- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Jean Paul Gaultier Vintage dark grey ribbed wool 90s double-breasted jacket
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: 42 IT (NA)
- Seller Location:Lugo (RA), IT
- Reference Number:Seller: A72921stDibs: LU602318210022
Jean Paul Gaultier
Endeavoring to tear down gender stereotypes and sartorial norms on the catwalk, making underwear outerwear, putting men in skirts and models of all shapes and sizes on the runway, the wildly provocative French fashion designer Jean Paul Gaultier has created transformational clothing designs that draw on numerous influences and boldly merge haute couture with street sensibility.
An only child raised in the suburbs of Paris, Gaultier didn’t have a formal fashion education. But he loved to sketch and was drawn to clothing, citing the corsets in his maternal grandmother’s closet as having a formative impact on his creative direction. He’s said that some of his earliest fashion work was for his teddy bear, and later he would send his sketches to designers he revered, including Pierre Cardin.
Gaultier began his career in 1970 as an assistant to Cardin, who admired the sketches the 18-year-old had sent for his appraisal. After Gaultier had his first runway show in 1976, featuring unconventional statements like pairing motorcycle jackets with ballerina skirts, it didn’t take long for his star to rise. His playful but exquisitely crafted reimaginings of classic Parisian styles — the striped mariner shirt, the trench coat — soon became recurring themes of Gaultier’s eponymous house, which he founded with his life partner and business associate Francis Menuge in 1982. “He was absolutely peerless for the longest time in the late ’80s and early ’90s,” fashion editor Tim Blanks told the New York Times. This was the period of Gaultier’s most iconic designs.
In 1984, Gaultier’s “Boy Toy” collection challenged men’s fashion with striped shirts and skirts — and sold around 3,000 of them. He was hailed for spectacle-laden runway shows and superb tailoring. Gaultier began to work with Madonna during the late 1980s, and, at the pop star’s request, he designed the costumes for her 1990 “Blond Ambition” tour. Her pink corset became a cultural touchstone of the era.
Gaultier continued to expand his brand, debuting his first couture collection in 1997 and creating costumes for film and stage. He was nominated for a César Award for Best Costume Design for The City of Lost Children (1995) and then a second for Luc Besson’s The Fifth Element (1997).
From 2003 to 2010, Gaultier was the creative director for Hermès. The first international exhibition of his work, “The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk,” debuted in 2011 at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and toured to cities including Stockholm, New York City, Dallas and London. He presented his last ready-to-wear collection in 2014 and in 2020 stepped down from his couture line, ending his boundary-pushing, industry-shaping reign with a raucous show of more than 230 outfits formed from fragments of collections from across his 50-year career.
One of fashion’s enfants terribles, Gaultier has never sought out pretty for pretty’s sake. Instead, he has challenged the traditional ideals of beauty. Today, the designer's vintage clothing designs — experimental undergarments cut from lace and suede, leather-trimmed evening dresses and jackets of denim, plastic or striped jersey — are as punk as they are high fashion.
Browse a wide range of Jean Paul Gaultier clothing and accessories today on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Lugo (RA), Italy
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
- 1990s Jean Paul Gaultier black leather long jacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Lugo (RA), ITJean Paul Gaultier black leather long jacket. Model with round neckline, zip closure on the back, contrasting long sleeves in burgundy wool and four welt pockets with zip. Size: 44 ...Category
1990s French Jackets
- 2000s Romeo Gigli Green Knitted VestBy Romeo GigliLocated in Lugo (RA), ITRomeo Gigli green cotton vest. V-neck and tight rib knit. Years: 2000s Made in Italy Size: 52 IT Flat measurements Height: 62 cm Bust: 49 cmCategory
Early 2000s Italian Vests
- 1990s Jil Sander Bicolor Cotton JacketBy Jil SanderLocated in Lugo (RA), ITJil Sander eye-catching blush pink and dark blue stretch cotton contrasting straight blazer jacket for male, with classic lapels, a front buttons fastening, long sleeves, slit cuffs,...Category
1990s Italian Jackets
- 1980s Claude Montana black wool jacketBy Claude MontanaLocated in Lugo (RA), ITClaude Montana black wool jacket, with leather lapel collar, long sleeves and bottoned cuffs. Single button front closure, one leather front patch pocket and two welt pockets. Full l...Category
- 1980s A.N.G.E.L.O. Vintage Cult Hooded CoatLocated in Lugo (RA), ITA.N.G.E.L.O. Vintage - Italy A.N.G.E.L.O. Vintage Cult blue wool coat with hood edged in fox fur. Round collar, front snap button closure, long...Category
- 2010s Jil Sander melange black wool blend jacketBy Jil SanderLocated in Lugo (RA), ITJil Sander melange black wool blend jacket. Classic lapel collar, central closure and back bow. Long sleeves, padded shoulder straps and buttoned cuffs. Size: 34 FR Flat measuremen...Category
- 1990s Marc Laurent Paris Black Leather Avant Garde 90s Jacket + Mini Skirt SuitLocated in San Diego, CAAvant Garde 1990s MARC LAURENT of Paris black leather jacket and mini skirt ensemble! Jacket features dolman sleeves with a clinched wasp waist. Detach...Category
1980s French Skirt Suits$1,340 Sale Price20% Off
- Iconic Yves Saint Laurent 1990s Leopard Print Chenille Vintage 90s Jacket BlazerBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in San Diego, CAIconic, and nothing short of spectacular early 1990s YVES SAINT LAURENT YSL ' Rive Gauche ' leopard cheetah print tailored jacket! Four large wood buttons up the front. Pockets at ea...Category
1990s French Blazers
- Jean Paul Gaultier AW1999 Moto Leather JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Beverly Hills, CAWith no formal fashion education to boast of, Jean Paul Gaultier established himself in the 70s and 80s as the “enfant terrible" of French fashion. His irreverent style left nothing ...Category
- Vintage S/S 1999 Jean Paul Gaultier Pink Kimono Crop TopBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Austin, TXS/S 1999 JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Silk Kimono Crop Top Pink Three-Quarter sleeve tie at front Bust: open, Waist: 30-42", Length: 14.5" Made in Italy 61% linen, 39% silk Condition: Excelle...Category
1990s Italian Jackets
- Black Tuxedo double breasted jacket Gianni Versace CoutureBy Gianni Versace CoutureLocated in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FRBlack Tuxedo double breasted jacket and rhinestone branded button. Half-belt in the middle back. Branded metal studs in the back. Fabric composition: 90% wool, 10% silk. SIZE MCategory
1990s Italian Double-Breasted Jackets
- 1980s Thierry Mugler Vintage Black Wool Jacket + Skirt Suit 2-Pc EnsembleBy Thierry MuglerLocated in Sparks, NVChic vintage Thierry Mugler skirt suit. Architectural jacket with ribbed knit wool trim. Both pieces are fully lined in acetate. Rear zip and h...Category
1980s French Blazers
- Thierry Mugler SS 1989 Les Atlantes Jacket Black Dramatic Sculptural ArchiveBy Thierry MuglerLocated in Berlin, BEFabulous black Thierry Mugler Jacket, Spring Summer 1989 Collection Stunning and super dramatic sculptural jacket from Thierry Mugler's iconic LES ATLANTES Collection 1989. A rare Collectors piece and example of the Designer Legend's iconic signature looks: Phenomenal tailoring, extraordinairy shapes and a beautiful feminine sculptural silhouette. Asymmetrical pointy high collar, fin-like shaped details on the sleeves and a silver metal detail at the waist. Deep sexy V-Neck and closes with one press button at the waist. LES ATLANTES "The Thierry Mugler Spring/Summer 1989 show, entitled 'Les Atlantes,' took place at Paris Fashion Week. Inspired by the deep seas, a group of models in jumpsuits with fish gills on the hips emerged as futuristic sea creatures. Jacket necklines were cut in the shape of waves, fins were attached to sleeves, and peplum waists were made from transparent plastic. A swimwear section rendered in silver, shades of blue, and water print, was complete with fish gill detailing and fin-shaped bracelets. Sleeves of dresses came attached to the bodice, whilst pulling down hems revealed jagged pockets reminiscent of shark teeth...Category
1980s French Jackets
- Yves Saint Laurent Vintage Rive Gauche 80s 90s Striped Linen Jacket CoatBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireA stunning vintage womens jacket from the late 80s / early 90s by Yves Saint Laurent. Made in France from a black linen with a grey vertical p...Category
1980s French Blazers
- Roberto Cavalli S/S 2005 Bustier Corset Silk Abstract Print Crop TopBy Roberto CavalliLocated in Naples, FLRoberto Cavalli S/S 2005 Bustier Corset Silk Abstract Print Crop Top Size IT 40Category
Early 2000s Bustiers
- 1950S JAQUES FATH Black Haute Couture Silk Velvet & Taffeta Strapless Bustier TLocated in New York, NY1950S JAQUES FATH Black Haute Couture Silk Velvet & Taffeta Strapless Bustier TopCategory
- 1990s Jean Paul Gaultier Sleeveless Leather JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Austin, TX1990s Jean Paul Gaultier Sleeveless Leather Jacket Condition: Good, all over wear Size L 42" bust, 38" waist, 20" length 100% leather / Cotton liningCategory
1990s French Vests
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Metal Pocket Denim JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Metal Pocket Denim Jacket Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 22.05 inches (56 cm) Sleeves: 24 inches (61 cm) Bust: 24 i...Category
20th Century French Jackets
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Tube Hoops Blazer JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Tube Hoops Blazer Jacket Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 15 inches (38.10 cm) Sleeve...Category
20th Century French Jackets
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER 2 in 1 Denim Convertible Vest DressBy Jean Paul Gaultier, JPG by GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER 2 in 1 Denim Convertible Vest Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 13.38 inches (34 cm) Bust: 17.32 inches (44 cm) Waist: 13.77 inches (35 cm) Hips: 17.71 inches (45 cm) Length: 43.30 inches (110 cm) Features: - 100% Authentic JEAN PAUL GAULTIER. - Dark denim 2 in 1 convertible dress...Category
1990s French Informal Dresses
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER "Cyberbaba" Body Optical Illusion Blazer JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER "Cyberbaba" Body Optical Illusion Blazer Jacket Approximate measurements taken laid flat, double bust and waist: Shoulder: 15.75 inches (40 cm) Sleeves: 22 inches (56 cm) Bust: 18.11 inches (46 cm) Waist: 15.75 inches (40 cm) Length: 31.89 inches (81 cm) Features: - 100% Authentic JEAN PAUL GAULTIER. - From Gaultier 1996...Category
1990s French Jackets
- Vintage 1989 JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Leopard Print Corset Flare Vest JacketBy Gaultier Junior, Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage 1989 JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Leopard Print Corset Flare Vest Jacket Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 19.29...Category
1980s French Jackets
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery