Versace Spring Summer Black Leather Fringed Jacket with Lace Up Back , 2002
About the Item
The signature extravagance of legendary fashion designer Gianni Versace — forever aligned with glamour, sex, celebrity and spectacle — can overshadow the Italian couturier’s broad and deep engagement with history and culture. More than any designer before him, Versace mined celebrity, music and Pop art for inspiration, and his subversive, maximalist and unabashedly seductive designs infused high fashion with an entirely new ethos.
“I don’t believe in good taste,” Versace once explained. Instead, he had a sexy good time with fashion — as he did with life. Today, vintage Gianni Versace clothing, handbags and other accessories look astonishingly fresh and freshly relevant.
Gianni Versace was born in Calabria, Italy. His mother was a successful dressmaker who employed more than 40 seamstresses. As a child, little Gianni marveled at her workshop, which would become a university of sorts, where he learned the exceptional construction techniques that were at the foundation of his creative expression. In 1972, at age 25, he moved to Milan to work in fashion. He launched his first collection — and his label — in 1978, with his older brother Santo managing the business concerns. Soon, sister Donatella, whom Gianni dressed and took to discos when she was still a child, joined the family venture, where she had a creative role and managed enormously popular ready-to-wear lines such as Versus.
Vintage Versace has become catnip for modern fashion enthusiasts who seek out the now-iconic house codes that originated in the designs of the 1980s and 1990s. His glamorous and seductive apparel — the clingy skirts and slender, strappy party dresses, as well as the erotic magazine ads that publicized them — looms large, but Versace’s art and historical influences were also vast.
Versace was an art collector, and he took on commissions to create costumes for theatrical performances during the 1980s and spoke of looking to numerous cultures for inspiration. The New York Times noted in 1997 that the fashion industry “is now driven by contemporary culture because Mr. Versace made it that way.” Insiders consider his 1991/1992 Autumn/Winter runway show — which featured supermodels Christy Turlington, Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell and Linda Evangelista lip-synching George Michael’s “Freedom” — as the moment when the two worlds of fashion and pop culture became one, changing both forever.
Versace's adventurous spirit of design resulted in his creating jewel-toned prints rooted in Grecian motifs, Etruscan symbols, the Italian Baroque and Andy Warholʼs Marilyn Monroe. There were slinky dresses in Oroton, his patented chain-mail textile that draped like satin, and leather bondage ensembles. Sex sold, for both women and men. Wrote the late curator Richard Martin, “[Versace] became the standard-bearer of gay men’s fashion because he eschewed decorum and designed for desire.”
Following Versace’s tragic murder in 1997, Donatella took over the role of artistic director and continued to evolve the house codes with a twist of her feminine and feminist perspective. Today, Santo Versace is chief executive officer of Versace and Donatella is its chief creative officer.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Studio City, CA
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- 2016 Gucci Black & Dusty Rose Lace Bomber JacketBy GucciLocated in Studio City, CA2016 Resort Collection Gucci dusty rose with black lace overlay bomber jacket. Jacket has standing collar, dual welt pockets at waist, rib knit trim at waist, collar and cuffs and si...Category
2010s Italian Jackets
- 1970's Yves Saint Laurent YSL Burgundy Wool & Velvet Trimmed Iconic JacketBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Studio City, CAYves Saint Laurent burgundy wool & black velvet trimmed iconic jacket from Cossack Collection. Beginnings of 4-5 small holes that do not go all the way through the fabric - see photo...Category
1970s French Jackets
- Chanel Black Faux Fur & Bead Vest w/Dramatic CollarBy ChanelLocated in Studio City, CAChanel black faux fur vest dotted with black shiny hanging beads, hook and eye closure and decorative black metal and enamel CC logo button at closure. In excellent condition. Size 4...Category
Early 2000s French Vests
- Tsumori Chisato Reversible Eskimo-Themed Down Jacket w/Fur-Trimmed HoodBy Tsumori ChisatoLocated in Studio City, CATsumori Chisato signature style whimsical reversible down zipper front jacket with an asymmetric printed winter scene featuring a snowy landscape filled with smiling Eskimos, penguin...Category
Early 2000s Japanese Jackets
- Balenciaga by Nicolas Ghesquiere Black Leather & Wool Motorcycle JacketBy BalenciagaLocated in Studio City, CABalenciaga by Ghesquiere black biker or flight style jacket w/leather sleeves and wool blend bodice and cuffs. In excellent condition. Size EU 38. MEASUREMENTS: Bust - 36" Waist -...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Jackets
- 1970's Yves Saint Laurent YSL Black Velvet Russian Collection Jacket w/Silk TiesBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Studio City, CA1970's Yves Saint Laurent Russian collection black velvet jacket with Pierrot collar and black silk cord neck ties. In excellent condition - size tag 40.Category
1970s French Jackets
- Hiroko Koshino Japan Black Design Jacket 1980Located in Amsterdam, NLVintage jacket from Japanese designer "Hiroko Koshino" with long front (88cm/34.64 inch) and attached inside vest, inside button with a short back (65c...Category
20th Century Unknown Blazers
- Yves Saint Laurent Burgundy Velvet JacketBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Amsterdam, NLThis vintage YSL "Rive Gauche" jacket is made of soft bordeaux velvet with 5 black buttons at the front, no pockets. Size is marked EU 42 but fits like a EU 40/ US 10, please refer t...Category
20th Century French Blazers
- Alexander McQueen 2000s Dark Charcoal and Black Exaggerated Collar Blazer JacketBy Alexander McQueenLocated in San Francisco, CAAlexander McQueen tailored blazer in a very dark charcoal grey miniature herringbone featuring amazing black statement collar with stitched...Category
Early 2000s Italian Blazers
- Alexander Mcqueen 1998 Joan Skirt Suit with Zippered Jacket and Logo Red LiningBy Alexander McQueenLocated in San Francisco, CAVintage 1990s Alexander Mcqueen grey skirt suit from the 1998 Joan collection. Suit is made of a beautiful grey and black fabric with a light sheen. A...Category
1990s Italian Skirt Suits
- Dolce & Gabbana Black and Purple Silk Floral Tulip Print Cropped Jacket BoleroBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in San Francisco, CADolce & Gabbana black and purplish floral tulip print silk cropped bolero with bow detail at front, wide sleeves. Fastens at front with two hidden snap closures. 100% silk. Lined i...Category
2010s Italian Bolero Jackets