Vintage Chanel Summer Linen Skirt. Size 40
View Similar Items
Vintage Chanel Summer Linen Skirt. Size 40
About the Designer
In the years following the opening of her modest millinery shop, Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel became a pivotal designer of both fashionable casual wear and Paris haute couture as well as an icon and arbiter of 20th-century style with her bob haircut and pearls. Today vintage Chanel handbags, jackets and evening dresses are among the most sought-after clothing and accessories for fashion lovers all over the world.
The first Chanel shop was established in 1910 in Paris on rue Cambon by the young milliner Gabrielle Chanel (1883–1971), who had picked up the nickname “Coco” while working as a club singer. The boutique drew the attention of the Parisian fashion elite who popularized her wide-brimmed Chanel Modes hats. Soon she added a sportswear store in the Normandy resort town of Deauville, where Coco set the tone for her defining sense of style — traditionally masculine garments reimagined for feminine shapes, made from simple jersey fabric.
Effortless and elegant, Chanel's designs promoted comfort and grace in women’s wear that had been dominated in the previous century by complicated layers of fabric and cumbersome corsets. She followed this success with a couture house, opened in 1915 in Biarritz.
But Chanel was not born into a life of glamour. Following the death of her mother, her father left her in an orphanage where she lived until the age of 18. It was there that she learned to sew as well as appreciate the classic pairing of black and white as worn by the nuns. In 1926, she introduced her first little black dress, reclaiming a color that had once been reserved for mourning and working-class women. That same decade, she debuted her perfume, Chanel No. 5, as well as the Chanel suit with a fitted skirt, inspired by the boxy lines of men’s clothing and employing a sporty tweed.
Chanel closed her fashion operations during World War II, then returned to the industry in 1954 to design for the functional needs of modern women. Structure and wearability endured in all of Chanel’s clothing and accessories, like the quilted leather 2.55 handbag introduced in 1955 with its gold-chain shoulder strap that freed up a woman’s hands. Chanel's collarless jacket reacted against the constricting styles of Christian Dior's New Look, replacing them with a design that was timeless, an instant classic. The 1957 two-tone slingback pumps had a practical heel height while offering a bold statement in the black tip of the shoes.
After Coco Chanel died in 1971, the brand underwent several changes in leadership, including fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld, who took over as artistic director in 1983. Over the years, the company has continued to innovate, such as expanding into ready-to-wear fashion in 1978 and, in 2002, establishing a subsidiary company — Paraffection — dedicated to preserving the heritage skills of fashion artisan workshops. The House of Chanel still operates its flagship on rue Cambon in Paris, where it all began.
- Louis Vuitton LV36 Women's Size 4 US Denim Skirt 124lv10By Louis VuittonLocated in Dix hills, NYLouis Vuitton LV36 Women's Size 4 US Denim Skirt 124lv10 Made In: France Measurements: Length: 17.5" Width: .2" Height: 26.5" Size: 36 OVERALL GOOD+ CONDITION ( 7.25/10 or B+ ) ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Skirts
- Versace Indigo Textured Denim Hook Detail Pencil Skirt MBy VersaceLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2Featuring enticing hook detail at the front, this pencil skirt by Versace is splendour. Tailored from a blend of cotton, it comes with a comfortable fit to carry out your day. With a...Category
2010s Italian Pencil Skirts
- S/S 2016 Look # 23 NEW VERSUS VERSACE LEOPARD PRINT 100% SILK SKIRT 38 - 2By VersaceLocated in Montgomery, TXVERSUS VERSACE Actual runway sample Collection Spring/Summer 2016 Look # 23 Leopard Printed Silk Skirt Zip closure Content: 1 fabric:100 silk 2 fabric: 100% polyester L...Category
2010s Italian Skirts$1,220 Sale Price20% Off
- NEW VINTAGE GIANNI VERSACE BEIGE and BLACK TULLE MIDI SKIRT 42 - 6By VersaceLocated in Montgomery, TXVERSACE Beige and Black Tulle midi Skirt Silver tone Rivets Side zipper Fully lined Content: 50% silk, Lining: 50% nylon Waist up to 32" Hips up to 38" Length 23" Made in...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Skirts$1,184 Sale Price20% Off
- J.W.Anderson Multicolor Striped Cotton and Silk Handkerchief Skirt SLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2J.W.Anderson's handkerchief skirt is graceful and high on fashion. It is cut to an attractive shape with a blend of fabrics in multicolors, which ma...Category
2010s British Skirts$118 Sale Price75% Off
- 2000s A.N.G.E.L.O. Vintage Cult Raw SkirtLocated in Lugo (RA), ITA.N.G.E.L.O. Vintage Cult dove gray cotton skirt with trapezoid design. High waist model, decorative stitching with raw and frayed cut. Side closure ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Skirts$128 Sale Price20% Off
Recently ViewedView All
With a Wink, Karl Lagerfeld Sent This Egg-Carton-Shaped Chanel Bag Down the Runway
For the brand’s 2014–15 ready-to-wear show in Paris, the designer was inspired by a most unexpected place: the supermarket.
This Vintage Chanel Fur Muff Is Après-Ski Chic
It might not be as practical as a pair of mittens, but for something that looks this good, practicality really doesn't matter.