- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Vintage Giorgio Armani Sequined Black Evening Jacket, 1980S
About the Item
- Dimensions:Length: 23.2 in (58.93 cm)Marked Size: 6 (US)Bust: 32.6 in (82.81 cm)Waist: 31.9 in (81.03 cm)Shoulder to Hem: 14.9 in (37.85 cm)
- Style:1980s (Of the Period)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Very good. No visible signs of wear.
- Seller Location:New York, NY
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU2861217685292
Fashion may be a fluid industry that evolves with the times, but few designers were gutsy enough to break with the norms and endeavor to revolutionize it the way Piacenza, Italy, native Giorgio Armani did.
When he established his brand with his personal and professional partner, architect Sergio Galeotti, in 1975, Armani created jackets, evening dresses and other clothing that sharply departed from the form-fitting designs that his competitors were producing. Working with a subdued color palette and light fabrics, Armani instead pioneered power dressing. By the early 1980s, the designer was lauded for his sleek but relaxed-fit shirts in washed greens and beige tones for men and elegant, broad-shouldered suits for career-minded women. His collections were intended to fit naturally but confer a sense of confidence on the wearer, and the designs were just as luxurious as the garments that were gliding down Milanese catwalks at the time.
Armani, a shipping manager’s son, spent his childhood wanting to become a doctor, and he even studied medicine briefly at the University of Milan before dropping out and joining the army. In the late 1950s, he was hired as a window dresser at the Milan department store La Rinascente before moving into the role of menswear buyer. When he realized that his calling was in fashion design, not buying, he left La Rinascente to train at Nino Cerruti’s atelier and eventually began to take on what became a wealth of freelance design work.
At Galeotti’s urging, Armani opened his own design office in 1973, and two years later, he established his eponymous label of ready-to-wear for both men and women that challenged fashion’s traditional silhouettes and the conventions of tailoring.
“I was the first to soften the image of men and harden the image of women,” Armani has said of his early years. The designer dressed men in soft textures such as silk and linen that were traditionally relegated to feminine garments and designed power suits for women — an audacious and undeniably androgynous take on high fashion that was well received by critics. He won the Neiman Marcus Fashion Award in 1979, and his collections for men and women gained legions of admirers in Europe. However, it wasn’t until the premiere of the film American Gigolo — featuring heartthrob Richard Gere exclusively outfitted in a crisp, sleek and sexy Armani wardrobe — that the brand took off in the United States.
Today, Armani is still designing ready-to-wear collections, and the luxury house has expanded over the years into home decor, hospitality and more. In February 2020, at the onset of the Covid-19 crisis, Armani was the first fashion house to close its runway shows to the public in order to limit exposure. In early 2022, the brand was among the first to cancel men’s and haute couture shows scheduled in January.
Find vintage Giorgio Armani clothing on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Alpharetta, GA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Chanel Lemon Vintage Knitted Blazer, Late 1980’s – Early 1990’sBy Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel, ChanelLocated in New York, NYVintage Chanel knitted blazer, Late 1980’s – Early 1990’s. Green color, gold buttons, pointed collar Fabric: Not listed, feels like wool blend. Size: 36 / S Bust: 31″/ 79 cm Waist:...Category
20th Century French Blazers
- Thierry Mugler Vintage Star-Embellished Evening Jacket, 1980sBy Thierry MuglerLocated in New York, NYVintage structured jacket by Thierry Mugler decorated with metal stars at the shoulders and on the back. Accented waistline, collarless. Slit Pockets. Button Closure. Condition: ...Category
1980s French Jackets
- Chanel Vintage Blue Notch-Lapel Button-Up Blazer, 1990sBy Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel, ChanelLocated in New York, NYDark blue Chanel blazer with striped pattern throughout, notched lapels, dual flap pockets at front, silver-tone chain at interior hem and interlocking CC button closures at center f...Category
1990s French Blazers
- Chanel Vintage Boutique Short Sleeve Evening Blazer, 1990sBy Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel, ChanelLocated in New York, NYVintage Chanel Boutique short sleeve evening blazer with gold metal buttons with embossed elephants. Period: 1990s Fabric: Not listed, feels like linen and silk blend. Size – S/ 36 ...Category
1990s European Blazers
- Vintage Chanel Pink and Metallic Blazer, Cruise 2001 CollectionBy Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel, ChanelLocated in New York, NYChanel blazer from the Cruise 2001 collection by Karl Lagerfeld Metallic & Pink color, tweed Pattern, pointed collar, slit Pockets & button closure Fabric: 39% Wool, 29% Silk, 20% P...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Blazers
- Vintage Thierry Mugler Acrylic Button Blazer, 2000By Thierry MuglerLocated in New York, NYVintage Thierry Mugler blue button blazer with pointed collar and snap closure. Cruise 2000 Collection Size: L Bust: 35.5" Waist: 31.25" Shoulder: 15" Length: 27" Sleeve: 27" Compo...Category
Early 2000s French Blazers
- Thierry Mugler Vintage Sheer Blouse and Tulle Skirt Fall 1992 Size 40FRBy Thierry MuglerLocated in Saint Petersburg, FLThierry Mugler Vintage Sheer Blouse and Tulle Skirt Fall 1992 Size 40FRCategory
1990s French Skirt Suits
- Vintage 1950's Fercioni Couture Metallic Floral Lamé Strapless Hourglass GownLocated in Beverly Hills, CAA simply stunning and ultra rare Giovanni Fercioni colorful metallic floral lamé hourglass gown dating back to the early 1950's. Giovanni Fercioni (1886-1961) owns a very famous high...Category
1950s Italian Wedding Dresses
- 1990S JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Black Sheer JPG Fishnet Sailor Stripe Sequin Dress WitBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in New York, NY1990S JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Black Sheer JPG Fishnet Sailor Stripe Sequin Dress With HoodCategory
1990s Car Coats
- Christian Dior by John Galliano Lace Camisole and Skirt SetBy John Galliano, Christian DiorLocated in Water Mill, NYA fabulous 2 piece set in white lace from Christian Dior. It consists of a scoop neck camisole tank style top and straight midi length skirt in alternating lines of lace and sheer. ...Category
1990s French Day Dresses
- NEW Gucci Ombre Macrame Tassel Silk Embroidery Fringed Skirt 42By GucciLocated in Switzerland, CHSTUNNING GUCCI MACRAME FRINGE TASSEL EMBROIDERED SILK SKIRT FEATURED IN THE GUCCI AD CAMPAIGN SHOWN ON RUNWAY SHOW AND MANY MAGAZINE EDITORIALS A GUCCI classic signature pie...Category
Early 2000s Italian A-Line Skirts$899 Sale Price70% Off
- Giorgio Armani Pearl Grey Jacket Size 44 EU NewBy Giorgio ArmaniLocated in New York, NYSoft and luxurious Giorgio Armani pearl grey jacket , new with tags. Beautifully tapered to fit the body. The jacket features a notched lapel collar, and three matte buttons down the...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Jackets
- Mani by Armani Green Wool Classic JacketBy Giorgio ArmaniLocated in Brindisi, BtMani women's 80's vintage jacket. Green color, 100% wool. Classic model with one button. Pockets on the hips. Made in Italy. Excellent vintage condition. Size: 46 It 12 Us 14 Uk Sh...Category
1990s Italian Jackets
- Giorgio Armani Navy and Black Top JacketBy Giorgio ArmaniLocated in Beverly Hills, CAProduct details: The jacket features navy cotton like material with striped detail and black collar, front button closure and front side pocket detail. Material and sizing tag is mi...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Jackets$312 Sale Price20% Off
- Giorgio Armani Cream Blazer JacketBy Giorgio ArmaniLocated in Beverly Hills, CA- The jacket features stripped pattern motif, collar, v- neckline, three front buttons closure with GA, pockets on each side and front side pocket on the top. - The size tag is missi...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Blazers$440 Sale Price20% Off
- Giorgio Armani Mens 52 Leather BlazerBy Giorgio ArmaniLocated in Bridgehampton, NYGiorgio Armani Chocolate Leather Jacket 2 Button 2 Waist Pockets/ 1 Chest Pocket Made in Italy Size 52 NEW WITH TAGS- Retails for $3450Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Blazers$1,250 Sale Price40% Off
- Beige snakeskin effect vintage leather jacket, ArmaniBy Giorgio ArmaniLocated in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FRBeige snakeskin effect crossover jacket in vintage leather with Giorgio Armani label, closes with a single button, long flared and open sleeves, pleated back half-basque 291 CAG67P31...Category
Early 2000s Italian Jackets
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery