- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Valentino Vintage Classic Black Wool Skirt
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Sparks, NV
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Designer
The mononymously known Italian designer Valentino Clemente Ludovico Garavani (b. 1932) is renowned for his fashion house of romantic styles and feminine shapes that he founded in Rome in 1960.
An early fascination with fashion developed when Valentino attended the theater as a child and was dazzled by the evening gowns on stage. While a teenager in Voghera, Lombardy, he studied under Italian designer Ernestina Salvadeo and soon moved to Paris, where he trained at the École des Beaux-Arts and the Chambre Syndicale de la Couture Parisienne. Valentino spent time apprenticing under haute couturiers Jean Dessès and Guy Laroche, learning how to design and construct high fashion while also thinking about how to strike out on his own.
In 1959, Valentino returned to Italy, and a year later, he opened his own salon, soon joining with longtime professional and personal partner Giancarlo Giammetti. It was located on Rome’s trendy Via Condotti and modeled after the French maisons. One of his earliest clients was Elizabeth Taylor, who discovered Valentino while she was in Rome filming Cleopatra and ordered the white dress that she wore to the premiere of Spartacus. When the designer launched his first couture line in 1962 with its fiery red colors, it was internationally celebrated, with Valentino soon attiring fashion trendsetters including Princess Margaret and Audrey Hepburn. He formed an especially close friendship with Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, for whom he designed numerous dresses. Luxurious drapery with fine needlework, bold uses of color and dramatic flourishes would define Valentino fashion across the decades.
As a fashion house, Valentino is best known for its signature Valentino Red color, though one of its iconic lines is the monochromatic “no colour” collection for which the designer won the Neiman Marcus Award in 1967. (The collection also debuted his trademark “V.”) The white and beige dresses led to a demand for Valentino wedding gowns, with clients including Elizabeth Taylor, Jennifer Lopez and Anne Hathaway. Valentino retired from his fashion empire in 2007, with Alessandra Facchinetti and then the duo Maria Grazia Chiuri (who departed in 2016) and Pierpaolo Piccioli succeeding him as creative directors. But Valentino still steps out of retirement for special occasions, such as designing a wedding gown for Princess Madeleine of Sweden in 2013. Today, the brand has expanded far beyond women’s haute couture and prêt-à-porter to encompass various lines of accessories, including shoes, sunglasses, scarves and perfume.
- Valentino for Henri Bendel Vintage Black + White Fringe Maxi SkirtBy ValentinoLocated in Sparks, NVVintage Valentino maxi skirt with a side slit and white fringe trim. Details: Fully Lined Side Button Zip and Snap Closure Marked Size: 6 Color: Black/ White Label: Valenti...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Skirts
- Philippe Dalma Paris Vintage Avant Garde Pencil Skirt- 1980s FranceLocated in Sparks, NVUnique vintage avant garde skirt by Paris designer Philippe Dalma from the 1980s. Fully lined with side zip and button closure. The marked size is 40, and the skirt fits like a moder...Category
1980s French Pencil Skirts
- 1990s Unworn with Tags Jean Paul Gaultier Femme Vintage Brown Avant Garde SkirtBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Sparks, NVUnique brown avant garde skirt by Jean Paul Gaultier with a chain detail. Unlined with no closure (pulls up over hips). 100% rayon. The marked size is I 44/ D 40/ F 40/ GB 12/ USA 10...Category
1990s American Skirts
- Christian Lacroix 1990s Vintage Black Neoprene Scuba Jacket + Skirt EnsembleBy Christian LacroixLocated in Sparks, NVFantastic vintage 1990s neoprene skirt and jacket ensemble by Christian Lacroix. Shiny black scuba fabric is black on the exterior and orange on the inside. Wear together as an ensem...Category
1990s French Jackets
- 1970s Le Gambi Vintage Shiny Wet Look Spandex Disco Pants Fabric Zip Up SkirtLocated in Sparks, NVIconic 1970s vintage shiny wet look disco zip up mini skirt by Le Gambi. Details: Unlined Zip Front Closure Marked Size: 9/10 Estimated Size: Small Color: Black/ White Fa...Category
1970s American Skirts
- Yves Saint Laurent 1970s Vintage Plaid Wool Midi SkirtBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Sparks, NVEarly Yves Saint Laurent! Vintage 1970s plaid wool midi skirt with a velvet hemline. The marked size is 42 and the skirt fits like a size large. Details: Unlined Front Pockets...Category
1970s French Pleated Skirts
- Valentino Black/White Check JacketBy Valentino, Miss VLocated in Alford, MAValentino 1980s black and white wool check jacket, single breasted, round neckline and front bordered with black ribbon. Integrated pockets, shoulder pads, black crepe lining. Approx...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Jackets
- Valentino Boutique Black Satin Velvet Flounces Evening Sheath SkirtBy ValentinoLocated in Brindisi, BtValentino Boutique elegant vintage 80s skirt. Satin and velvet sheath skirt with knee flounces. Black colour. Zip and button closure. Made in Italy. Excellent vintage conditions. Si...Category
1980s Italian Pencil Skirts
- Deadstock Vintage New Valentino Alligator Print Embossed Leather Pencil SkirtBy ValentinoLocated in Portland, ORThis is a gorgeous brown leather pencil skirt by Valentino with an alligator print embossing. It buttons and zips in the back, with two side flap pockets that button closed with two ...Category
20th Century Italian Pencil Skirts
- Vintage Valentino Boutique Brown Wool Skirt With PocketsBy ValentinoLocated in Portland, ORWe love this classic brown wool pencil skirt from Valentino Boutique. This vintage Valentino skirt came from an estate we acquired many years ago that included the finest designer pi...Category
1980s Italian Skirts
- Early 2000s Valentino Garavani Aubergine Rhinestone Heavily Beaded Pencil SkirtBy Valentino, Valentino GaravaniLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a beautiful deep purple rhinestone and beaded Valentino skirt. From the early 2000s, this intricate hand-beaded skirt is covered in thousands of beads and rhine...Category
Early 2000s Italian Pencil Skirts$1,271 Sale Price25% Off
- Early 1990s Valentino Garavani Fringe Knit Black Linen Pencil SkirtBy Valentino, Valentino GaravaniLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a black fringe-trimmed skirt designed by Valentino Garavani in the late 1980s or early 1990s. This piece is constructed in light, semi-sheer linen with a knit a...Category
1990s Italian Pencil Skirts$446 Sale Price25% Off