Chanel 08P Black Suit with Beads & Crystals
View Similar Items
Chanel 08P Black Suit with Beads & Crystals
About the Designer
In the years following the opening of her modest millinery shop, Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel became a pivotal designer of both fashionable casual wear and Paris haute couture as well as an icon and arbiter of 20th-century style with her bob haircut and pearls. Today vintage Chanel handbags, jackets and evening dresses are among the most sought-after clothing and accessories for fashion lovers all over the world.
The first Chanel shop was established in 1910 in Paris on rue Cambon by the young milliner Gabrielle Chanel (1883–1971), who had picked up the nickname “Coco” while working as a club singer. The boutique drew the attention of the Parisian fashion elite who popularized her wide-brimmed Chanel Modes hats. Soon she added a sportswear store in the Normandy resort town of Deauville, where Coco set the tone for her defining sense of style — traditionally masculine garments reimagined for feminine shapes, made from simple jersey fabric.
Effortless and elegant, Chanel's designs promoted comfort and grace in women’s wear that had been dominated in the previous century by complicated layers of fabric and cumbersome corsets. She followed this success with a couture house, opened in 1915 in Biarritz.
But Chanel was not born into a life of glamour. Following the death of her mother, her father left her in an orphanage where she lived until the age of 18. It was there that she learned to sew as well as appreciate the classic pairing of black and white as worn by the nuns. In 1926, she introduced her first little black dress, reclaiming a color that had once been reserved for mourning and working-class women. That same decade, she debuted her perfume, Chanel No. 5, as well as the Chanel suit with a fitted skirt, inspired by the boxy lines of men’s clothing and employing a sporty tweed.
Chanel closed her fashion operations during World War II, then returned to the industry in 1954 to design for the functional needs of modern women. Structure and wearability endured in all of Chanel’s clothing and accessories, like the quilted leather 2.55 handbag introduced in 1955 with its gold-chain shoulder strap that freed up a woman’s hands. Chanel's collarless jacket reacted against the constricting styles of Christian Dior's New Look, replacing them with a design that was timeless, an instant classic. The 1957 two-tone slingback pumps had a practical heel height while offering a bold statement in the black tip of the shoes.
After Coco Chanel died in 1971, the brand underwent several changes in leadership, including fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld, who took over as artistic director in 1983. Over the years, the company has continued to innovate, such as expanding into ready-to-wear fashion in 1978 and, in 2002, establishing a subsidiary company — Paraffection — dedicated to preserving the heritage skills of fashion artisan workshops. The House of Chanel still operates its flagship on rue Cambon in Paris, where it all began.
- New Tom Ford For Yves Saint Laurent YSL Pinstripe Pantsuit Suit FR40By Yves Saint Laurent, Tom Ford for Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Leesburg, VATom Ford for Yves Saint Laurent Brand New Without Tags Virgin Wool & Silk Pantsuit The pinstripes read Yves Saint Laurent, which makes this piece amazing! Black Virgin Wool and Silk ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Suits, Outfits and Ensembles$2,963 Sale Price24% Off
- Yohji YamamotoBy Yohji YamamotoLocated in Austin, TX1990s Yohji Yamamoto black blazer with tails with black chiffon wrap skirt. Made in Japan Condition: Excellent labeled size 2 or Medium ( mannequin is a US size 6 )Category
1990s Japanese Skirt Suits$1,650
- Todd Oldham for Congovid Floral Embroidered SuitBy Todd OldhamLocated in Austin, TXTodd Oldham for Congovid embroidered suit with oversized jacket. Two large pockets on front. Jacket size M, pants size L. Cotton, rayon blend. Cond...Category
1980s American Trouser Pant Suits
- 1992 Gianni Versace Denim Leopard Vest and JeansBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Austin, TX1992 Gianni Versace leopard print vest and jeans. Medusa buttons. Zip up closure on vest. Cotton fabric. Condition excellent. Size XS, IT38, US 2 24" waist, 32" hips, 28.5" inseam ...Category
1990s Italian Suits, Outfits and Ensembles$2,520 Sale Price30% Off
- 1992 Complice by Dolce & Gabbana High Waisted skirt and Top SetBy Dolce & Gabbana, CompliceLocated in Austin, TX1992 Complice by Dolce & Gabbana high waisted skirt and bra top with removable tie for top or neck. Fabric is a spandex blend Condition: Excellent SZ S TOP: Bust: 28-38", Length:...Category
1990s Italian Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
Recently ViewedView All
With a Wink, Karl Lagerfeld Sent This Egg-Carton-Shaped Chanel Bag Down the Runway
For the brand’s 2014–15 ready-to-wear show in Paris, the designer was inspired by a most unexpected place: the supermarket.
This Vintage Chanel Fur Muff Is Après-Ski Chic
It might not be as practical as a pair of mittens, but for something that looks this good, practicality really doesn't matter.