Givenchy Embroidered Denim Shirt
View Similar Items
Givenchy Embroidered Denim Shirt
About the Designer
Venerated French designer Hubert de Givenchy (1927–2018) made a splash with his first collection of mix-and-match separates in 1952, which launched his namesake fashion house, the clean lines and refined silhouettes of the pieces offering a contrast to the more structured shapes then dominating postwar women’s fashion. His roster of clients would eventually include Grace Kelly, Elizabeth Taylor and Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, all of whom were drawn to the designer’s architecturally and materially simple pieces that combined sensual femininity with elegance.
At the age of 17, Givenchy left his hometown of Beauvais, France, for Paris. There he studied drawing at the École Nationale Supérieure des Beaux-Arts and apprenticed for the houses of Jacques Fath, Robert Piguet, Lucien Lelong and Elsa Schiaparelli. Givenchy earned his first high praise for the 1952 Bettina blouse, an embroidered, ruffle-sleeve linen shirt named for his publicist and model Bettina Graziani. The Givenchy label soon developed a following of fashion icons around the world, most notably Audrey Hepburn, who would serve as Givenchy’s muse for decades after they met in 1953. The couturier created pieces for many of her films, such as the iconic little black dress in Breakfast at Tiffany’s (1961), as well as her personal life, including her wedding dress for her 1969 marriage to Andrea Dotti.
Givenchy formed a close friendship with his idol and mentor, Spanish designer Cristóbal Balenciaga, with whom he’d popularize such pieces as the sack dress, choosing looser forms over tailored ones. Throughout the decades, Givenchy expanded his empire to include fragrances, menswear, accessories and beauty lines.
In 1988, his house was acquired by luxury conglomerate LVMH. After Givenchy retired from fashion in 1995, he became an antiques expert, working with Christie’s and the Louvre, among other institutions. The brand then saw an impressive succession of head designers and artistic directors: John Galliano was the first to arrive, followed by Alexander McQueen, Julien Macdonald, Riccardo Tisci, Clare Waight Keller and Matthew M. Williams. Today, the brand, with its timeless fashions, continues to be a favorite of A-listers, including Cate Blanchett, Erykah Badu, Lady Gaga and Ariana Grande.
- Ulysse Nardin Diver Black Sea 46MM Steel And Rubber WatchBy Ulysse NardinLocated in London, GBThis ‘Diver Black Sea' 46mm timepiece by Ulysse Nardin has been crafted at the brand's Swiss atelier from steel with an intricate automatic movement and ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Cocktail Dresses
- Bvlgari Octo Verlcissimo 42MM Stainless Steel And Alligator WatchBy BvlgariLocated in London, GBThis ‘Octo Verlcissimo' 42mm timepiece by Bvlgari has been crafted at the brand's Swiss atelier from stainless steel with an intricate automatic movement...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Valentino Garavani T.B.C. Braided Fringe Shoulder BagBy ValentinoLocated in London, GBValentino Garavani pebbled leather shoulder bag with braided fringe trim. Flap top with double snaps. Interior leather lining. One zip pocket. Black leather. Made in Italy. Does not...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags
- Hermès 2015 Barda 30cm Matte Niloticus Crocodile Shoulder BagBy HermèsLocated in London, GBHermès 2015 Barda 30cm matte niloticus crocodile leather bag. Made in France, this beautiful 2015 Hermès ‘Barda’ shoulder bag has been made from brown-...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Structured Shoulder Bags
- Stark Snake Effect Leather Box ClutchLocated in London, GBStark snake effect leather box clutch. Made from khaki-green snake-effect leather and gold-tone hardware, it has a large internal compartment. Green. Push lock fastening at top. Come...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Clutches
- Valentino Garavani Two Tone Embroidered Canvas And Leather Bag StrapBy ValentinoLocated in London, GBValentino Garavani two-tone embroidered canvas and leather bag strap. Black and white. Lobster clasp fastening at base. Does not come with box or dustbag. Max. Length: 51 in. Min. Le...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Belt Bags
- Christian Dior Navy Blue Iconic Logo Tank Top Tank Top T-ShirtBy Christian DiorLocated in Hoffman Estates, ILChristian Dior navy blue logo tank top T-Shirt.Category
21st Century and Contemporary French T-Shirts$999 Sale Price20% Off
- New Gucci Heart and Beach Ball Print Navy Silk Halter TopBy GucciLocated in San Francisco, CAGucci blue and red heart print silk top with beach ball print accent at neck. Deep V neck at front and slit at back with buttons at back neck. Scarf detail can be left open or tied h...Category
2010s Italian Blouses and Tops
- Moschino Couture 1980s Dove Top White and Silver Sequin on Navy T-shirtBy MoschinoLocated in San Francisco, CAVintage Moschino Couture 1980s dark navy (almost black) short sleeve blouse with cream, white, silver and gold sequin and bead dove at front. Pull on style with no closures. 55% a...Category
1980s Italian Blouses and Tops
- Prada Palm Tree Print Black Silk TopBy PradaLocated in San Francisco, CAPrada black silk top with fuschia and teal palm tree print. Lace trim ruffle cascading down front. Short sleeves, tie neck. 100% silk. Size IT 42,...Category
Early 2000s Italian Blouses and Tops
- Dolce & Gabbana Black and Purple Silk Floral Tulip Print Cropped Jacket BoleroBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in San Francisco, CADolce & Gabbana black and purplish floral tulip print silk cropped bolero with bow detail at front, wide sleeves. Fastens at front with two hidden snap closures. 100% silk. Lined i...Category
2010s Italian Bolero Jackets
- Stephen Sprouse 1980s Black Silk Button Up BlouseBy Stephen SprouseLocated in San Francisco, CASprouse by Stephen Sprouse black silk long sleeve blouse with round neck, button front, and long sleeves. Princess seam detail at front and back creates a tailored shape. 100% silk...Category
1980s South Korean Blouses and Tops
Recently ViewedView All
Fiercely Fabulous, This Givenchy Tiger-Print Coat Graced the Pages of ‘Vogue’ in 1969
Impeccably tailored and beautifully preserved, the piece will be cherished by a true fashion-phile.
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.