- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Maison Margiela S/S2020 Fish-Net Sleeveless Shirt
About the Item
- Dimensions:Length: 39.77 in (101 cm)Marked Size: OS (EU)Bust: 33.08 in (84 cm)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Tương Mai Ward, VN
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU2651218180472
Maison Martin Margiela
Belgian designer Martin Margiela (b. 1957) — whose life, career, clothing designs and vintage shoes have become cult-collector obsessions — pushed those who attended his shows outside their comfort zones. In the years following his maison's 1988 debut, he toyed with creative and aesthetic paradoxes that persist in fashion today.
Consider the Spring/Summer 2001 shirt patchworked from vintage clothing labels, or his famous corset dresses made from tailoring dummies, from his Fall/Winter 1997 line. Or his oversize collection for Fall/Winter 2000. In 1992, Margiela told Dépêche Mode magazine, “My clothes appeal to women of a certain mindset rather than of a specific age or physique.”
Born in Genk, Belgium, in 1957, Margiela knew he wanted to be a fashion designer after catching glimpses of Parisian fashion on TV as a child. Although his parents discouraged this career choice as an oddly funny aspiration, Margiela enrolled in the fashion program of the Royal Academy of Fine Arts Antwerp. There, he befriended and graduated a year ahead of the Antwerp Six — the acclaimed group of Belgian fashion designers comprising Dries Van Noten, Walter Van Beirendonck, Ann Demeulemeester, Marina Yee, Dirk Bikkembergs and Dirk Van Saene.
Like many of his contemporaries in the 1980s, Margiela understood Paris fashion but felt a deep resonance with the deconstructed beauty espoused by Japanese designers Yohji Yamamoto and Rei Kawakubo, of Comme des Garçons. Margiela’s fascination with Japan influenced many of his earliest collections and designs, from a dress pieced together from broken plates to his iconic Tabi boots, inspired by the split-toe Japanese worker’s shoe, which dates back to the 15th century. He decided to launch his own line while working for renowned Paris designer Jean Paul Gaultier.
Margiela, Gaultier has often stated, was his best assistant. Even then, the 2019 film Martin Margiela: In His Own Words suggests, he was acutely aware of the widening gulf between the art and the business of fashion.
Margiela’s debut show was nothing short of spectacular. Set in a packed Café de la Gare in the still-seedy Marais district, it was also scandalous to the Parisian fashion set of the time. The designer tore up the conventions of contemporary couture presentations, most notably having his models, plucked from the streets and wearing ink-blotted Tabis, wend their way through the crowd. The show redefined the concept of the runway in a way that would later inspire such designers as Alexander McQueen and Demna Gvasalia.
While the notoriously private designer retired from fashion in 2009, for many Maison Martin Margiela collectors, his pieces capture the irreverence of the postwar, post-punk late 1980s and ’90s. Katy Rodriguez, cofounder of the cult vintage fashion shop Resurrection, is among those who felt a connection to Margiela’s clothing in the subliminal challenges it posed to the time’s beauty norms.
“Growing up in San Francisco and coming out of the end of punk rock, not wanting to be objectified, not wanting to be seen as a sexual object, not wanting your value to be just because you’re pretty — all those clothes played into all of that,” she says. “It really was a reflection of the kind of world the young people I knew at the time wanted to live in.”
Find vintage Maison Martin Margiela boots, evening dresses, jackets and more on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Ha Noi, Vietnam
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Maison Martin Margiela Cosmos Maid Oversize T-Shirt, Autumn Winter 2018By Maison Martin MargielaLocated in Tương Mai Ward, Hoang Mai DistrictWhite tag, the piece was part of A/W2018, a collection by Galliano where everything is oversized. Size on tag: S, fits up to XL Condition: Near mint, no significant signs of usage ...Category
2010s French T-Shirts
- Maison Martin Margiela "This Is My Suit" T-Shirt, Spring Summer 2008By Maison Martin MargielaLocated in Tương Mai Ward, Hoang Mai DistrictVery iconic piece from Margiela, and perhaps the rarest colorway. Size on tag: 48 Condition: 9/10. No significant signs of usage, wrinkles due to storage. Feels free to message me...Category
Early 2000s French T-Shirts$320 Sale Price20% Off
- Ganryu Pattern Clashing Uneven Shirt, Spring Summer 2012By COMME des GARCONS GANRYU, Comme des GarçonsLocated in Tương Mai Ward, Hoang Mai DistrictBefore Ganryu leaving the CdG universe, like many others Rei Kawakubo students his designs are largely influenced by Rei. Size on tag: S, fits slight boxy. Condition: 9/10. Worn 4 ...Category
2010s Japanese T-Shirts
- Wales Bonner Buddha Mandarin Collar Shirt, Spring Summer 2019Located in Tương Mai Ward, Hoang Mai DistrictFamously known for her thoughtful, culture-centered and highly pedagocical designs. S/S2019 by Wales Bonner was a collection dedicated to meditation an...Category
2010s British Blousons
- CAV EMPT Structures Big Shirt in YellowLocated in Tương Mai Ward, Hoang Mai DistrictCould be worn as a shirt or a jacket. Size on tag: XL Condition: Basically new without tag, tried on once. Feels free to message me with any questions regarding inquiries.Category
2010s Japanese Blousons
- Raf Simons Oversized Bondage Shirt with Neck Straps, Spring Summer 2017By Raf SimonsLocated in Tương Mai Ward, Hoang Mai DistrictFrom S/S2017: "Sadomasochism", by Raf Simons in collaboration with Robert Mapplethorpe. The shirt is influenced by 1970's homosexual night club in New York, with a leather strap aro...Category
2010s French Blousons
- 1992 Martin Margiela Artisanal Scarf Tie TopBy Martin Margiella, Maison Martin MargielaLocated in Austin, TX1992 Martin Margiela Artisanal Scarf Tie Top Condition: good, some wear one sizeCategory
1990s Unknown Shirts
- 2009 Martin Margiela Mirrored Backless Tuxedo VestBy Maison Martin MargielaLocated in Austin, TX2009 S/S MARTIN MARGIELA MIRRORED TUXEDO VEST 2009 designed by Martin Margiela. Condition:Excellent SZ S/ US 4 / IT 40Category
Early 2000s Unknown Shirts
- Maison Martin Margiela Draped Jersey TopBy Maison Martin MargielaLocated in Oakland, CAMaison Martin Margiela Pale Pink top. Longer tunic length. Draped shoulder to back. Stretchy jersey hugs hips. Exaggerated sleeve length.Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Tunics
- Maison Martin Margiela Sweater size LBy Maison Martin MargielaLocated in Gazzaniga (BG), ITCotton Pink color Suede patches Long sleeves Round neck Maximum length cm 62 (2440 inches)Category
2010s Italian Blousons
- Maison Martin Margiela Extra Long TopBy Maison Martin MargielaLocated in Laguna Beach, CAThis khaki-colored extra long cozy top comes to you from Maison Martin Margiela. It can be worn as a dress or tunic-style.Category
Early 2000s Italian Tunics$197 Sale Price50% Off
- Maison Martin Margiela Artisanal Reworked Halter TopBy Maison Martin MargielaLocated in Laguna Beach, CABlack stretch twist back top with a draped neck reworked from a button-up blouse from the Iconic MAISON MARTIN MARGIELA ARTISANAL C...Category
Early 2000s French Blouses and Tops$325 Sale Price50% Off
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery