Christian Dior Leopard Pattern Horse Hair Leather Ankle Boots (Unworn)
About the Item
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Sheung Wan, Hong Kong
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Bottega Veneta Green Intrecciato Leather Open Toes High HeelsBy Bottega VenetaLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Bottega Veneta Green intrecciato leather open toes high heels. - Size 39. - Heels height: 11cm.Category
2010s Italian High Heels
- 1996 Gucci by Tom Ford Navy Horse-Bit Strap PumpsBy GucciLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Vintage Gucci by Tom Ford navy horse-bit gold buckle strap pumps from fall 1996 collection. Kate moss and almost every model was wearing it on the runway. It was also featuring in Marion Testino fall 1996 Gucci Champagne...Category
1990s Italian High Heels
- Chanel black lambskin gold chain open toe platform sandals uBy Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel, ChanelLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Chanel black lambskin gold chain open toe platform sandals. - Size 39.Category
2010s Italian Sandals
- Chanel Orange Embroidered CC Suede Strap SandalsBy ChanelLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Vintage 90s Chanel orange suede embroidered CC open toe strap heels. - Featuring a "Chanel" gold toned hardware buckle closure. - It is a really rare item in excellent to mint c...Category
1990s Italian Heels
- New Balenciaga Purple Reflective Sunglasses With CaseBy BalenciagaLocated in Leesburg, VABalenciaga Sunglasses Brand New * Stunning Slightly Mirrored Lenses * Light & Dark Purple Frames * Frame Width 6.5” * Frame Height 2.25” * BB Gold Details on Temples * Made in Italy ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Sunglasses
- New Eugenia Kim Yellow Python Sandals Flats Shoes Sz 39 U.S. 8.5By Eugenia KimLocated in Leesburg, VAEugenia Kim $975 * Yellow & Black Genuine Python Metal Accent Adjustable Ankle Strap * Eugenia Kim did a limited collection of stunning shoes, we were lucky to get a few pair! * Siz...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Shoes
- PRADA F/W 2021 Runway Platform Boots Miuccia Prada Raf SimmonsBy PradaLocated in Berlin, BEIncredible platform boots from the third collection co-designed by Miuccia Prada and Raf Simmons. This Prada Fall Winter 2021 collection was inspired by the idea of change and transf...Category
2010s Italian Block Heel
- Italian Pollini Sculpted Patent Leather Shoes Red, Black, CoralBy PolliniLocated in North Miami, FLThese pair of sexy graphic printed patent leather square toe heels are italian and from the company called Pollini Their 3 inch heel is a sculpted indentation and very au courant. It...Category
2010s Italian High Heels
- Adidas Originals ObyO Wings 4.0 Core Cloud Sneakers by Jeremy Scott, Size 12By Jeremy Scott, MoschinoLocated in Palm Springs, CAAdidas Originals ObyO Jeremy Scott Wings 4.0 Core Black Cloud White Sneakers Additional Information: Material: Synthetic Leather Color: Black Size: 12 Style: Black Pattern: Solid Co...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Ankle Boots
- Moschino 2000's Spell out Pink Sparkly Barbie Kitten High Heels - shoesBy MoschinoLocated in Sheffield, GBSimple and sparkly, 2000's pink Moschino kitten heels, with sparkly pink vinyl panelled straps and printed MOSCHINO Logo. Leather soles Simple design Made in Italy Sizing: EU 38 ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Heels
Recently ViewedView All
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.