- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
GIANNI VERSACE Leather cut out twisted Mini Skirt, c. 1990s
About the Item
- Dimensions:Length: 14.57 in (37 cm)Marked Size: 38IT - XS (EU)Waist: 14.38 in (36.5 cm)Hip: 16.34 in (41.5 cm)
- Style:1990 (Of the Period)
- Place of Origin:
- Seller Location:Genève, CH
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU2663215787692
The signature extravagance of legendary fashion designer Gianni Versace — forever aligned with glamour, sex, celebrity and spectacle — can overshadow the Italian couturier’s broad and deep engagement with history and culture. More than any designer before him, Versace mined celebrity, music and Pop art for inspiration, and his subversive, maximalist and unabashedly seductive designs infused high fashion with an entirely new ethos.
“I don’t believe in good taste,” Versace once explained. Instead, he had a sexy good time with fashion — as he did with life. Today, vintage Gianni Versace clothing, handbags and other accessories look astonishingly fresh and freshly relevant.
Gianni Versace was born in Calabria, Italy. His mother was a successful dressmaker who employed more than 40 seamstresses. As a child, little Gianni marveled at her workshop, which would become a university of sorts, where he learned the exceptional construction techniques that were at the foundation of his creative expression. In 1972, at age 25, he moved to Milan to work in fashion. He launched his first collection — and his label — in 1978, with his older brother Santo managing the business concerns. Soon, sister Donatella, whom Gianni dressed and took to discos when she was still a child, joined the family venture, where she had a creative role and managed enormously popular ready-to-wear lines such as Versus.
Vintage Versace has become catnip for modern fashion enthusiasts who seek out the now-iconic house codes that originated in the designs of the 1980s and 1990s. His glamorous and seductive apparel — the clingy skirts and slender, strappy party dresses, as well as the erotic magazine ads that publicized them — looms large, but Versace’s art and historical influences were also vast.
Versace was an art collector, and he took on commissions to create costumes for theatrical performances during the 1980s and spoke of looking to numerous cultures for inspiration. The New York Times noted in 1997 that the fashion industry “is now driven by contemporary culture because Mr. Versace made it that way.” Insiders consider his 1991/1992 Autumn/Winter runway show — which featured supermodels Christy Turlington, Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell and Linda Evangelista lip-synching George Michael’s “Freedom” — as the moment when the two worlds of fashion and pop culture became one, changing both forever.
Versace's adventurous spirit of design resulted in his creating jewel-toned prints rooted in Grecian motifs, Etruscan symbols, the Italian Baroque and Andy Warholʼs Marilyn Monroe. There were slinky dresses in Oroton, his patented chain-mail textile that draped like satin, and leather bondage ensembles. Sex sold, for both women and men. Wrote the late curator Richard Martin, “[Versace] became the standard-bearer of gay men’s fashion because he eschewed decorum and designed for desire.”
Following Versace’s tragic murder in 1997, Donatella took over the role of artistic director and continued to evolve the house codes with a twist of her feminine and feminist perspective. Today, Santo Versace is chief executive officer of Versace and Donatella is its chief creative officer.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Barcelona, Spain
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- 1980 GIANNI VERSACE lurex silk pleated SkirtBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Genève, CHRare Gianni Versace deep blue pleated silk skirt -Closed by side zipper -Belt loops -Made in Italy -Circa 1979-1989 -80% Silk - 20% Polyester -Estimated size: 40 FR (marked as III )...Category
1980s Italian Pleated Skirts
- JEAN PAUL GAULTIER 1990 fringed denim skirt - part of a setBy Gaultier JeansLocated in Genève, CHBlue denim skirt with fringe trim by Jean Paul Gaultier, wear yours with the matching shirt. -Frayed fringe details along seams and hems -Metal zipper and logo on the side -100% Cot...Category
1990s Italian Skirts$607 Sale Price30% Off
- JEAN PAUL GAULTIER SS 2001 co-ord mesh shirt and trousers Bacteria printBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Genève, CHCo-ord set with iconic Bacteria print from Gaultier SS 2001, fantastic condition. Made in Italy. Set is Top is in size XL, made of extremely flexible polyamide mesh and can fit from...Category
Early 2000s Italian Trouser Pant Suits$571 Sale Price20% Off
- MONTANA FW 1989 oversized cashmere drapé coatBy Claude Montana Paris, Claude MontanaLocated in Genève, CHCoat by Montana -Generous structured collar -Deep teal color -Kimono silhouette sleeves -Oversize fitting -Two inseam hip pockets -Made in Italy -80% Wool / 20% Cashmere -Estimated ...Category
1980s Italian Coats
- JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Maille turquoise mesh shirt Y2KBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Genève, CHJean-Paul Gaultier semi-sheer mesh top -Maille Femme collection -Made in Italy -Circa 1995-2005 -100% Polyamid -Estimated size: 36 FR to 40 FR (marked as XS) -Very good conditionsCategory
21st Century and Contemporary French T-Shirts
- CHRISTIAN DIOR SS 2004 "Surf chick" Scarf by John GallianoBy John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Genève, CHChristian Dior blue and white scarf from 2004 "Surf Chick" collection. Can be worn in multiple ways such as a scarf, top or beach cover-up style tied skirt. -John Galliano area -11...Category
Early 2000s French Scarves
- Todd Oldham One Shoulder Dress, Spring 1998By Todd OldhamLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis is a dress by Todd Oldham from spring 1998. It is made from a yellow silk that is smooth surfaced around the body but with piping and a dupioni finish around the bust. The one...Category
1990s Cocktail Dresses
- Vintage John Galliano for Christian Dior Silk Cami TopBy John Galliano, Christian DiorLocated in Montgomery, TXVintage John Galliano for Christian Dior Silk Cami Top Early 2000-s Multicolored Silk Top, Spaghetti Straps, Slip-on Style. Measurements: Length - 21 inch, Bust - 32/34", Waist - 32"...Category
Early 2000s French Tank Tops$796 Sale Price20% Off
- 1995 F/W TODD OLDHAM Chainmail dressBy Todd OldhamLocated in Austin, TX1995 F/W Todd Oldham red chainmail dress. Size S/M Condition: ExcellentCategory
1990s American Day Dresses
- Christian Dior by John Galliano red and gold crochet-knit evening dress, fw 1999By John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior crochet-knit evening dress ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Metallic gold foiled over red crochet-knit ▪ Large turn-over off-shoulder collar ▪ Low open back ▪ Gold lu...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Chanel by Karl Lagerfeld pastel tweed mini dress jacket, ss 1996By Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel, ChanelLocated in London, GB▪ Chanel pastel tweed mini dress jacket ▪ Designed by Karl Lagerfeld ▪ Silver buttons with coin style engravings ▪ Nipped waist ▪ Silk lining ▪ Wool and nylon blend tweed ▪ Yell...Category
1990s French Jackets
- 1990s Gianni Versace Couture Teal Turquoise Blue Silk Jersey Vintage 90s SkirtBy Gianni Versace Couture, Gianni VersaceLocated in San Diego, CAThe ultimate 1990s vintage GIANNI VERSACE COUTURE turquoise / teal blue slink silk jersey skirt! The perfect vibrant blue color adds a pop of color to any outfit. Sits on the hips, w...Category
1990s Italian Pencil Skirts
- Gianni Versace Wool Mid-Length Skirt in BlueBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Carnate, ITGianni Versace Wool Mid-Length Skirt in Blue Gianni Versace skirt in electric blue wool and silk with zipper and hook on the back, belt which, on the left, forms a knot. Length 63 c...Category
- 1990s Gianni Versace Black Wool Long Pencil Skirt Waistband Golden LogoBy Gianni Versace, V2 Versace ClassicLocated in Brindisi, BtVersace Classic V2 vintage skirt 90s. Model long, color black , 86% wool 11% polyamide 3% elastene. Waistband with gold-colored logo of the fashion house. Inner lining. Made in Italy...Category
1990s Italian Pencil Skirts
- Vintage 1990s GIANNI VERSACE Black Quilted Leather SkirtBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage 1990s GIANNI VERSACE Black Quilted Leather Skirt Measurements taken laid flat, please double waist and hips: Waist: 12.60 inches (32 cm) Hips: 17.32 inches (44 cm) Length: 2...Category
1990s Italian Pencil Skirts
- Gold embroidered pencil skirt and yellow gold satin belt Gianni VersaceBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FRGold embroidered pencil skirtCategory
1990s Italian Skirts
- Long evening pencil black skirt fully embroidered Gianni VersaceBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FRLong evening pencil black skirt fully embroidered with glass beads on a black velvet base. Split on middle back in the bottom lenght: 23 cmCategory
1990s Italian Pencil Skirts
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery