- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Vintage Manolo Blahnik Size 38.5 / 8.5 Black and White Spectator Flats / Shoes
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: San Diego, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
About the Manufacturer
There may be no designer with as wide a breadth of references as the fashion and footwear icon Manolo Blahnik, whose stated sources of inspiration for the creation of his sublime shoes include — but are not limited to — Diana Vreeland, ancient Greece, 21st-century architecture, Spanish cinema and Piet Mondrian.
It’s a fittingly robust list for someone who has spent a lifetime in the self-described “pursuit of beauty.”
Born in 1942 in Spain’s Canary Islands, Blahnik had an early exposure to shoemaking: During World War II, his designer-shoe-loving mother enlisted a local cobbler to teach her to make her own footwear from available materials. The young Blahnik was intrigued.
After briefly studying law in Switzerland with the intention of becoming a diplomat, Blahnik moved to Paris, where he took a job in a vintage clothing shop while studying art at École des Beaux-Arts as well as set design at the art school of the Louvre. It wasn’t until years later, however, that he would realize his calling as a shoe designer. In the late 1960s, Blahnik relocated to London, where he worked for both the Sunday Times and Vogue. In the early 1970s, the renowned American Vogue editor Diana Vreeland saw his sketches and urged him to pursue footwear.
After a debut collection for celebrated fashion designer Ossie Clark — featuring models that Blahnik had gotten to know through his work in the fashion industry, among them Twiggy — received acclaim, he created footwear for illustrious dressmaker Jean Muir and apprenticed with professional shoemakers in London to perfect his craft. By 1973 he had bought out the shoe boutique Zapata and made it his own. Bloomingdale’s introduced him to the American market with a collection a few years later.
Vintage Manolo Blahnik shoes are famous for their theatricality, as the designer is well known for the whimsical, fantastical elements he brings to footwear, often in an explosive palette. “I have always approached color in a bold way, from all angles and variations,” he once said. “Always searching for the poetry of an impossible color.” Tack on teetering height as a trademark that took shape from early on.
“Those poor girls couldn’t walk properly, but people loved it,” the designer recalled of his early models. “Sir Cecil Beaton said to me, ‘Is this a new way of walking?’” To take it from pop culture, it indeed might have been: People are still talking about the night that Bianca Jagger dazzled, horseback, at Studio 54 in a Halston dress and Blahnik shoes on her 30th birthday, and, decades later, the footwear icon was rendered a household name during the long-running television series Sex and the City.
Today, Manolo Blahnik remains a virtual synonym for luxury shoes. Find a range of his footwear and handbags on 1stDibs.
- Manolo Blahnik Size 41 / 11 Raspberry Pink Patent Leather Strappy High HeelsBy Manolo BlahnikLocated in San Diego, CABeautiful MANOLO BLAHNIK raspberry pink patent leather strappy high heels in hard to find Size 41 / US 11 ! Features three adjustable straps with silver / nickel hardware. Leather so...Category
2010s High Heels
- New Manolo Blahnik Brown Snake Skin Python Sz 40.5 US 10 High Heel SandalsBy Manolo BlahnikLocated in San Diego, CABrand new early 2000s MANOLO BLAHNIK brown and tan beaded python snakeskin heels in hard to find Size 40.5/US 10.5! Brown beaded triple strand strap at each front ankle, with adjusta...Category
Early 2000s Shoes$1,100 Sale Price20% Off
- 1990s Manolo Blahnik Rare Size 35.5 / 5.5 Brown + Ivory Zebra Kitten Heel MulesBy Manolo BlahnikLocated in San Diego, CARare musuem worthy vintage early 90s MANOLO BLAHNIK zebra print brown and ivory Irish linen and leather kitten heel mules! Signature Blahnik silhouette with Avant Garde cut-out detai...Category
1990s Low Heels
- Sergio Rossi Size 36 / 6 Eel Skin Black Platform Peep Toe Sling Back High HeelsBy Sergio RossiLocated in San Diego, CABeautiful SERGIO ROSSI black eel skin and leather platform high heels in Size 36 / US 6 ! Stacked platforms. Make these beauties easy and comfortable to wear all day. Slingback style...Category
2010s High Heels
- Michael Kors Collection Size 8 Chocolate Brown Leather High Heel Knee High BootsBy Michael KorsLocated in San Diego, CAClassic MICHAEL KORS COLLECTION Size 8 chocolate brown leather knee high boots! It is so easy to find a good pair of black boots, but brown leather boots are hard to come by. Sensibl...Category
- Lanvin Size 35 / 5 Black Leather High Stacked Heel Knee High Boots / ShoesBy Lanvin ParisLocated in San Diego, CAStylish LANVIN Size 35 / US 5 black leather stacked high heel knee high boots! Perfect everyday boots that can easily be dressed up or down. Comfortable stacked heel. Great with jean...Category
Early 2000s Boots
You May Also Like
21st Century and Contemporary Sandals
21st Century and Contemporary Shoes
21st Century and Contemporary Shoes
21st Century and Contemporary Heels
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery