Yves Saint Laurent Khaki Saharienne Tunic
View Similar Items
Yves Saint Laurent Khaki Saharienne Tunic
About the Designer
Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche
Visionary French fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent was the first to launch a ready-to-wear label, YSL Rive Gauche Prêt-à-Porter. The inaugural Rive Gauche boutique — a modern shop in Paris’s bustling, bohemian Left Bank district — offered stylish garments and accessories that were intended to be affordable for a younger generation of fashion enthusiasts. The store featured Mies van der Rohe chairs and played host to actor Catherine Deneuve during its grand opening.
Saint Laurent pioneered “cross-design” in fashion, taking inspiration from street trends to modernize haute couture. He was the first couturier to open boutiques for both men and women. Using traditional menswear fabrics and designs for women, he also literally cross-dressed, giving men and women alike chic pant suits, elegant tuxedo jackets and urban safari gear. By blurring gender-specific design, he empowered individual style while creating a scissor-sharp fashion aesthetic of sensual ease and beauty. Many of his designs are today considered timeless classics. Saint Laurent also consistently used Black models, like Mounia, Iman and Naomi Campbell, and he drew endless inspiration from different ethnicities and cultures, in no small part because of his Algerian roots.
Born to French parents in Oran, Algeria, in 1936, Saint Laurent went to Paris at age 17 to study fashion at the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture. Just two years later, in 1955, his remarkable sketches were shown to Christian Dior, then the world’s reigning couturier, who hired him immediately.
Surprisingly soon thereafter, Dior publicly chose Saint Laurent as his successor, which sadly proved prescient when the fashion legend died unexpectedly, in 1957. A mere slip of a youth, the 21-year-old Saint Laurent was nevertheless up to the challenge. He shook the traditional couture clientele to its core with youthful silhouettes and styles like the A-line trapeze dress that hung with seeming effortlessness from the shoulders, the antithesis of the pinched waists and molded skirts that had been all the rage after the deprivations of World War II.
After a mandated spell in the torturous French military, Saint Laurent suffered a nervous breakdown and was dismissed by Dior in 1962. Out of the ashes rose the Age of Yves. With Pierre Bergé, his then-lover who became his lifelong business partner and friend, the designer founded Yves Saint Laurent YSL to encompass prêt-à-porter, or ready-to-wear. In 1966, they opened the first YSL Rive Gauche women’s boutique in Paris — Rive Gauche is French for “left bank” — followed soon thereafter by YSL Rive Gauche for men. Ready-to-wear materialized during a period of dynamic transformation and experimentation and came to dominate the Paris fashion scene. Saint Laurent had given birth to a global brand.
His revolutionary Mondrian mini dress from 1965 is a core element of his fashion biography. It is a prime example of how Saint Laurent, an avid art lover and collector, looked to painters, from Goya to Picasso, Ingres to Matisse, for inspiration.
With its pure lines and hues, Mondrian’s ground-breaking 1935 color-block painting Composition C transmutes beautifully into a dress that is highly valued by collectors of contemporary fashion and widely copied commercially to this day. The design is the epitome of Saint Laurent’s aesthetic, requiring a meticulous hand piecing of each color block so that, despite the body’s curves, the visual plane is as flat as a canvas when the garment is worn. Mondrian’s purity met its match in Saint Laurent.
“I am no longer concerned with sensation and innovation, but with the perfection of my style,” Saint Laurent said four years before retiring, in 2002. After a long period of ill health, he died at his home in Paris on June 1, 2008.
- Bill Blass Striped Sequined TopBy Bill BlassLocated in New York, NYBill Blass, sequins, on chiffon, pastel toned, striped top having a jeweled neckline, narrow silhouette, and long sleeves. Top ends above the hip with a back zipper closure.Category
1990s American Blouses and Tops
- Oscar de la Renta Argyle Patterned Sequined TopBy Oscar De La RentaLocated in New York, NYOscar de la Renta, argyle pattern, long sleeve, v neck top, encrusted with multi tone sequins and rhinestone detail . Top has Sapphire blue background w...Category
1980s American Blouses and Tops
- Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Multi tone Silk BlouseBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in New York, NYYves Saint Laurent, Rive Gauche, multi-tone, patterned, silk peasant blouse, having an exaggerated, deep flounced neckline detail and full sleeves that bell at the wrists.Category
1980s French Blouses and Tops
- Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Polka Dot Chiffon Lavaliere BlouseBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in New York, NYYves Saint Laurent, Rive Gauche, navy and white polka dot, chiffon, lavaliere blouse having a bias cut loose fitting body and halter cut armh...Category
1990s French Blouses and Tops
- Yves Saint Laurent Patterned Silk Jacquard BlouseBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in New York, NYYves Saint Laurent, Rive Gauche, rust/orange tone, silk jacquard printed, Lavalière, long sleeve blouse, C. late 70's.Category
1970s French Blouses and Tops
- Karl Lagerfeld for Chloé Printed Silk TunicBy Karl Lagerfeld for ChloeLocated in New York, NYKarl Lagerfeld, for Chloé, small patterned, brick red, peasant stye, tunic, in a light weight, crinkled silk, with 3/4 balloon sleeves and a tie at the neckline.Category
1970s French Tunics
- NEW Gucci Exotic Python Snake Skin Mat Leather Top Shirt Blouse 42By GucciLocated in Switzerland, CHA very special piece by GUCCI From Gucci's special exotic skins collection Such an elegant, sophisticated and classy piece that works with everything - so versatile Shirt top made ou...Category
2010s Italian Shirts$989 Sale Price45% Off
- Hermes signed vintage "les folies du ciel" by Loic Dubigeon print cotton topBy HermèsLocated in Antwerp, BEHermes vintage "les folies du ciel" by Loic Dubigeon print top. Size L 100% cotton Measurements that are taken flat: Ua to Ua 21inch/53cm(x2) - Waist 18inch/46cm(x2) - Total length ...Category
1990s French Blouses and Tops
- A French Safari Yellow Saharienne Blouse by Guy Laroche Paris Circa 1975-1980By Guy LarocheLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1975 - 1980 France Rare Saharienne shirt blouse from Guy Laroche Boutique dating from the early days of the famous Parisian fashion house. Blouse with long sleeves and Mao collar...Category
1970s French Blouses
- Jean Paul Gaultier Vintage Print TopBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Scottsdale, AZGaultier lovers, this is just for you! This top shows Gaultier’s long running fascination with extravagant prints and use of stretchy malleable material. This top is a in a unique Gaultier print featuring polka-dots, paisley, and florals. It features a short sleeve, a full-length, and a tight fit. This top is in great condition with no notable flaws. Pair with some vintage Chanel heels, a Prada mini skirt...Category
1990s French Shirts
- Christian Dior Logo Print Cream Silk Tank Top ShirtBy Christian DiorLocated in San Francisco, CAChristian Dior Boutique cream silk jersey cowl neck tank with attached grey Dior logo print panel that drapes across and is held in place with two stri...Category
Early 2000s Italian Tank Tops
- Pucci Geoemtric Black and Off White Silk Top VintageBy Emilio PucciLocated in North Miami, FLThis gorgeous vintage Pucci silk top is in graphic modes of black and off white. It is sexy looking on and fits beautifully. Size 4. Love the neckline t...Category
1980s Italian Blouses and Tops