- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Vintage PACO RABANNE PARIS Space Age Metal Embellish Pocket Jacket
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Kingersheim, France
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
About the Designer
Visionary designer Paco Rabanne first made a name for himself in the 1960s when he introduced dresses, handbags and other clothing and accessories that went against the common sensibilities of the time and challenged the public's perception of what fashion should be. By working with unlikely materials such as paper and Rhodoid — a cellulose acetate plastic often used to line baking pans — Rabanne forced the fashion world to reconsider materials and form.
Rabanne was born Francisco Rabaneda y Cuervo in Spain’s Basque region. His mother was the head seamstress at Balenciaga when she relocated herself and her son to France in 1939 to escape the Spanish Civil War. Once in France, he took on the name Paco Rabanne.
Rabanne studied architecture at the Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Beaux-Arts in Paris but pivoted toward fashion and began to design accessories and costume jewelry. Rabanne collaborated with many acclaimed luxury houses — his early clients included Charles Jourdan, Givenchy, Pierre Cardin and Dior.
By 1966, Rabanne was working on avant-garde designs in his own newly-opened studio. He introduced a couture collection titled “Twelve Unwearable Dresses in Contemporary Materials.” The garments — made of aluminum, plastic and eco-friendly paper and fastened with wire — were unveiled at a show that featured music and models of color (both uncommon characteristics for such an event). Sculptural, sexy and solidly Space Age in appearance, Rabanne’s experiments turned heads. Pop star-actresses Brigitte Bardot and Françoise Hardy would soon be seen in the designer’s iconic metallic dresses, and Rabanne found enthusiasts in the likes of revolutionary couturier Elsa Schiaparelli and art collector Peggy Guggenheim. In 1968 Rabanne designed leather boots and erotically charged dresses made of molded plastic and chain-mail mesh for the science fiction film Barbarella.
Rabanne called Salvador Dalí a close friend and drew on the Surrealist movement in his designs. He continued to use unconventional materials in his work. From aluminum jersey and fur to ostrich feathers and Velcro, everything was suitable for his pioneering garments. And Rabanne’s talents are diverse — his prolific output even includes stylish furniture.
In 1999 Rabanne retired from the fashion business. In 2010 he was named Officer of the Legion d’Honneur by the French culture minister. Today, under the creative direction of French designer Julien Dossena, the Paco Rabanne brand continues to innovate and offer looks that nod to the past as well as the future.
Find vintage Paco Rabanne clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
- Vintage PACO RABANNE Logo Chainmail Metal Harness DressBy Paco RabanneLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage PACO RABANNE Logo Chainmail Metal Harness Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 13.18 inches (33.5 cm) Bust: 17.12 inches (43.5 c...Category
1990s French Cocktail Dresses
- Vintage PACO RABANNE Silver Foil Mesh Sleeveless Top BlouseBy Paco RabanneLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage PACO RABANNE Silver Foil Mesh Sleeveless Top Blouse Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 10.23 inches (26 cm) Bust: 16.14 inches (41 cm) wit...Category
20th Century French Blouses and Tops
- PACO RABANNE Gold Rhodoid Disc Do It Yourself DressBy Paco RabanneLocated in Kingersheim, AlsacePACO RABANNE Gold Rhodoid Disc Do It Yourself Dress SIZE: 36/ 38 (mannequin is size 36) Features: - The discs are in pale gold tone linked with jump rings. - PACO RABANNE metal t...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses
- Vintage PACO RABANNE Logo Metal Disc Space Age BeltBy Paco RabanneLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage PACO RABANNE Logo Metal Disc Space Age Belt Measurements: Buckle Height: 2.59 inches (6.6 cm) Belt Height: 2.16 inches (5.5 cm) Overall Length: 32.28 inches (82 cm) Feature...Category
20th Century French Belts
- Vintage PACO RABANNE Silver Metallic Mesh Grid Long DressBy Paco RabanneLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage PACO RABANNE Silver Metallic Mesh Grid Long Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Bust: 14 inches (35.56 cm) could accommodate bigger size as it ...Category
20th Century French Evening Dresses
- Vintage Iconic PACO RABANNE Logo Square Disc Chainmail Space Age Metal BagBy Paco RabanneLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage Iconic PACO RABANNE Logo Square Disc Chainmail Space Age Metal Bag Measurements: Height: 7.48 inches (19 cm) Width: 9.25 inches (23.5 cm) Depth: 1.37 inches (3.5 cm) Strap: ...Category
20th Century French Shoulder Bags
You May Also Like
21st Century and Contemporary French Coats and Outerwear
Late 20th Century Jackets
1960s French Cropped Jackets
1980s French Jackets
21st Century and Contemporary Portuguese Jackets
2010s French Tank Tops
21st Century and Contemporary Shirts
Early 2000s French Cocktail Dresses
1980s Court Gowns
Featured in Cinema Style
1990s English Corsets
Early 2000s French Brooches
Diamond, Pink Sapphire, White Gold
Antique 19th Century French Louis XVI Mantel Clocks
Antique 19th Century English High Victorian Cabinets
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Jackets
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery