- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Jean Paul Gaultier Vintage Japanese Women Face People Mesh T-shirt Top Cardigan
About the Item
Jean Paul Gaultier
Endeavoring to tear down gender stereotypes and sartorial norms on the catwalk, making underwear outerwear, putting men in skirts and models of all shapes and sizes on the runway, the wildly provocative French fashion designer Jean Paul Gaultier has created transformational clothing designs that draw on numerous influences and boldly merge haute couture with street sensibility.
An only child raised in the suburbs of Paris, Gaultier didn’t have a formal fashion education. But he loved to sketch and was drawn to clothing, citing the corsets in his maternal grandmother’s closet as having a formative impact on his creative direction. He’s said that some of his earliest fashion work was for his teddy bear, and later he would send his sketches to designers he revered, including Pierre Cardin.
Gaultier began his career in 1970 as an assistant to Cardin, who admired the sketches the 18-year-old had sent for his appraisal. After Gaultier had his first runway show in 1976, featuring unconventional statements like pairing motorcycle jackets with ballerina skirts, it didn’t take long for his star to rise. His playful but exquisitely crafted reimaginings of classic Parisian styles — the striped mariner shirt, the trench coat — soon became recurring themes of Gaultier’s eponymous house, which he founded with his life partner and business associate Francis Menuge in 1982. “He was absolutely peerless for the longest time in the late ’80s and early ’90s,” fashion editor Tim Blanks told the New York Times. This was the period of Gaultier’s most iconic designs.
In 1984, Gaultier’s “Boy Toy” collection challenged men’s fashion with striped shirts and skirts — and sold around 3,000 of them. He was hailed for spectacle-laden runway shows and superb tailoring. Gaultier began to work with Madonna during the late 1980s, and, at the pop star’s request, he designed the costumes for her 1990 “Blond Ambition” tour. Her pink corset became a cultural touchstone of the era.
Gaultier continued to expand his brand, debuting his first couture collection in 1997 and creating costumes for film and stage. He was nominated for a César Award for Best Costume Design for The City of Lost Children (1995) and then a second for Luc Besson’s The Fifth Element (1997).
From 2003 to 2010, Gaultier was the creative director for Hermès. The first international exhibition of his work, “The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk,” debuted in 2011 at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and toured to cities including Stockholm, New York City, Dallas and London. He presented his last ready-to-wear collection in 2014 and in 2020 stepped down from his couture line, ending his boundary-pushing, industry-shaping reign with a raucous show of more than 230 outfits formed from fragments of collections from across his 50-year career.
One of fashion’s enfants terribles, Gaultier has never sought out pretty for pretty’s sake. Instead, he has challenged the traditional ideals of beauty. Today, the designer's vintage clothing designs — experimental undergarments cut from lace and suede, leather-trimmed evening dresses and jackets of denim, plastic or striped jersey — are as punk as they are high fashion.
Browse a wide range of Jean Paul Gaultier clothing and accessories today on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: PARIS, France
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Jean Paul GAULTIER 1994 Japanese Letter Text Junior Symbol Couture Wrap DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in PARIS, FRThis vintage Jean Paul Gaultier dress is from the Spring Summer 1994 collection, one of his most referenced collection. The front is transparent. There is a clips on the front to ...Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses
- Jean Paul Gaultier Tartan Checked Striped Red Mesh Transparent Shirt Tee TopBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in PARIS, FRMotorcycle mesh top by Jean Paul Gaultier! EXCELLENT condition! Transparent ! :) Jean Paul Gaultier tab on the back. SIZE Women: fits from medium to large. Men: fits from XS mediu...Category
Early 2000s Italian T-Shirts
- Jean Paul Gaultier Too Wild To Live Too Young To Die Paris JPG Sweater PulloverBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in PARIS, FRThis vintage Jean Paul Gaultier pullover is from Gaultier`s early years. VERY GOOD condition! There is a few reparation (sewing), but these are not noticable when you wear it! SIZE ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Pullovers
