CHRISTIAN DIOR Galliano Diorissimo Flight blue trotter orange tank top FR38 M
About the Item
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
Known for introducing rich theatricality and memorable fashion spectacles to the runway, John Galliano has enjoyed a singular career. The audacious British designer has garnered universal acclaim for genre-breaking collections not only at his eponymous label but also for Givenchy and Christian Dior.
From his embroidered absinthe-green Oscars gown for actress Nicole Kidman to the iconic sleeveless newspaper-print dress that Sex and the City’s Carrie Bradshaw made famous, Galliano’s intricate and multifaceted work is reliably newsworthy, drawing on history as often as it embodies a fresh and forward-looking sensibility, and over the years the designer has helped shape an ever-broadening new legion of enthusiasts for Parisian couture.
Born in Gibraltar but raised in South London by strict Roman Catholic working-class parents, Galliano attended the all-boys Church of England grammar school, where his flamboyance and interest in art attracted the attention of bullies. Eventually, Galliano ended up at the prestigious design and art school Central Saint Martins College (then called Saint Martin’s School of Art), where fellow British designers Stella McCartney and Alexander McQueen also trained.
Galliano flourished at Central Saint Martins. While a student, he worked in the costume department at the National Theatre in London. His graduate collection in 1984, dubbed “Les Incroyables” and named for post–French Revolution fashion lovers, was modeled by close friends of his and earned a standing ovation. The line ended up in the storefront windows of London luxury boutique Brown’s on South Molton Street, and Galliano’s first official collection — after he graduated — debuted at Paris Fashion Week in 1989.
In the early 1990s, Galliano’s relationship with his financial backer, Plein Sud’s Faycal Amor, ended, and by 1994, he was broke and sleeping on the floor of a friend’s apartment. Vogue editor in chief Anna Wintour and then-Vanity Fair editor André Leon Talley stepped in and introduced the budding designer to Portuguese socialite and fashion patron São Schlumberger and others. At Schlumberger’s Hôtel Particulier, Galliano’s shows became the stuff of fashion legend. His collection, a blend of Japanese modernist style as well as nostalgia for Art Deco and 1940s’ tailoring, earned raves in glossy magazines and garnered the attention of Princess Diana, Madonna and other fashion luminaries.
Once the Galliano name was well known among the world’s most stylish set, the chairperson of LVMH, Bernard Arnault, appointed Galliano head designer of French fashion house Givenchy. One year later, in 1996, LVMH moved him to the design team at Dior, where he produced scores of celebrated looks for Dior Haute Couture. Today, Galliano is the creative director of Maison Margiela.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Sha Tin, Hong Kong
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- DOLCE GABBANA Vintage cotton floral lattice lace sheer long sleeve top IT38 XSBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Hong Kong, NTDOLCE GABBANA Vintage black cotton floral lattice lace sheer long sleeve top IT38 XS Reference: GIYG/A00329 Brand: Dolce Gabbana Designer: Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana Material...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Blouses and Tops
- MISHA COLLECTION black polyester blend cross strap cropped top SLocated in Hong Kong, NTMISHA COLLECTION black polyester blend cross strap cropped top S Reference: LNKO/A01027 Brand: Misha Collection Material: Polyester, Spandex Color: Black Pattern: Solid Closure: Hook...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Chinese Crop Tops
- MAISON MARGIELA Vintage silk blend sheer 4 stitches turtleneck bodysuit FR40 LBy MM6 Maison Margiela, Maison Martin MargielaLocated in Hong Kong, NTMAISON MARGIELA Vintage black silk blend sheer 4 stitches turtleneck bodysuit FR40 L Reference: CAWG/A00274 Brand: Maison Margiela Designer: Martin Margiela Material: Silk, Blend Col...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Blouses and Tops
- SAFIYAA black white pleated asymmetrical halter train top black flared pant UK12Located in Hong Kong, NTSAFIYAA black white pleated asymmetrical halter train top black flared pant UK12 Reference: KNLM/A00002 Brand: Safiyaa Material: Polyester, Blend Color: Black, White Pattern: Solid C...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Turkish Blouses and Tops
- DOLCE GABBANA red silk blend darted double button dress shirt IT46 XLBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Hong Kong, NTDOLCE GABBANA red silk blend darted double button dress shirt IT46 XL Reference: GIYG/A00344 Brand: Dolce Gabbana Designer: Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana Material: Silk, Blend C...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Shirts
- LANVIN black asymmetric draped bust scoop neck sleeveless tank top FR32 XXSBy Alber Elbaz, Lanvin ParisLocated in Hong Kong, NTLANVIN black asymmetric draped bust scoop neck sleeveless tank top FR32 XXS Reference: SNKO/A00230 Brand: Lanvin Designer: Alber Elbaz Material: Viscose Color: Black Pattern: Solid C...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Indian Tank Tops
- Circa 2001 Gianfranco Ferre Black Leather Asymmetrical Bustier Crop TopBy Gianfranco FerréLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: Circa 2001 Gianfranco Ferre CONDITION: Good- some staining to ivory leather inside FABRIC: Leather COUNTRY MADE: Italy SIZE...Category
Early 2000s Italian Bustiers
- Vintage 1991 Dolce & Gabbana Red Crystal Pin-Up Bra Crop TopBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: 1991 Dolce & Gabbana CONDITION: Good FABRIC: Spandex blend COUNTRY MADE: Italy SIZE: 42 MEASUREMENTS; provided as a courte...Category
1990s Italian Bustiers
- Vintage C. 1991 Gianni Versace Fully Beaded Silk Off Shoulder Jacket TopBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: Circa 1991 Gianni Versace CONDITION: Good- no holes or stains, may have minor bead loss FABRIC: Fully beaded silk...Category
1990s Italian Jackets
- S/S 2003 Christian Dior John Galliano Ivory Bodycon Tube Top Skirt Jacket SetBy John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: S/S 2003 Christian Dior by John Galliano CONDITION: Good- to just look at it looks pristine- there are 2 extremely faint do...Category
Early 2000s French Cocktail Dresses
- Vintage 1994 Gucci by Tom Ford Black Velvet Turtleneck Sleek Bodysuit Top LBy Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: 1994 Gucci by Tom Ford CONDITION: Good- picture of label shows the size S we have but the L is identical FABRIC: Spandex bl...Category
1990s Italian Bodices
- S/S 2002 Gianfranco Ferre Runway Sheer Nude Embellished Moroccan Bodysuit TopBy Gianfranco FerréLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: S/S 2002 Gianfranco Ferre Runway CONDITION: Excellent- any marks you see are on the mannequin not the bodysuit- no size or ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Bodysuits
Recently ViewedView All
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery