- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Versace Spring Summer Black Leather Fringed Jacket with Lace Up Back , 2002
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Los Angeles, CA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Manufacturer
The signature extravagance of legendary fashion designer Gianni Versace — forever aligned with glamour, sex, celebrity and spectacle — can overshadow the Italian couturier’s broad and deep engagement with history and culture. More than any designer before him, Versace mined celebrity, music and Pop art for inspiration, and his subversive, maximalist and unabashedly seductive designs infused high fashion with an entirely new ethos.
“I don’t believe in good taste,” Versace once explained. Instead, he had a sexy good time with fashion — as he did with life. Today, vintage Gianni Versace clothing, handbags and other accessories look astonishingly fresh and freshly relevant.
Gianni Versace was born in Calabria, Italy. His mother was a successful dressmaker who employed more than 40 seamstresses. As a child, little Gianni marveled at her workshop, which would become a university of sorts, where he learned the exceptional construction techniques that were at the foundation of his creative expression. In 1972, at age 25, he moved to Milan to work in fashion. He launched his first collection — and his label — in 1978, with his older brother Santo managing the business concerns. Soon, sister Donatella, whom Gianni dressed and took to discos when she was still a child, joined the family venture, where she had a creative role and managed enormously popular ready-to-wear lines such as Versus.
Vintage Versace has become catnip for modern fashion enthusiasts who seek out the now-iconic house codes that originated in the designs of the 1980s and 1990s. His glamorous and seductive apparel — the clingy skirts and slender, strappy party dresses, as well as the erotic magazine ads that publicized them — looms large, but Versace’s art and historical influences were also vast.
Versace was an art collector, and he took on commissions to create costumes for theatrical performances during the 1980s and spoke of looking to numerous cultures for inspiration. The New York Times noted in 1997 that the fashion industry “is now driven by contemporary culture because Mr. Versace made it that way.” Insiders consider his 1991/1992 Autumn/Winter runway show — which featured supermodels Christy Turlington, Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell and Linda Evangelista lip-synching George Michael’s “Freedom” — as the moment when the two worlds of fashion and pop culture became one, changing both forever.
Versace's adventurous spirit of design resulted in his creating jewel-toned prints rooted in Grecian motifs, Etruscan symbols, the Italian Baroque and Andy Warholʼs Marilyn Monroe. There were slinky dresses in Oroton, his patented chain-mail textile that draped like satin, and leather bondage ensembles. Sex sold, for both women and men. Wrote the late curator Richard Martin, “[Versace] became the standard-bearer of gay men’s fashion because he eschewed decorum and designed for desire.”
Following Versace’s tragic murder in 1997, Donatella took over the role of artistic director and continued to evolve the house codes with a twist of her feminine and feminist perspective. Today, Santo Versace is chief executive officer of Versace and Donatella is its chief creative officer.
- Versace Black Leather Motorcycle JacketBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Los Angeles, CAEarly 1990's Versace cropped black leather motorcycle jacket with a decorative zipper design motif at the cuffs and waist. The leather is incredibly soft and supple. There is no size...Category
- Balenciaga by Nicolas Ghesquiere Black Leather & Wool Motorcycle JacketLocated in Los Angeles, CABalenciaga by Ghesquiere black biker or flight style jacket w/leather sleeves and wool blend bodice and cuffs. In excellent condition. Size EU 38. MEASUREMENTS: Bust - 36" Waist -...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Jackets
- Yves Saint Laurent YSL Haute Couture "Le Smoking" Tuxedo Jacket & Skirt No.64222By Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Los Angeles, CA1980's Yves Saint Laurent haute couture Le Smoking black wool tuxedo jacket and skirt. In excellent condition. Please see measurements - if skirt measurements are desired, please inq...Category
- Chanel Black Faux Fur & Bead Vest w/Dramatic CollarBy ChanelLocated in Los Angeles, CAChanel black faux fur vest dotted with black shiny hanging beads, hook and eye closure and decorative black metal and enamel CC logo button at closure. In excellent condition. Size 4...Category
Early 2000s Vests
- Azzedine Alaia Black Bolero Top w/Scalloped EdgesBy Azzedine AlaïaLocated in Los Angeles, CAVintage Azzedine Alaia black stretch bolero top with scalloped edges. In excellent condition. Fabric is a Viscose blend. Size M. MEASUREMENTS: Shoulders - 17.5" Sleeves - 22" Length ...Category
1990s Bolero Jackets
- 1970's Yves Saint Laurent YSL Black Velvet Russian Collection Jacket w/Silk TiesBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Los Angeles, CA1970's Yves Saint Laurent Russian collection black velvet jacket with Pierrot collar and black silk cord neck ties. In excellent condition - size tag 40.Category
You May Also Like
1990s Skirt Suits
20th Century Vests
1980s Cropped Jackets
20th Century Jackets
20th Century Jackets
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery