- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Christian Dior Haute Couture Matrix Collection Skirt Automne Hiver 1999-2000
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: S (US)
- Style:Matrix (In the Style Of)
- Place of Origin:France
- Material Notes:Coated Linen, Leather, Rubber, Plastic Resin
- Seller Location:New York, NY
- Reference Number:1stDibs: AU130401461595
Known for introducing rich theatricality and memorable fashion spectacles to the runway, John Galliano has enjoyed a singular career. The audacious British designer has garnered universal acclaim for genre-breaking collections not only at his eponymous label but also for Givenchy and Christian Dior.
From his embroidered absinthe-green Oscars gown for actress Nicole Kidman to the iconic sleeveless newspaper-print dress that Sex and the City’s Carrie Bradshaw made famous, Galliano’s intricate and multifaceted work is reliably newsworthy, drawing on history as often as it embodies a fresh and forward-looking sensibility, and over the years the designer has helped shape an ever-broadening new legion of enthusiasts for Parisian couture.
Born in Gibraltar but raised in South London by strict Roman Catholic working-class parents, Galliano attended the all-boys Church of England grammar school, where his flamboyance and interest in art attracted the attention of bullies. Eventually, Galliano ended up at the prestigious design and art school Central Saint Martins College (then called Saint Martin’s School of Art), where fellow British designers Stella McCartney and Alexander McQueen also trained.
Galliano flourished at Central Saint Martins. While a student, he worked in the costume department at the National Theatre in London. His graduate collection in 1984, dubbed “Les Incroyables” and named for post–French Revolution fashion lovers, was modeled by close friends of his and earned a standing ovation. The line ended up in the storefront windows of London luxury boutique Brown’s on South Molton Street, and Galliano’s first official collection — after he graduated — debuted at Paris Fashion Week in 1989.
In the early 1990s, Galliano’s relationship with his financial backer, Plein Sud’s Faycal Amor, ended, and by 1994, he was broke and sleeping on the floor of a friend’s apartment. Vogue editor in chief Anna Wintour and then-Vanity Fair editor André Leon Talley stepped in and introduced the budding designer to Portuguese socialite and fashion patron São Schlumberger and others. At Schlumberger’s Hôtel Particulier, Galliano’s shows became the stuff of fashion legend. His collection, a blend of Japanese modernist style as well as nostalgia for Art Deco and 1940s’ tailoring, earned raves in glossy magazines and garnered the attention of Princess Diana, Madonna and other fashion luminaries.
Once the Galliano name was well known among the world’s most stylish set, the chairperson of LVMH, Bernard Arnault, appointed Galliano head designer of French fashion house Givenchy. One year later, in 1996, LVMH moved him to the design team at Dior, where he produced scores of celebrated looks for Dior Haute Couture. Today, Galliano is the creative director of Maison Margiela.
Shop vintage John Galliano evening dresses and gowns, handbags, jackets and other clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
On 1stDibs, find an exquisite range of vintage Christian Dior clothing, jewelry, handbags and other items.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: New York, NY
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Christian Dior Lame Pleated SkirtBy Christian DiorLocated in New York, NYChristian Dior Lame Pleated Skirt from the 1980's in an Art Deco Rose pattern. Pleats fall from waist with side zip entry. Size 4, Waist 24", 33" Long, Hip to 36". Christian Dior L...Category
1980s French Pleated Skirts
- Oscar de la Renta Hussar Style Velvet SkirtBy Oscar De La RentaLocated in New York, NYOscar de la Renta Ink Black Hussar Style Velvet Skirt with passementerie braid trim and jet beading along slash pockets and hem, a timeless classic from Oscar de la Renta which can b...Category
1990s American Skirts
- Hermes Silk Jersey Horse Print SkirtBy HermèsLocated in New York, NYHermes Silk Jersey Horse Print Skirt from the 1970's. Simple gathered skirt from wide waistband. Printed with a checkerboard of different horse motifs o...Category
1970s French Skirts
- Sequin Accented Strawberry Hostess SkirtLocated in New York, NYSequined Strawberry Hostess Skirt from the 1960's. Select strawberries are over sequined in red and green on the front of the skirt. Simple gathered w...Category
1960s American Skirts
- Yves Saint Laurent Russian Collection Velvet SkirtBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in New York, NYYves Saint Laurent Russian Collection Skirt in a soft, silky wine cotton/rayon blend. Simply constructed with gathered waist and gold soutache embroidery...Category
1970s French Skirts
- Chanel Dramatic Lace Ruffle and Sequin Evening SkirtBy Chanel BoutiqueLocated in New York, NYDramatic and special Chanel black mille feuille lace ruffled and black sequin paillette banded evening skirt by Karl lagerfeld. Cut slim above the knee then opens into an opulent tulip shape with a huge sweep. Lagerfeld appropriates a Chanel 1930...Category
1980s French Ruffled Skirts
- Givenchy by Alexander McQueen Haute Couture brown snakeskin dress, ss 2001By Givenchy, Alexander McQueen for Givenchy Haute CoutureLocated in London, GB▪ Givenchy Haute Couture brown snakeskin dress ▪ Designed by Alexander McQueen ▪ Skintight fit ▪ Vertical snakeskin panels with tulle bands ▪ Emb...Category
Early 2000s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Christian Dior by John Galliano purple glass bead choker necklace, ss 1998By John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior purple glass bead choker necklace ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ 18-strands of purple glass beads with 3 looped strands ▪ Larg...Category
1990s French Neckties
- Christian Dior by John Galliano silk evening dress and cocoon coat set, ss 1998By John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior evening dress and coat set ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Red and cream floral printed evening dress with train ▪ Red silk jacquard reversible cocoon coat ▪ Persian lamb collar ▪ Gold metal chain fringes...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Iconic Museum-worthy GIANNI VERSACE Atelier Long Black DressBy VersaceLocated in Montgomery, TXGIANNI VERSACE A BLACK EVENING DRESS IN HEAVY LYCRA NET EFFECT, TULLE AND LACE BODICE WORN BY STEPHANIE SEYMOUR IN AVEDON'S AUTUMN/WINTER CAMPAIGN 1993/94. Was auctioned in 2001 on Sotheby's in NYC. Sotheby's auction item # 598 THIS AMAZING DRESS WAS DESIGNED BY GIANNI VERSACE HIMSELF and CAME FROM HIS PERSONAL ARCHIVE COLLECTION! Versace Atelier Content: 60% lana, 40% nylon Versace's phenomenal long dress makes an unforgettable statement with a striking Swarovski crystal embellished gold buttons and sheer plisse panels. Since it was runway sample it has no size. Approximately size 4. Versace at it's best! Museum worthy...Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses
- Christian Dior by John Galliano floral embroidered silk evening dress, fw 1997By John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Important and rare Christian Dior mint silk hand-embroidered evening dress ▪ Designed by John Galliano for his first RTW collection at Dior ▪ Floral embroidery inspired by antique Chinese shawls...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- ALEXANDER McQUEEN A/W 1996 “Dante” Brown Blazer Skirt Suit w/ Hair + Birth LabelBy Alexander McQueenLocated in Thiensville, WIALEXANDER McQUEEN A/W 1996 “Dante” Brown Blazer Skirt Suit w/ Hair + Birth Label Brand / Manufacturer: Alexander McQueen Collection: A/W 1996 “Dante”-R...Category
1990s Italian Skirt Suits$134,996 Sale Price40% Off
- Vintage 1976 Sonny & Cher Documented Custom-Made Bob Mackie Sequin Gown Suit SetBy Bob MackieLocated in Beverly Hills, CAOwn a major slice of celebrity history! Two important, well-documented Sonny & Cher worn garments custom made for their 1976-77 promotional pictures and Westchester/Harrah's performances. The legendary costume designer Ret Turner...Category
1970s American Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- 1980S JEAN CHARLES DE CASTELBAJAC Teddy Bear CoatLocated in New York, NY1980S JEAN CHARLES DE CASTELBAJAC Teddy Bear CoatCategory
1980s French Jackets
- Chanel by Karl Lagerfeld Haute Couture mauve embroidered lace pant suit, fw 2002By Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel, ChanelLocated in London, GB▪ Chanel Haute Couture mauve lace evening pant suit ▪ Designed by Karl Lagerfeld ▪ Embroidery by Lesage in a plethora of beads, sequins and crystals ▪ Sequin tassel trim ▪ Built-i...Category
Early 2000s French Trouser Pant Suits
- Vintage 1989 Gianni Versace Haute Couture Beaded Circus Novelty Gown and ShawlBy Versace, Gianni VersaceLocated in Beverly Hills, CAAn exceptional and museum quality Gianni Versace hand-beaded gown and matching full-length shawl dating back to his famous 1989 haute couture collection. This one-of-a-kind ensemble ...Category
1980s Italian Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- John Galliano for Christian Dior Silk Maxi SkirtBy Christian Dior, John GallianoLocated in Water Mill, NYA gorgeous silk long skirt with yellow, green and white abstract shapes including glowers and leaves on a brown background from John Galliano for Christian Dior. It is semi fitted t...Category
Early 2000s French Skirts
- John Galliano SS-2011 Wool Ruffled Hem Knee Length SkirtBy John GallianoLocated in Brussels, BEThe genius of John Galliano was his ability to make even the most traditional shapes alluring and seductive, adding his own personal twist to classical dressing. This stylish knee le...Category
2010s French Skirts
- John Galliano Cherry Print Silk Maxi Skirt F/W 2003By John GallianoLocated in Boca Raton, FLJohn Galliano is notable for his zany designs. From mixing wild prints in unconventional ways to garments made out of sheer parody, Galliano undoubtedly maintains his position through his one-of-a-kind creativity and truly new aesthetics. His 2003 F/W collection channeled “urban glamour” using neon...Category
Early 2000s Skirts
- John Galliano black leather deconstructed wrap skirt, c. 2002By John GallianoLocated in London, GB▪ John Galliano black leather deconstructed wrap skirt ▪ Silver metal hardware ▪ Designed to look like a leather coat deconstructed into a skirt ▪ Front button fastenings ▪ Asymme...Category
Early 2000s French Skirts
- Galliano Vintage Black Velvet Skirt w/ Pink Spots - S - 1990'sBy John GallianoLocated in West Palm Beach, FLGalliano Vintage Black Velvet Skirt w/ Pink Spots - S - 1990's. This adorable skirt is in excellent condition. It features a lovely black velvet material with pink spots, silk lini...Category
1990s British Skirts
- 1990s John Galliano Gold Sequin Slit Bodycon Pencil SkirtBy John GallianoLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a stunning gold sequin John Galliano skirt. This fabulous pencil skirt is covered in sequins that perfectly catch the light. The skirt is made complete with a l...Category
1990s French Pencil Skirts$1,276 Sale Price20% Off
- Pair of Original Hans Olsen for Frem Røjle Danish Teak Bikini ChairsBy Frem Røjle, Hans OlsenLocated in Chattanooga, TNNot only are these Hans Olsen Bikini chairs in beautiful condition, but they proudly sport their original green fabric. We took these chairs...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Fabric, Teak$11,960 Sale Price / set20% Off
- Christian Dior by John Galliano pink mink fur cropped bolero jacket, fw 1997By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior pink mink fur cropped bolero jacket ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Shawl lapel ▪ Wide cropped sleeves appearing as a cape from the b...Category
1990s French Jackets
- Baffo Lounge Chair by Didone and Pareschi for BusnelliBy Busnelli, Gianni Pareschi 1, Ezio DidoneLocated in JM Haarlem, NLFirst edition 'Baffo' lounge chair by Ezio Didone and Gianni Pareschi for Gruppo Industriale Busnelli, Italy. Chromed tubular steel frame and saddle-stitched leather seat. Dimension...Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Steel, Chrome$3,092 Sale Price30% Off
- Mick Jagger with a Guitar, Black & White Photography, Fine Art Print, SignedBy Dominique TarléLocated in Los Angeles, CA31.5 x 23.6 in (50 x 60 cm) Silver Gelatin Print Edition of 50 Price does not include tax.Category
1970s Black and White PhotographyMaterials
- Gio Ponti F.A. 33 Medium Mirror in Black BrassBy Gio Ponti, GubiLocated in Glendale, CAGio Ponti F.A. 33 medium mirror in black brass. The F.A. 33 Mirror was originally designed by Gio Ponti in 1933 for Fontana Arte, the period’s most prominent lamp, glass, and mirror ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Danish Mid-Century Modern Wall MirrorsMaterials
Brass$1,499 / item
Recently ViewedView More
How John Galliano Caused Fashion Chaos around the Globe
The visionary designer epitomizes the pleasures and perils of irrepressible creative genius.
The Best Ways to Dress for Your Astrological Sign
Makeup and astrology expert Linda Mason dispenses fashion advice for every zodiac sign. Does your wardrobe match your horoscope?
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery