VIVIENNE WESTWOOD black velvet corset, c. 1990s
About the Item
- Dimensions:Length: 15.75 in (40 cm)Marked Size: 10 (UK)Bust: 14.97 in (38 cm)Waist: 10.24 in (26 cm)
- Style:1990 (Of the Period)
- Place of Origin:
- Seller Location:Genève, CH
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU2663215422312
For someone who regularly swats away the industry that made her, audacious British fashion designer Dame Vivienne Westwood certainly knows her way around a garment. And she knows how to provoke. “I don’t follow fashion,” Westwood once told the New York Times. “I’ve never been interested in it.”
Westwood was born Vivienne Isabel Swire in a village in Derbyshire, in central England, but moved to London as a teen. In the early 1960s, she began to make her own jewelry and met an artist, activist and entrepreneur named Malcolm McLaren. They became involved romantically and she made clothes for him in the style of the Teddy Boys — the city’s music-crazed, occasionally violent teenagers at the time who wore high-waisted trousers and tailored velvet blazers that drew on Edwardian-era fashions.
Westwood and McLaren opened a vintage shop on King’s Road in London in 1971. The flared denim and peasant blouses of the 1960s, then still popular with the “peace and love” set, didn’t hold any weight for Westwood. Instead, she was interested in provocative, edgy apparel. She repaired used clothing and endeavored to create bold new designs from scratch.
Together Westwood and McLaren sold older rock-and-roll records, customized T-shirts with antiestablishment slogans, biker jackets and snug trousers inspired by the Marlon Brando film The Wild One as well as bondage fetish wear. The shop, once called Let It Rock and then Too Fast to Live, Too Young to Die before Sex became a more appropriate moniker, evolved into a youth mecca. The DIY garments — zippered tops, burnt tees emblazoned with anarchist messages — flew off the shelves. More notably, it brought punk to the masses. Westwood was soon dressing the Sex Pistols, a band that McLaren managed, all the while bridging the gap between music and fashion in a manner that has reverberated throughout the industry for decades.
In 1981, the couple’s first fashion show marked the debut of their Pirate collection — a swashbuckler-themed line that sprang from Westwood’s research into Indigenous Americans and the “power garments” of the Louis XIV era. The collection’s ample proportions and cutting-edge tailoring countered punk’s geometry and tight latex fits as well as what rocker Adam Ant called the “Puritanism” that plagued England at the time. The Pirate collection’s enduring influence on the world of fashion as well as the theatrical work of designers such as John Galliano and Alexander McQueen is undeniable.
The self-taught Westwood enjoyed a rapid ascent in fashion, with British society embracing her looks and Vogue immortalizing them in its glossy pages. She’s dressed Kate Moss and Helena Bonham Carter, and a wedding dress that she created is featured in 2008’s Sex and the City film.
Today, the fires of political and environmental activism burn brightly for Westwood: She is a Greenpeace ambassador, having designed the organization’s official “Save the Arctic” logo; her clothing brand is committed to using recycled canvas and other eco-friendly materials in the production process; and in 2020, she protested the extradition of Julian Assange by suspending herself in a bird cage outside London’s Old Bailey court. But she will always be the grande dame of British design.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Barcelona, Spain
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- KENZO FW 1992 black silk Bustier NEW with tagBy Kenzo Paris, Kenzo TakadaLocated in Genève, CHKenzo black satin corset bustier with structured bust is from the last collection designed by Kenzo Takada himself. New conditions. - 7 fabric buttons fastening - Fully lined - 67% Acetate / 33% Silk - FW...Category
1990s French Bustiers
- CHRISTIAN DIOR Silk camisole top, c. 2000sBy Christian DiorLocated in Genève, CHChristian Dior cami top, John Galliano area - Closed by twelve fabric buttons - Black lace embellished neckline - Made in Italy - Circa 1999-2009 ...Category
Early 2000s French Camisoles
- JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Maille turquoise mesh shirt Y2KBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Genève, CHJean-Paul Gaultier semi-sheer mesh top -Maille Femme collection -Made in Italy -Circa 1995-2005 -100% Polyamid -Estimated size: 36 FR to 40 FR (marke...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French T-Shirts
- Colllector JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Asian mesh shirtBy Jean Paul Gaultier, Jean Paul Gaultier SoleilLocated in Genève, CHRare Jean Paul Gaultier Early 00s mesh T-Shirt with vibrant Asian print, as seen on Beyoncé for InStyle Magazine (May 2003) shot by Fabrizio Ferri....Category
21st Century and Contemporary French T-Shirts
- KENZO JUNGLE Koi fish mesh Club Kid Shirt, late 1990sBy Kenzo Jungle, KenzoLocated in Genève, CH1990's Kenzo Jeans sheer stretch t-shirt with lovely Japanese theme print in a wonderful turquoise. Fabric is a sheer nylon stretch mesh, the kind that Gaultier made famous, and come...Category
1990s French T-Shirts
- Vintage Yves Saint Laurent Tom Ford Bell Sleeve Shirt TopBy Yves Saint Laurent, Tom Ford for Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Oakland, CAThis is a vintage YSL Rive Gauche black rayon long sleeve top with a deep V-front and bell-sleeve detail. I believe this is 2002 or 2003 Tom Ford era YSL. Made in Italy, 100% rayon....Category
Early 2000s Italian Blouses and Tops
- Versace Vintage 1990s Oversize Classic Black Western Button Down ShirtBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Oakland, CAVersace Jeans Signature classic black western cowboy shirt. Black cotton with contrast orange stitching. Gold logo buttons throughout. Button c...Category
1990s Italian Shirts
- Helmut Lang Black T shirt Extended Hem Detail SS 1997By Helmut LangLocated in Berlin, DEArchival Helmut Lang black T shirt with white satin cutout hem panel detail from SS 1997. Tag missing on the neck line, only side tag remains.Category
1990s Austrian Tank Tops
- Helmut Lang Limited Edition T shirt 1999By Helmut LangLocated in Berlin, DEHelmut Lang khaki mesh T shirt from New York collection 1999. Fits like S - M.Category
1990s Austrian T-Shirts
- Comme des Garcons Black White Floral Short Sleeve Blouse AD 2001By Rei Kawabuko, Comme des GarçonsLocated in Berlin, DEComme des Garcons floral Blouse AD 2001. Black and white ditsy print. Short length sleeves, little V neck with collar and front button closure. Unlined. Measurements ; Shoulder : ca...Category
Early 2000s Japanese Blouses
- Huishan Zhang Black Polka Dot Midi Skirt, Size 4Located in Beverly Hills, CAProduct details: The skirt features mesh finish with velvet polka dot print, tulle style with ruffled detail on the bottom.Category
21st Century and Contemporary Shirts
- X-Large Bubble Chandelier in Natural Cotton and Satin Brass by PelleBy Jean and Oliver PelleLocated in Brooklyn, NYEthereal and iconic, the bubble chandelier is a modern re-interpretation of the crystal chandelier. Its luminous constellation of delicate glass globes adds beauty and depth to any i...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Chandeliers and PendantsMaterials
- Seletti Sofa “Comfy”, Charcoal GreyBy SelettiLocated in Doral, FLFrom its very first year in 1964, Seletti in Cicognara, Mantova, has followed its principle of professionality service and constant research to strive for betterness innovation and o...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Modern SofasMaterials
Cotton, Polyester, Wood
- HERMES Kelly 35 Crocodile Shiny Black BagBy HermèsLocated in Paris, FRMAGNIFICENT Kelly 35 bag from the House of HERMES in shiny black porosus crocodile. The jewelry is gold plated. On each tab, inscription "HERMES Paris". It...Category
1940s French Top Handle Bags
- 1925s Art Deco 2 Carat Emeralds 2.20 Carat Diamonds Platinum RingLocated in Poitiers, FRRing in platinum. Sublime art deco ring, its entire platinum setting is closed set on its top with a Colombian emerald- cut emerald and an antique- cut diamond. This duo of gems is surmounted on either side by an antique brilliant- cut diamond. The basket is crossed by finely made arabesques as well as the start of the ring which is also set on either side with an antique brilliant- cut diamond. Weight of the main diamond: approximately 2 carats. Estimated quality: I / J VVS. Weight of the emerald: about 2 carats. Total weight of other diamonds: approximately 0.20 carat. Height: 12.5 mm, width: 16.5 mm, thickness: approximately 5.5 mm, width of the ring at the base: 2 mm. Total weight of the jewel: approximately 6.3 g. US Size : 6,5 ; Free resize, please contact us. Antique jewel - Work from the 1925s, Art Deco ring. Our opinion: A high quality setting made with perfection and 2 important and magnificent...Category
Vintage 1920s French Art Deco Engagement RingsMaterials
Diamond, White Diamond, Emerald, Platinum
- Optimism Painting I - acrylic on woodBy Stuart MöllerLocated in London, GBOptimism Painting I - acrylic & mixed media on wood, 2019 16 x 16" inches / 41 x 41 cm mint condition - original and unique piece. Stuart Möller, German and born in Kabul Afghanis...Category
2010s Abstract Abstract PaintingsMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery