Moschino Cheap Chic Daisy Blazer
About the Item
The Moschino story begins in the early 1980s, when Franco Moschino (1950–94), a freelance magazine illustrator and Gianni Versace collaborator, founded a label in Italy whose ethos was all about having fun.
Moschino initially pursued a degree in painting at Milan Academy of Fine Arts during the late 1960s, turning to freelance illustration to help pay his way through school. He found inspiration in Pop art, Dadaism and bold graphics. During the 1970s, he began to work for Gianni Versace’s now-legendary house as a sketcher and freelanced as a clothing designer with other fashion labels. In 1983, encouraged by Versace, he launched his own extravagant and excessive couture collection.
Moschino’s expertly tailored, vibrant designs for casual wear and more, each adorned with loud, playful details, spoofed the chic high fashion of the day, and his close relationship with fine art — as well as his eye for innovation — welcomed comparisons to Elsa Schiaparelli over the years. The label’s work essentially mocked the industry even as its hand fed Moschino, with the founder emblazoning shirts with slogans such as “Good taste doesn’t exist” or embroidering jackets with the phrase “Waist of money,” while the theatrical shows were positioned with an undercurrent of critique. Today, the Metropolitan Museum of Art holds two vintage Moschino handbags in its collection: one shaped like a milk carton and the other an iron.
“Under all the surface witticisms, [Moschino] had a serious knack for running class pieces through a wringer of irony or Surrealism,” observed Vogue. “Chanel-isms were his favorite trope, though he also poked fun at Jean Paul Gaultier’s lingerie dressing and put out pasta bags in a parody of the Prada accessories craze.”
Accessories, jeans and the first men’s collection were presented at the Regal Palace in Milan in 1985, with his Moschino Jeans womenswear collection following in 1986. Then Moschino released Moschino for Women, its first fragrance, the next year in Europe. In 1988, long before brands had considered the concept of a spin-off, Moschino bowed its cheeky diffusion line for men and women, Moschino Cheap & Chic, during the shows in Milan. The label thrived, adding its first stores in Italy and campaigning for eco-friendly fur. Its retrospective-slash-fashion-show “X Years of Kaos” in the early 1990s benefited a children’s AIDS organization.
After Moschino’s untimely death at the age of 44 from AIDS complications, Rossella Jardini, his longtime friend and colleague, took the reins. She carried the torch for nearly 20 years, adding eyewear, watches and jewelry. American designer Jeremy Scott was named creative director in 2013.
Scott, who grew up on a farm and once unveiled a collection of evening dresses charred with burn marks, imbues all his work with a message of inclusion, be it his Fast Food collection in 2014 (hot dog dress included) or Moschino Barbie. “I don’t care if the critics don’t like me,” Scott told Vogue. “I want to be the people’s designer, like Diana was the people’s princess.”
Find vintage Moschino clothing on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Los Angeles, CA
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Givenchy Black White Bolero Corset JacketBy GivenchyLocated in Los Angeles, CAStand out in a good way wearing this runway jacket by Givenchy ! Pair with black skinny Pants and boots for a great look. Corset / Bustier style is super sexy! Low bodice. Viscose bl...Category
2010s French Bolero Jackets
- Versus by Versace Black Leather Jacket BlazerBy Gianni Versace, VersusLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis vintage Versus by Versace black leather jacket w/ buckles at the waist is a great find! Perfect 4 Fall dressing! Pair w/ black skinny pants & boots and crisp white shirt underne...Category
1990s Italian Blazers
- Moschino Cheap Chic Burlap Bag Blazer The NannyBy MoschinoLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino cheap chic burlap bag blazer the nanny Be retro cool wearing this vintage blazer by Moschino Cheap and Chic. Pair with black skinny jeans ...Category
1990s Italian Blazers
- Todd Oldham Black Crepe Door Handle JacketBy Todd OldhamLocated in Los Angeles, CAThe Vintage Todd Oldham black wool crepe blazer is a show piece, with unique gold metal buttons and door handles on the pockets! Pair with classic ...Category
1990s American Jackets
- Saint Laurent Size 40 Black Satin Bomber Woven Sleeves JacketBy Saint LaurentLocated in Los Angeles, CASaint Laurent makes a unique casual / upscale statement for dressing with this black satin and wool sleeves varsity jacket. Interesting details lik the all seeing eye! Pair with bl...Category
2010s Italian Jackets
- Gucci Women’s Black Tuxedo Smoking JacketBy GucciLocated in Los Angeles, CAUnique evening jacket tuxedo inspired style by Gucci. Pair with a black pencil skirt or tuxedo pants for a finished look. Textured fabric is lined in silk. Pair with black skinny pan...Category
2010s Italian Tuxedo Jackets
- Hiroko Koshino Japan Black Design Jacket 1980Located in Amsterdam, NLVintage jacket from Japanese designer "Hiroko Koshino" with long front (88cm/34.64 inch) and attached inside vest, inside button with a short back (65c...Category
20th Century Unknown Blazers
- Yves Saint Laurent Burgundy Velvet JacketBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Amsterdam, NLThis vintage YSL "Rive Gauche" jacket is made of soft bordeaux velvet with 5 black buttons at the front, no pockets. Size is marked EU 42 but fits like a EU 40/ US 10, please refer t...Category
20th Century French Blazers
- Alexander McQueen 2000s Dark Charcoal and Black Exaggerated Collar Blazer JacketBy Alexander McQueenLocated in San Francisco, CAAlexander McQueen tailored blazer in a very dark charcoal grey miniature herringbone featuring amazing black statement collar with stitched...Category
Early 2000s Italian Blazers
- Alexander Mcqueen 1998 Joan Skirt Suit with Zippered Jacket and Logo Red LiningBy Alexander McQueenLocated in San Francisco, CAVintage 1990s Alexander Mcqueen grey skirt suit from the 1998 Joan collection. Suit is made of a beautiful grey and black fabric with a light sheen. A...Category
1990s Italian Skirt Suits
- Armani Collezioni Grey and Black Check Short Sleeve Blazer JacketBy Giorgio ArmaniLocated in San Francisco, CAArmani Collezioni short sleeved jacket in a very pale grey and black checked pattern. Elastic at hem of short sleeves. Zips and snaps up front with adjustable hidden elastic at waist...Category
Early 2000s Italian Jackets