- Jean Paul Gaultier Jeans Vintage Face Jacquard Denim Punk 1992 Fight Racism VestBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in PARIS, FRFace Jacquard Vest by Jean Paul Gaultie from the iconic 1992 Autumn / Winter collection! This vest features : - Front button fastening. - Front pockets. - Adjustable back half-belt...Category
Early 2000s Italian Blouses and Tops
- Jean Paul Gaultier Silver Chain Lace Up Black Semi Sheer T-shirt Tee TopBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in PARIS, FRChain top by Jean Paul Gaultier! The NBA star Dwyane Wade`s wife, Gabrielle Union worn the same dress on her husband`s 40th birthday. Check the last photo. EXCELLENT Condition! SI...Category
Early 2000s Italian Blouses and Tops
- Jean Paul Gaultier Paisley Japanese Text Symbol Vintage Turtleneck Runway TopBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in PARIS, FRPaisley (Persian motif) mesh top by Jean Paul Gaultier! Transparent. EXCELLENT Condition! SIZE: it fits from XS to medium (marked size: S). Extremly stretchy fabric! Length: 64 ...Category
Early 2000s Italian T-Shirts
- Fall 2000 Dior by John Galliano Openwork Oversized SweaterBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Prague, CZA stunning sweater with silver PVC thread, very delicate yet warm! Size label is missing, however its so oversized that can be worn by a variety of sizes from Small to X-Large. Ver...Category
Early 2000s Pullovers
- Roberto Cavalli F/W 2001 distressed silk/denim coatBy Roberto CavalliLocated in Rome, ITRoberto Cavalli long bleached denim coat with distressed green silk outer layer from the Fall/Winter 2001 collection (seen on both campaign and runway show). Corset structured, front...Category
Early 2000s Italian Coats
- Vintage 2005 Versace Couture Runway Hot Pink Beaded Stretch Silk High-Low GownBy Donatella Versace for Gianni Versace, VersaceLocated in Beverly Hills, CAAn absolutely gorgeous spring-summer 2005 Versace runway documented hot-pink gown that originally retailed for over $20,000. Versace is one of the world's leading international fashi...Category
Early 2000s Italian Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- FW 2005 Roberto Cavalli ICONIC RUNWAY Gustav Klimt Print DressBy Roberto CavalliLocated in São Paulo, SPICONIC ARCHIVE Roberto Cavalli Gustav Klimt Art Noveau Print Dress from the FW 2005 RUNWAY (Look 44)! Beaded belt included. Pleated sleeves with band to wrap around wrists Plunging ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Dresses
- New Jean Paul Gaultier S/S 2021 "Cyberbaba" Print Sheer Mesh Bodycon Maxi DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Fort Myers, FLJean Paul Gaultier S/S 2021 Reissue Unworn Les Marins Sheer Tattoo Print "Cyberbaba" Mesh Bodycon Maxi Dress Size XS Jean Paul Gaultier reissue from the Iconic S/S 1996 "Cyberbaba...Category
2010s Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Jean Paul Gaultier c. 1980 Vintage Clueless Crop TopBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Fort Myers, FLJean Paul Gaultier c. 1980 Vintage Clueless Crop Top IT 44Category
- Jean Paul Gaultier 1990's Vintage Eyelet Red Bralette Bra Crop TopBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Fort Myers, FLJean Paul Gaultier 1990's Vintage Eyelet Red Bralette Bra Crop Top Size MCategory
- Jean Paul Gaultier Soleil S/S 1999 Vintage Unworn Venus De Milo Mesh Sheer TopBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Fort Myers, FLJean Paul Gaultier Soleil S/S 1999 Vintage Unworn Venus De Milo Mesh Sheer Top Size MCategory
- Jean Paul Gaultier F/W 1995 Runway Iconic Cyber Dots Sheer TopBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Fort Myers, FLJean Paul Gaultier F/W 1995 Runway Iconic Cyber Dots Sheer Top Excellent Condition! Please note size tag has been removed but the material is very stretchy and will best fit size X...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Shirts
- Jean Paul Gaultier S/S 2006 Runway Sheer Black Bustier Corset Lace Up TopBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Fort Myers, FLJean Paul Gaultier S/S 2006 Runway Sheer Black Bustier Corset Lace Up Top IT 42 Look 46 from the Spring 2006 Collection.Category
Early 2000s Bustiers
- Jean Paul Gaultier Vintage S/S1991 Cone Bra Bustier Sheer Side Panels Corset TopBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Fort Myers, FLJean Paul Gaultier Vintage S/S 1991 Cone Bra Bustier Sheer Side Panels Corset Top IT 42Category
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery