New 1980s Gianni Versace Yellow Cotton Flared Skirt w Front Pocket Apron w/ Tags
About the Item
The signature extravagance of legendary fashion designer Gianni Versace — forever aligned with glamour, sex, celebrity and spectacle — can overshadow the Italian couturier’s broad and deep engagement with history and culture. More than any designer before him, Versace mined celebrity, music and Pop art for inspiration, and his subversive, maximalist and unabashedly seductive designs infused high fashion with an entirely new ethos.
“I don’t believe in good taste,” Versace once explained. Instead, he had a sexy good time with fashion — as he did with life. Today, vintage Gianni Versace clothing, handbags and other accessories look astonishingly fresh and freshly relevant.
Gianni Versace was born in Calabria, Italy. His mother was a successful dressmaker who employed more than 40 seamstresses. As a child, little Gianni marveled at her workshop, which would become a university of sorts, where he learned the exceptional construction techniques that were at the foundation of his creative expression. In 1972, at age 25, he moved to Milan to work in fashion. He launched his first collection — and his label — in 1978, with his older brother Santo managing the business concerns. Soon, sister Donatella, whom Gianni dressed and took to discos when she was still a child, joined the family venture, where she had a creative role and managed enormously popular ready-to-wear lines such as Versus.
Vintage Versace has become catnip for modern fashion enthusiasts who seek out the now-iconic house codes that originated in the designs of the 1980s and 1990s. His glamorous and seductive apparel — the clingy skirts and slender, strappy party dresses, as well as the erotic magazine ads that publicized them — looms large, but Versace’s art and historical influences were also vast.
Versace was an art collector, and he took on commissions to create costumes for theatrical performances during the 1980s and spoke of looking to numerous cultures for inspiration. The New York Times noted in 1997 that the fashion industry “is now driven by contemporary culture because Mr. Versace made it that way.” Insiders consider his 1991/1992 Autumn/Winter runway show — which featured supermodels Christy Turlington, Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell and Linda Evangelista lip-synching George Michael’s “Freedom” — as the moment when the two worlds of fashion and pop culture became one, changing both forever.
Versace's adventurous spirit of design resulted in his creating jewel-toned prints rooted in Grecian motifs, Etruscan symbols, the Italian Baroque and Andy Warholʼs Marilyn Monroe. There were slinky dresses in Oroton, his patented chain-mail textile that draped like satin, and leather bondage ensembles. Sex sold, for both women and men. Wrote the late curator Richard Martin, “[Versace] became the standard-bearer of gay men’s fashion because he eschewed decorum and designed for desire.”
Following Versace’s tragic murder in 1997, Donatella took over the role of artistic director and continued to evolve the house codes with a twist of her feminine and feminist perspective. Today, Santo Versace is chief executive officer of Versace and Donatella is its chief creative officer.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Portland, OR
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- 1980s Vintage 2 Pc Skirt & Top Dress In Yellow & Black & White Graphic PrintLocated in Portland, ORThis is a fun 100% cotton yellow and black 2 piece dress in a great, graphic print from L'eru Vive. The top buttons down the front and has shoulder pads. The skirt has an elastic wa...Category
1980s Thai Informal Dresses
- Vintage Valentino Boutique Brown Wool Skirt With PocketsBy ValentinoLocated in Portland, ORWe love this classic brown wool pencil skirt from Valentino Boutique. This vintage Valentino skirt came from an estate we acquired many years a...Category
1980s Italian Skirts
- 1970s Vintage Hermes Plaid Multi Colored Wool Pencil SkirtBy HermèsLocated in Portland, ORThis fall/winter late 1970's Hermès houndstooth plaid wool skirt is in beautiful shades of olive green, navy, teal, magenta, orange, red, black, and brown. The bright colors in this ...Category
1970s French Pencil Skirts
- 1960s Vintage Emilio Pucci Colorful Print Velvet A Line SkirtBy Emilio PucciLocated in Portland, ORThis fabulous vintage Pucci A line skirt is in a fun and colorful green, brown, orange, pink, yellow, blue, and pale pink printed velvet. The back of the skirt's waistband has a flat...Category
1970s Italian A-Line Skirts
- Vintage Escada Lime Green Lightweight Summer Wool Pleated SkirtBy Escada Margaretha LeyLocated in Portland, ORThis lime green Summer weight wool Escada skirt would be a great addition to any wardrobe! This pastel lime green skirt is beautifully pleated and ha...Category
1990s German Pleated Skirts
- Dolce & Gabbana White Skirt With Front Zipper Size 46By Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Portland, ORThis is a fabulous Dolce & Gabbana white cotton zipper skirt with a pleated front. There is a silver tone metal zipper down the center front from waist to hem with a interior button ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Pencil Skirts
- SALVATORE FERRAGAMO Size 2 Yellow Stitched Cotton Pencil SkirtBy Salvatore FerragamoLocated in San Francisco, CASALVATORE FERRAGAMO skirt comes in a yellow cotton / spandex with top stitching featuring a pencil style and a back zip up closure. Made in Italy. Very Good Pre-Owned Condition. Mar...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Pencil Skirts
- ASHISH yellow abstract leopard sport iridescent sequin embellished skirt SBy AshishLocated in Hong Kong, NTASHISH yellow abstract leopard sport iridescent sequin embellished skirt S Reference: CAWG/A00104 Brand: Ashish Color: Yellow Pattern: Leopard Closure: Zip Extra Detail: Feels like ...Category
2010s A-Line Skirts
- 1980S Azzedine Alaia Yellow Ochre Rayon Blend Knit Body-Con Micro Mini SkirtBy Azzedine AlaïaLocated in New York, NY1980S Azzedine Alaia Yellow Ochre Rayon Blend Knit Body-Con Micro Mini SkirtCategory
1980s Wrap Skirts
- new BALENCIAGA Demna 2019 Runway yellow acetate wrap tie maxi skirt FR34 XSBy BalenciagaLocated in Hong Kong, NTnew BALENCIAGA Demna 2019 Runway yellow acetate wrap tie maxi skirt FR34 XS Reference: TGAS/C00481 Brand: Balenciaga Designer: Demna Collection: 2019 Runway Material: Viscose C...Category
2010s Italian Wrap Skirts
- Roberto Cavalli Yellow Silk Satin Flared Maxi Skirt LBy Roberto CavalliLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2This skirt from Roberto Cavalli will give you a comfortable fit and an elegant look. Tailored using silk, the skirt has a flared shape, yellow hue, and a flattering silhouette. Team ...Category
2010s Italian Flare Skirts
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery