S/S 1989By Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Water Mill, NYA fabulous iconic black polished cotton lace-up back cage jacket and pants suit from Jean Paul Gaultier Spring/Summer 1989 Collection. The jacket has incredible vertical boning alte...Category
1980s French Trouser Pant Suits
- Jean Paul Gaultier S/S 1999 Runway Floral print dressBy Jean Paul Gaultier Classique, Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Rome, ITJean Paul Gaultier flower print maxi dress from the S/S 1999 collection, worn by Devon Aoki. Long sleeves with crochet cuffs, meant to be worn off the shoulders. Brown inner petticoa...Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses
- Sex and The City 2, Iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Newsprint DressBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in New York, NYBeing offered is the iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Autumn/Winter 2000-2001 Newsprint Dress worn by Sarah Jessica Parker and lent by Vintage Luxury N.Y. for Sex and the City 2, the movie. The iconic Dior newsprint dress...Category
Early 2000s French Cocktail Dresses
- Alexander McQueen Spring 2004 Deliverance Patchwork 2pc Skirt & Jacket OutfitBy Alexander McQueenLocated in Portland, ORThis Spring Summer 2004 Alexander McQueen 2 piece patchwork skirt and jacket suit is a great example of Lee McQueen's attention to detail and ta...Category
Early 2000s Italian Skirt Suits
- Vintage 1999 Christian Dior by John Galliano Suede Lace Bias-Cut Gown and JacketBy Christian Dior, John GallianoLocated in Beverly Hills, CABreathtaking Christian Dior laser-cut suede and chantilly lace bias-cut gown with matching jacket that cost well over $30,000 when new. Dior is probably the best known name in high fashion since the late 1940's. This stunning Christian Dior documented runway dress ensemble from John Galliano's iconic 1999 fall-winter collection is a perfect example of why this couture house has stood the test of time. John Galliano is widely considered one of the most innovative and influential fashion designers of the early twenty-first century. He mingled his references in often surprising juxtapositions to create extravagant yet intricately engineered and meticulously tailored clothes. This gown is everything you look for in Galliano era Dior! I love the high quality light brown laser-cut suede mixed with the delicate ivory white chantily-lace. Such a chic nod to 1930's design. The seductive low-cut plunge bodice has a lingerie vibe that I find irresistible. The flattering bias-cut shape flows into a stunning skirting flounce. This construction emphasizes a woman's seductive shape without adding any bulk or volume to the actual hips. The matching blazer is a statement piece in it's own right. Love those lean, long sleeves and nipped waist. This is the type of look you will reach for anytime you want to be noticed. A rare wearable piece of fashion history. Measurements Gown (marked a EU 40) Bust: 34-36 inches Waist: 26-28 inches Hips: up to 38 inches Total Length: 62 inches Jacket (marked a EU 36) Bust: 34-36 inches Waist: 28 inches Sleeve Length: 23 inches Total Length: 21 inches This 1999 documented runway Christian Dior by...Category
1990s French Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Jean Paul Gaultier S/S 2003 Butterfly Print Top & Skirt Ensemble 2 Piece SetBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Naples, FLJean Paul Gaultier S/S 2003 Vintage Butterfly Print Lace-Up Top & Maxi Skirt Ensemble 2 Piece Set Size MCategory
Early 2000s Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Jean Paul Gaultier Runway Sheer Nude Mesh Maxi Dress, Spring-Summer 2001By Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Geneva, CHThe Look No 67 (see pictures 2 & 3) of the 2001 Jean Paul Gaultier Spring-Summer runway show, this amazing dress is cut from stretchy ribbed-mesh and refined nude silk chiffon. The m...Category
Early 2000s Italian Maxi Dress
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER "Cyberbaba" Body Optical Illusion Blazer JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER "Cyberbaba" Body Optical Illusion Blazer Jacket Approximate measurements taken laid flat, double bust and waist: Shoulder: 15.75 inches (40 cm) Sleeves: 22 inches (56 cm) Bust: 18.11 inches (46 cm) Waist: 15.75 inches (40 cm) Length: 31.89 inches (81 cm) Features: - 100% Authentic JEAN PAUL GAULTIER. - From Gaultier 1996...Category
1990s French Jackets
- VIVIENNE WESTWOOD black velvet corset, c. 1990sBy Vivienne WestwoodLocated in Genève, CH- Vivienne Westwood black velvet corset - Internal boning - Back zip fastening - UK 10 - FR 38 - US 6 / a little stretch but fit Smal...Category
1990s British Corsages
- Christian Lacroix 1999 Haute Couture Runway Jacket Blouse Ball Skirt, CorsetBy Christian LacroixLocated in Los Angeles, CAIn the early 80's Christian Lacroix was hailed as the new emerging designer of contemporary Haute Couture. And when he opened his own House in 1987 there was no doubt that his extrav...Category
Late 20th Century Evening Gowns
- Jean Paul Gaultier Cage Corset Cut Out Panel Runway Couture 1989 Blazer JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in PARIS, FRIconic cage jacket by Jean Paul Gaultier! From the Spring Summer 1989 collection! Beige cotton cut-out panels Classic collar Front button fastening and two chest pockets Junior Gau...Category
1980s Italian Jackets
- Jean Paul Gaultier JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Laguna Beach, CAVintage Jean Paul Gaultier white jacket with orange sleeves has metal buttons, signature zipper toggles, patch pockets and clips in back for an adjustable fit.Category
1980s French Cropped Jackets
- JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Size 6 Copper Silk Brass Button Hooded JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in San Francisco, CAJEAN PAUL GAULTIER jacket comes in a copper silk featuring a hooded style, elastic waistband, oversized fit, epaulettes, patch pockets, and a brass button closure. Missing two button...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Jackets$496 Sale Price20% Off
- JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Reedition 1986 Size 6 Copper Silk JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in San Francisco, CAJEAN PAUL GAULTIER "Reedition 1986" jacket comes in a copper silk featuring a corset back design, front pockets, and a mother of pearls buttoned closure. Made in Italy. Very Good Pr...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Jackets$496 Sale Price20% Off
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Size 40 Taupe Black White Stripe VestBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in San Francisco, CAVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER vest comes in a taupe & white stripe material featuring a back black panel, back belt, front pockets, and a buttoned closure. Very Good Pre-Owned Conditi...Category
19th Century Vests
- Jean Paul Gaultier Femme Religious Medals and Charms Peplum Jacket US Size 8By Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Nice, FRJEAN PAUL GAULTIER gorgeous peplum jacket featuring religious medals and charms with chains. This jacket features : - Peplum waist. - Lapel collar....Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Jackets$530 Sale Price20% Off
- Pair of Original Hans Olsen for Frem Røjle Danish Teak Bikini ChairsBy Frem Røjle, Hans OlsenLocated in Chattanooga, TNNot only are these Hans Olsen Bikini chairs in beautiful condition, but they proudly sport their original green fabric. We took these chairs...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Fabric, Teak$11,960 Sale Price / set20% Off
- Hermes Birkin 25 Jaune Poussin Togo Yellow Gold Hardware Bag Z Stamp, 2021By HermèsLocated in New York, NYHermes Birkin 25 Jaune Poussin Pale Yellow Gold Hardware Bag Z Stamp, 2021 Brand New in Box. Store fresh. Pristine Condition (with plastic on hardware) Just purchased from Hermes sto...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Top Handle Bags
- Noviembre X Coffee Table in Burned Oak Wood, Coffee Table by Joel EscalonaBy Joel EscalonaLocated in Estado de Mexico CP, Estado de MexicoNoviembre X Coffee Table in Burned Oak Wood, Coffee Table by Joel Escalona The Noviembre collection is inspired by the creative values of Constantin Brancusi, a Romanian sculptor co...Category
2010s Mexican Organic Modern Center TablesMaterials
Oak, Wood, Hardwood
- Lady Dormore - A 16th Century Portrait of a key member of Shakespeare's EnglandLocated in London, GBLady Dormer, Mary Browne c. 1592 oil on panel 35 x 29 inches, unframed; 41 x 34.75 inches, inc. frame Inscribed 'Lady Dormore' Mary married Henry Wriothesley, 2nd Earl of Southampton who gave birth to Henry Wriothesley, 3rd Earl of Southampton - one of the great figures in Shakespears"s circle and founder of the Virginia company, developers of Virginia USA. Henry Wriothesley, born 6 October 1573 at Cowdray House, Sussex, was the only son of Henry Wriothesley, 2nd Earl of Southampton, by Mary Browne, the only daughter of Anthony Browne, 1st Viscount Montague, and his first wife, Jane Radcliffe. He had two sisters, Jane, who died before 1573, and Mary (c. 1567 – 1607), who in June 1585 married Thomas Arundell, 1st Baron Arundell of Wardour. After his father's death, Southampton's mother married firstly, on 2 May 1595, as his second wife, Sir Thomas Heneage (d. 17 October 1595), Vice-Chamberlain of the Household, and secondly, between 5 November 1598 and 31 January 1599, Sir William Hervey. She died in November 1607. Early life When his father died on 4 October 1581 Southampton inherited the earldom and landed income valued at £1097 6s per annum. His wardship and marriage were sold by the Queen to her kinsman, Charles, Lord Howard of Effingham, for £1000. According to Akrigg, Howard then "entered into some further agreement, of which no documentation can now be found, which transferred to Lord Burghley personally the custody and marriage of the young Earl, but left Howard holding his lands", and late in 1581 or early in 1582 Southampton, then eight years of age, came to live at Cecil House in the Strand. In October 1585, at age twelve, Southampton entered St John's College, Cambridge, graduating M.A. on 6 June 1589. His name was entered at the Gray's Inn legal society before he left the university, and he was admitted on 29 February 1588. On Southampton's 16th birthday, 6 October 1589, Lord Burghley noted Southampton's age in his diary, and by 1590 Burghley was negotiating with Southampton's grandfather, Anthony Browne, 1st Viscount Montague, and Southampton's mother, Mary, for a marriage between Southampton and Lord Burghley's eldest granddaughter, Elizabeth Vere, daughter of Burghley's daughter, Anne Cecil, and Edward de Vere...Category
16th Century Old Masters Figurative PaintingsMaterials
- Armchair in Boucle Fabric Molteni&C by Gio Ponti D.154.2 - made in ItalyBy Molteni & C, Gio PontiLocated in New York, NYD.154.2 Lovechair in Bouclé Fabric by Gio Ponti. Expert-crafted in Italy exclusively by Molteni&C. The mid-century D.154.2 lovechair features a shell-like structure inspired by ren...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Modern ArmchairsMaterials
BoucléFrom $8,600 / item
Recently ViewedView More
You Saw It at the Met Ball. Here’s What Camp Fashion Is Really About
This year's Costume Institute exhibition is all about embracing the eccentric.
Vivienne Westwood’s Punk Spirit Lives On in This ’90s Tartan Ensemble
The shorts suit in a mash-up of patterns with an asymmetrical cut speaks to the designer’s rebellious spirit.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery