Galliano Newspaper Print Hooded Sweatshirt
About the Item
Known for introducing rich theatricality and memorable fashion spectacles to the runway, John Galliano has enjoyed a singular career. The audacious British designer has garnered universal acclaim for genre-breaking collections not only at his eponymous label but also for Givenchy and Christian Dior.
From his embroidered absinthe-green Oscars gown for actress Nicole Kidman to the iconic sleeveless newspaper-print dress that Sex and the City’s Carrie Bradshaw made famous, Galliano’s intricate and multifaceted work is reliably newsworthy, drawing on history as often as it embodies a fresh and forward-looking sensibility, and over the years the designer has helped shape an ever-broadening new legion of enthusiasts for Parisian couture.
Born in Gibraltar but raised in South London by strict Roman Catholic working-class parents, Galliano attended the all-boys Church of England grammar school, where his flamboyance and interest in art attracted the attention of bullies. Eventually, Galliano ended up at the prestigious design and art school Central Saint Martins College (then called Saint Martin’s School of Art), where fellow British designers Stella McCartney and Alexander McQueen also trained.
Galliano flourished at Central Saint Martins. While a student, he worked in the costume department at the National Theatre in London. His graduate collection in 1984, dubbed “Les Incroyables” and named for post–French Revolution fashion lovers, was modeled by close friends of his and earned a standing ovation. The line ended up in the storefront windows of London luxury boutique Brown’s on South Molton Street, and Galliano’s first official collection — after he graduated — debuted at Paris Fashion Week in 1989.
In the early 1990s, Galliano’s relationship with his financial backer, Plein Sud’s Faycal Amor, ended, and by 1994, he was broke and sleeping on the floor of a friend’s apartment. Vogue editor in chief Anna Wintour and then-Vanity Fair editor André Leon Talley stepped in and introduced the budding designer to Portuguese socialite and fashion patron São Schlumberger and others. At Schlumberger’s Hôtel Particulier, Galliano’s shows became the stuff of fashion legend. His collection, a blend of Japanese modernist style as well as nostalgia for Art Deco and 1940s’ tailoring, earned raves in glossy magazines and garnered the attention of Princess Diana, Madonna and other fashion luminaries.
Once the Galliano name was well known among the world’s most stylish set, the chairperson of LVMH, Bernard Arnault, appointed Galliano head designer of French fashion house Givenchy. One year later, in 1996, LVMH moved him to the design team at Dior, where he produced scores of celebrated looks for Dior Haute Couture. Today, Galliano is the creative director of Maison Margiela.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Sheffield, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- DOLCE & GABBANA 1990's SKI GOGGLE SUNGLASSESBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Sheffield, GB1990's DOLCE & GABBANA Ski goggles, with D&G elasticated tape headband. Complete in original case. Features; D&G elasticated spell out tape headband Foam lined interior for comfo...Category
1990s French Sunglasses
- Vintage Versace Sport Ibiza Style Navy & Orange Wrestling Suit Mens JumpsuitBy VersaceLocated in Sheffield, GBIconic early 1990's Vintage VERSACE Sport 'Fitness' Sport suit in navy blue with contrasting orange racer striped sides, piping and logo printed details. Features: Deep Muscle fit ...Category
1990s Italian Dancewear
- Courrèges A-Line Textured Futuristic White & Red Tennis Mini SkirtBy André CourrègesLocated in Sheffield, GBCourrèges futuristic style, textured white A-line mini skirt, with contrasting chunky red 'RIRI' zips and central front Courrèges appliqué detailed logo. Features; x2 Side Zips Chu...Category
20th Century French A-Line Skirts
- Y2k Prada 2000'S Silver Linea Rossa Metallic Ski Pants TrousersBy PradaLocated in Sheffield, GB2000's PRADA dual layered Ski pants, in a silver lame metallic fabric, with various tactical components. For PRADA's iconic Linea Rossa sport line. Features; Mid rise Dual layered ...Category
Early 2000s Romanian Ski Suits
- Escada 1980'S Bright Lime Green Lambskin Bomber JacketBy Escada Margaretha Ley, EscadaLocated in Sheffield, GBA 1980's lime green Lamskin leather bomber jacket by Escada. Fully lined with a flamboyant leopard print Silk. Features; Gently elasticated collar & waist Gold tone central line pr...Category
1980s European Bomber Jackets
- Courrèges 1960'S Green Wool Long Sleeve Shift Mini DressBy André CourrègesLocated in Sheffield, GBSwinging sixties, 1960's Andrè Courrèges mod-style, zip down mini dress in emerald green wool. Features; Central line zip fasten x2 Breast pockets Iconic Vinyl Courrèges logo on l...Category
1960s French Shift Dresses
- Prada orange nylon hooded gillet and skirt set, c. 1999By PradaLocated in London, GBPrada orange nylon set comprising: hooded zip-up gillet with black wool back panel and two elastic fastenings; zip-up mini skirt with two pockets c. 1999Category
1990s Italian Sportswear
- Versace Size 10A Boy's Black Blue Baroque Zip Up Hoodie Sweatshirt Kid 121v39By VersaceLocated in Dix hills, NYVersace Size 10A Boy's Black Blue Baroque Zip Up Hoodie Sweatshirt Kid 121v39 Date Code/Serial Number: 044DB412F66B81 Made In: Italy Measurements: Length: 16.5" Width: .4" Height: ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Sportswear
- Balenciaga By Nicolas Ghesquiere Blue & Brown Inset Panel Sweatshirt 2003By BalenciagaLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection is pleased to offer a vintage Balenciaga by Nicolas Ghesquière navy blue cotton sweatshirt with brown knit panels at sleeves and blue waffle-knit panels at waist and sle...Category
Early 2000s French Sweat Suits
- Herve Leger 1990s SwimsuitBy Herve LégerLocated in Scottsdale, AZBe beach ready at all times with this adorable Herve Leger one piece swimsuit! Circa 1990s, this swimsuit features a black and white elastic trim with cut outs and an open back. Perfect for the pool or the beach, this swimsuit will pair perfectly with your favorite Chanel sun hat...Category
1990s French Swimwear
- Revillon All Season Suede and Fox VestBy Revillon FrèresLocated in New York, NYRevillon square cut woven mohair, suede and fox gilet. Deep 12" slash armholes allow movement. Woven mohair in teal, black and wine woven with purple suede strips. Completely e...Category
1980s French Sportswear
Recently ViewedView All
How John Galliano Caused Fashion Chaos around the Globe
The visionary designer epitomizes the pleasures and perils of irrepressible creative genius.
The Best Ways to Dress for Your Astrological Sign
Makeup and astrology expert Linda Mason dispenses fashion advice for every zodiac sign. Does your wardrobe match your horoscope?
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery