Jean Paul Gaultier S/S 1996 Vintage Cyberbaba Optical Illusion Jacket Blazer Top
Jean Paul Gaultier
Endeavoring to tear down gender stereotypes and sartorial norms on the catwalk, making underwear outerwear, putting men in skirts and models of all shapes and sizes on the runway, the wildly provocative French fashion designer Jean Paul Gaultier has created transformational clothing designs that draw on numerous influences and boldly merge haute couture with street sensibility.
An only child raised in the suburbs of Paris, Gaultier didn’t have a formal fashion education. But he loved to sketch and was drawn to clothing, citing the corsets in his maternal grandmother’s closet as having a formative impact on his creative direction. He’s said that some of his earliest fashion work was for his teddy bear, and later he would send his sketches to designers he revered, including Pierre Cardin.
Gaultier began his career in 1970 as an assistant to Cardin, who admired the sketches the 18-year-old had sent for his appraisal. After Gaultier had his first runway show in 1976, featuring unconventional statements like pairing motorcycle jackets with ballerina skirts, it didn’t take long for his star to rise. His playful but exquisitely crafted reimaginings of classic Parisian styles — the striped mariner shirt, the trench coat — soon became recurring themes of Gaultier’s eponymous house, which he founded with his life partner and business associate Francis Menuge in 1982. “He was absolutely peerless for the longest time in the late ’80s and early ’90s,” fashion editor Tim Blanks told the New York Times. This was the period of Gaultier’s most iconic designs.
In 1984, Gaultier’s “Boy Toy” collection challenged men’s fashion with striped shirts and skirts — and sold around 3,000 of them. He was hailed for spectacle-laden runway shows and superb tailoring. Gaultier began to work with Madonna during the late 1980s, and, at the pop star’s request, he designed the costumes for her 1990 “Blond Ambition” tour. Her pink corset became a cultural touchstone of the era.
Gaultier continued to expand his brand, debuting his first couture collection in 1997 and creating costumes for film and stage. He was nominated for a César Award for Best Costume Design for The City of Lost Children (1995) and then a second for Luc Besson’s The Fifth Element (1997).
From 2003 to 2010, Gaultier was the creative director for Hermès. The first international exhibition of his work, “The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk,” debuted in 2011 at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and toured to cities including Stockholm, New York City, Dallas and London. He presented his last ready-to-wear collection in 2014 and in 2020 stepped down from his couture line, ending his boundary-pushing, industry-shaping reign with a raucous show of more than 230 outfits formed from fragments of collections from across his 50-year career.
One of fashion’s enfants terribles, Gaultier has never sought out pretty for pretty’s sake. Instead, he has challenged the traditional ideals of beauty. Today, the designer's vintage clothing designs — experimental undergarments cut from lace and suede, leather-trimmed evening dresses and jackets of denim, plastic or striped jersey — are as punk as they are high fashion.
Browse a wide range of Jean Paul Gaultier clothing and accessories today on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Naples, FL
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Christian Dior By John Galliano S/S 2002 Lace-Up Denim JacketBy John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Naples, FLChristian Dior By John Galliano S/S 2002 Vintage Lace-Up Denim Jacket Christian Dior denim jacket with contrast stitching, lace-up tie det...Category
Early 2000s Jackets
- Jean Paul Gaultier Soleil Unworn Bodycon Open Knit Crochet Mesh Red Midi DressBy Jean Paul Gaultier SoleilLocated in Naples, FLJean Paul Gaultier Soleil Unworn Bodycon Open Knit Crochet Mesh Red Midi Dress Size LCategory
21st Century and Contemporary Day Dresses
- Jean Paul Gaultier S/S 2005 Semi-Sheer Mesh Abstract Salvador Dali Print DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Naples, FLJean Paul Gaultier S/S 2005 Semi-Sheer Mesh Abstract Salvador Dali Print Midi Dress Size SCategory
Early 2000s Day Dresses
- Jean Paul Gaultier Soleil Sheer Mesh Neoprene Bra Cutout Neon Romper JumpsuitBy Jean Paul Gaultier SoleilLocated in Naples, FLJean Paul Gaultier Soleil Sheer 2 Ply Mesh Neoprene Bra Cutout Neon Romper Jumpsuit Size SCategory
- Chanel Vintage Double Breasted Logo Silk Red DressBy ChanelLocated in Naples, FLChanel Vintage Logo Double Breasted Dress Vintage red and multi-color dress by Chanel. Floral print throughout. Short sleeves. Double breasted closure. Goldtone hardware. Conditi...Category
Early 2000s Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Gianni Versace 1990's Vintage Embellished Sheer Panel Red Evening Dress GownBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Naples, FLGianni Versace 1990's Vintage Embellished Sheer Panel Red Evening Dress Gown Gianni Versace red evening dress featuring sheer front panel, embellishments, and front high slit. Pleas...Category
1990s Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Vintage Issey Miyake Textured Orange & Brown Open JacketBy Issey MiyakeLocated in Oakland, CAVery early vintage Issey Miyake jacket. Contrasting colors of orange and brown. Can be worn cuffed or not. Large chest pocket. Loose, Japanese style open shape with no closures. ...Category
1970s Japanese Jackets
- Moschino 1997 Cheap & Chic 'Recipe' Watercolor Stripe Print JacketBy Moschino Cheap and ChicLocated in Oakland, CAA vintage women's jacket from the 90s by Moschino for the Cheap and Chic line. In a rayon fabric that is woven in a way that it feels like linen and has watercolor inspired stripes i...Category
1990s Italian Blazers
- Gucci by Tom Ford Orange Rider JacketBy Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Beverly Hills, CAThis jacket uses one of Ford’s signature silhouettes — the collared rider jacket. Like most of his outerwear, it’s cut with a narrow, masculine cut which ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Jackets
- Valentino Red Suede Jacket Size 42By ValentinoLocated in Beverly Hills, CAProduct details: Featuring red suede with floral print, front silver tone zip closure and two front pocket with buttons. Made in Italy. Size 42.Category
Late 20th Century Italian Jackets
- ESCADA Vintage Velvet Black and Maroon BlazerBy Escada Margaretha LeyLocated in Thousand Oaks, CAESCADA Vintage Velvet Black and Maroon Blazer Gold Buttons (top button missing) Lined. Size 38 Some small imperfections Hits above knee depending on height.Category
- Pierre Balmain Paris red rose light wool jacketBy Pierre BalmainLocated in Amsterdam, NLThis Balmain jacket is made from wool has 3 closing buttons and 2 pockets. Size is mentioned French 44 but fits as US 10 or EU 40 See section measurements. Please note that vintage ...Category
20th Century French Vests
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery