- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Vintage F/W 1997 Christian Dior by John Galliano Peach Satin Lace Bows Cami Top
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: F-38 (EU)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:No flaws!
- Seller Location:Yukon, OK
- Reference Number:Seller: 2753893158621stDibs: LU406216640292
John Galliano for Christian Dior
Known for introducing rich theatricality and memorable fashion spectacles to the runway, John Galliano has enjoyed a singular career. The audacious British designer has garnered universal acclaim for genre-breaking collections not only at his eponymous label but also for Christian Dior.
From his embroidered absinthe-green Oscars gown for actress Nicole Kidman to the iconic sleeveless newspaper-print dress that Sex and the City’s Carrie Bradshaw made famous, Galliano’s intricate and multifaceted work is reliably newsworthy, drawing on history as often as it embodies a fresh and forward-looking sensibility, and over the years the designer has helped shape an ever-broadening new legion of enthusiasts for Parisian couture.
Born in Gibraltar but raised in South London by strict Roman Catholic working-class parents, Galliano attended the all-boys Church of England grammar school, where his flamboyance and interest in art attracted the attention of bullies. Eventually, Galliano ended up at the prestigious design and art school Central Saint Martins College (then called Saint Martin’s School of Art), where fellow British designers Stella McCartney and Alexander McQueen also trained.
Galliano flourished at Central Saint Martins. While a student, he worked in the costume department at the National Theatre in London. His graduate collection in 1984, dubbed “Les Incroyables” and named for post–French Revolution fashion lovers, was modeled by close friends of his and earned a standing ovation. The line ended up in the storefront windows of London luxury boutique Brown’s on South Molton Street, and Galliano’s first official collection — after he graduated — debuted at Paris Fashion Week in 1989.
In the early 1990s, Galliano’s relationship with his financial backer, Plein Sud’s Faycal Amor, ended, and by 1994, he was broke and sleeping on the floor of a friend’s apartment. Vogue editor in chief Anna Wintour and then-Vanity Fair editor André Leon Talley stepped in and introduced the budding designer to Portuguese socialite and fashion patron São Schlumberger and others. At Schlumberger’s Hôtel Particulier, Galliano’s shows became the stuff of fashion legend. His collection, a blend of Japanese modernist style as well as nostalgia for Art Deco and 1940s’ tailoring, earned raves in glossy magazines and garnered the attention of Princess Diana, Madonna and other fashion luminaries.
Once the Galliano name was well known among the world’s most stylish set, the chairperson of LVMH, Bernard Arnault, appointed Galliano head designer of French fashion house Givenchy. One year later, in 1996, LVMH moved him to the design team at Dior. In just eight weeks, Galliano produced 50 looks for Dior Haute Couture’s brilliant Spring/Summer 1997 Maasai collection and would ultimately design a mind-boggling eight collections a year for the storied French fashion house until 2011. Today, Galliano is the creative director of Maison Margiela.
Shop vintage and contemporary John Galliano for Christian Dior evening dresses and gowns, shoes, handbags and other clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
On 1stDibs, find an exquisite range of vintage Christian Dior clothing, jewelry, handbags and other items.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Yukon, OK
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- S/S 1995 Dolce & Gabbana Sheer White Knit High Waist Pants & Crop Top JumpsuitBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Yukon, OKDESIGNER: S/S 1995 Dolce & Gabbana Please contact for more information and/or photos. CONDITION: Good- very minor wear, labels and tags removed, still has Dolce & Gabbana hardware....Category
1990s Italian Jumpsuits
- 1997 Gucci Tom Ford Black Knit Bra Crop Top & Sheer Brown Panel Long Skirt SetBy Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in Yukon, OKDESIGNER: 1997 Gucci by Tom Ford CONDITION: Skirt is flawless- top has one tiny imperfection- please see last photo. FABRIC: Skirt is a rayon blend- top is a very stretchy rayon ble...Category
1990s Italian Crop Tops
- S/S 2001 Gucci Tom Ford Runway Black Cut-Out Crop Tank TopBy Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in Yukon, OKDESIGNER: S/S 2001 Gucci by Tom Ford CONDITION: Good- flawless! Main label is missing FABRIC: Cotton & Spandex COUNTRY MADE: Italy SIZE: Unknown MEASUREMENTS; provided as a courtesy ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Crop Tops
- 1999 Jean Paul Gaultier Sheer Black Mesh Fragile Crop Top & Wiggle Skirt SetBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Yukon, OKDESIGNER: 1999 Jean Paul Gaultier CONDITION: Good- There is a tiny imperfection on one of the ties on the top, very minor, won't be seen. COUNTRY MADE: Italy FABRIC: Nylon SIZE: Unk...Category
1990s Italian Crop Tops
- Vintage 1992 Gianni Versace Atelier Print Gold Studded Bodysuit Top 42By Gianni VersaceLocated in Yukon, OKDESIGNER: 1992 Gianni Versace CONDITION: Excellent FABRIC: Cotton/Spandex blend COUNTRY MADE: Italy SIZE: 42- runs small with stretch MEASUREMENTS; provided as a courtesy only- not a...Category
1990s Italian Bodysuits
- 1991 Atelier Versace by Gianni Pink Black Yellow Print Bow Bodysuit TopBy Gianni Versace, Atelier VersaceLocated in Yukon, OKDESIGNER: 1991 Atelier Versace by Gianni Versace CONDITION: Pristine- looks and feels unworn! FABRIC: Unknown- feels like nylon & spandex COUNTRY MADE: Italy SIZE: none as it is haut...Category
1990s Italian Bodysuits
- Vintage 1995 CHANEL Playing Cards Print CC Logo Button Silk TopBy Chanel Boutique, ChanelLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage 1995 CHANEL Playing Cards Print CC Logo Button Silk Top Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 14.56...Category
1990s French Blouses
- NEW Gucci Exotic Python Snake Skin Mat Leather Top Shirt Blouse 42By GucciLocated in Switzerland, CHA very special piece by GUCCI From Gucci's special exotic skins collection Such an elegant, sophisticated and classy piece that works with everything - so versatile Shirt top made ou...Category
2010s Italian Shirts$1,079 Sale Price40% Off
- Krizia Vintage Embroidered ShirtBy KriziaLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireA beautiful vintage womens Krizia shirt in a khaki colour with ornate embroidery down one of the sides, adding a bohemian touch to an otherwise minimalist blouse. Size: fits like a...Category
1990s Italian Blouses and Tops
- Pancaldi & B Vintage Mens Loud Print Shirt, 1980sBy PancaldiLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireSize: Marked Small Chest - 40” / 101cm (has a loose fit on the chest) Waist - 38” / 96cm Length (Shoulder to Hem) -28” / 71cm Shoulder to Shoulder - 17” / 43cm Sleeve Pit to Cuff - 6” / 15cm Sleeve Shoulder to Cuff - 11” / 28cm Condition: Excellent Vintage Condition - No noticeable stains, tears or holes. An amazing vintage mens shirt...Category
1990s Italian Blouses and Tops
- Burberry Brit Women S Beige Nova Check Classic Long Sleeve Button Down Shirt 125By BurberryLocated in Dix hills, NYMade In: Thailand Measurements: Length: 18" Width: .2" Height: 25.5" Size: Small Womens OVERALL GOOD CONDITION ( 7/10 or B ) Size: Small Womens Shoulders: 14.5" Pit to Pit: 18"...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Blouses and Tops
- Rare "Hula Girls" Diamond Head Hawaiian shirtLocated in New York, NYRare "Hula Girls" along with Hawaii's state flower and also their state's fruit, the "Pineapple" throughout the shirt. With imprinted words of "Waikik, Diamo...Category
1950s Blouses and TopsPrice Upon Request
- Isamu Kenmochi Coffee TableBy Isamu KenmochiLocated in San Francisco, CAA coffee table by Isamu Kenmochi in bent Brazilian rosewood with curved legs. Signed with applied manufacturer's label to underside: [Tendo]. Literature: Japanese Modern, Mori, pg. 143.Category
Vintage 1960s Japanese Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
RosewoodPrice Upon Request
- Hermes Birkin 30 Orange Crocodile Bag Palladium HardwareBy HermèsLocated in Miami, FLMightychic offers a Niloticus Crocodile Hermes Birkin 30 bag featured in Orange. Fresh palladium hardware accentuates this gorgeous orange crocodile H...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Top Handle Bags
- 21st Century Le Nuvole Sofà White S. Giobbi for Giovannetti CollezioniLocated in Casalguidi, ITSeat and backrest with wooden structure in multilayers and stell- Seat and backrest padding in polyurethane foam of different layers covered with tissue and synthetic fiber for bette...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Modern SofasMaterials
- GLASS SHELVES #1 '1976', by Shiro Kuramata for Glas ItaliaBy Glas Italia, Shiro KuramataLocated in Macherio, ITGlass Shelves #1 (1976) Shelves is shown here in the transparent glass. Bookcase characterised by the extraordinary formal cleanness and the golden proportions, entirely realized in ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Modern ShelvesMaterials
- Vintage Solitaire Cushion Shape Old Mine Diamond Ring, French, circa 1950Located in London, GBVintage solitaire cushion shape old mine diamond ring. Set with one central cushion shape old mine diamond, M colour, VS2 clarity, with an approximate weight of 3.01 carats, in an op...Category
Vintage 1950s French Solitaire RingsMaterials
Diamond, White Gold, Yellow Gold$46,278Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView More
How John Galliano Caused Fashion Chaos around the Globe
The visionary designer epitomizes the pleasures and perils of irrepressible creative genius.
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery