Vivienne Westwood blue tweed skirt suit, fw 1994
About the Item
For someone who regularly swats away the industry that made her, audacious British fashion designer Dame Vivienne Westwood certainly knows her way around a garment. And she knows how to provoke. “I don’t follow fashion,” Westwood once told the New York Times. “I’ve never been interested in it.”
Westwood was born Vivienne Isabel Swire in a village in Derbyshire, in central England, but moved to London as a teen. In the early 1960s, she began to make her own jewelry and met an artist, activist and entrepreneur named Malcolm McLaren. They became involved romantically and she made clothes for him in the style of the Teddy Boys — the city’s music-crazed, occasionally violent teenagers at the time who wore high-waisted trousers and tailored velvet blazers that drew on Edwardian-era fashions.
Westwood and McLaren opened a vintage shop on King’s Road in London in 1971. The flared denim and peasant blouses of the 1960s, then still popular with the “peace and love” set, didn’t hold any weight for Westwood. Instead, she was interested in provocative, edgy apparel. She repaired used clothing and endeavored to create bold new designs from scratch.
Together Westwood and McLaren sold older rock-and-roll records, customized T-shirts with antiestablishment slogans, biker jackets and snug trousers inspired by the Marlon Brando film The Wild One as well as bondage fetish wear. The shop, once called Let It Rock and then Too Fast to Live, Too Young to Die before Sex became a more appropriate moniker, evolved into a youth mecca. The DIY garments — zippered tops, burnt tees emblazoned with anarchist messages — flew off the shelves. More notably, it brought punk to the masses. Westwood was soon dressing the Sex Pistols, a band that McLaren managed, all the while bridging the gap between music and fashion in a manner that has reverberated throughout the industry for decades.
In 1981, the couple’s first fashion show marked the debut of their Pirate collection — a swashbuckler-themed line that sprang from Westwood’s research into Indigenous Americans and the “power garments” of the Louis XIV era. The collection’s ample proportions and cutting-edge tailoring countered punk’s geometry and tight latex fits as well as what rocker Adam Ant called the “Puritanism” that plagued England at the time. The Pirate collection’s enduring influence on the world of fashion as well as the theatrical work of designers such as John Galliano and Alexander McQueen is undeniable.
The self-taught Westwood enjoyed a rapid ascent in fashion, with British society embracing her looks and Vogue immortalizing them in its glossy pages. She’s dressed Kate Moss and Helena Bonham Carter, and a wedding dress that she created is featured in 2008’s Sex and the City film.
Today, the fires of political and environmental activism burn brightly for Westwood: She is a Greenpeace ambassador, having designed the organization’s official “Save the Arctic” logo; her clothing brand is committed to using recycled canvas and other eco-friendly materials in the production process; and in 2020, she protested the extradition of Julian Assange by suspending herself in a bird cage outside London’s Old Bailey court. But she will always be the grande dame of British design.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: London, United Kingdom
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Chanel by Karl Lagerfeld purple velvet pant suit with gold trim, fw 1993By Chanel, Karl Lagerfeld for ChanelLocated in London, GBChanel by Karl Lagerfeld, purple velvet pant suit comprising: fitted jacket with metallic gold trim, gold chanel button closures and silk lining; high...Category
1990s French Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Vivienne Westwood unisex checked wool three-piece pant suit, fw 1992By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GBVivienne Westwood unisex black and white checked wool three-piece pant suit comprising: double-breasted blazer jacket with peak lapels, silver orb buttons and red satin lining, singl...Category
1990s British Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Vivienne Westwood black leather corseted jacket and mini skirt suit, fw 1997By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GB▪ Vivienne Westwood Couture black leather mini skirt suit ▪ 100% Leather ▪ Corseted Jacket ▪ Let of mutton sleeves ▪ Double ended metal zipper at centre back ▪ Quilted satin lining...Category
1990s Italian Skirt Suits
- Jean Paul Gaultier green and black knitted wool feathered skirt suit, fw 1991By Jean Paul GaultierLocated in London, GB▪ Jean Paul Gaultier knitted skirt suit ▪ 100% Wool ▪ Green feathered collar ▪ Cream and green checkered trim ▪ Green above-the-knee fitted skirt ▪ IT 42 - FR 38 - UK 10 - US 6 ▪ F...Category
1990s Italian Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Dolce & Gabbana 4 piece runway ensemble, ss 2001By Dolce & GabbanaLocated in London, GB▪ Dolce & Gabbana complete runway 4 piece set ▪ Red button up blouse with attached bodysuit and shoulder-pads ▪ Wide-leg chap style pants of blue denim and wool crepe ▪ Large gold...Category
Early 2000s Italian Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Dolce & Gabbana black embroidered leather pant suit with embellishments, fw 1999By Dolce & GabbanaLocated in London, GB▪ Dolce & Gabbana black leather pant suit ▪ 100% Leather ▪ Floral themed silver embellishment and embroidery ▪ Front velcro fastening on vest ▪ Leg sli...Category
1990s Italian Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Bespoke Black weeding groom suit by MAN BilbaoLocated in Bilbao, ESBespoke black wedding morning suit by MAN Bilbao Consisting on long tail chaqué jacket, vest, cuff link blouse, red tie, suspenders and trousers Perfect Condition Only used Once Size 54 Spain MAN 1924 appears once more in the publication Mr Porter...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Spanish Trouser Pant Suits
- Alexander Mcqueen 1998 Joan Skirt Suit with Zippered Jacket and Logo Red LiningBy Alexander McQueenLocated in San Francisco, CAVintage 1990s Alexander Mcqueen grey skirt suit from the 1998 Joan collection. Suit is made of a beautiful grey and black fabric with a light sheen. A...Category
1990s Italian Skirt Suits
- Vintage 1990s Gianni Versace striped black wool/silk & leather detail suitBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Antwerp, BEVintage 1990s Gianni Versace purple striped black suit. made in a mix of 57% wool 42% silk & 2% elastane and leather details at the back/sleeves/collar and the waistband of the trous...Category
1990s Italian Trouser Pant Suits
- Patrick Cox vintage fall 1996 documented three piece colored pinstripe bleu suitLocated in Antwerp, BEAmazing three-piece suit by British shoe designer Patrick Cox The pictures don't do this suit justice. Incredibly well made in England. The suit is made i...Category
1990s British Trouser Pant Suits
- Thierry Mugler Asymmetric jacket Skirt SuitBy Thierry MuglerLocated in Water Mill, NYA beautiful black 2 piece skirt suit from Thierry Mugler. The jacket is collarless with an asymmetric neckline and hem, shoulder pads and a front adjustable belt with a black buckle...Category
1990s French Skirt Suits
- CALVIN KLEIN COLLECTION Size 38 Black Solid Wool Peak Lapel 32 32 TuxedoBy Calvin Klein CollectionLocated in San Francisco, CACALVIN KLEIN COLLECTION tuxedo comes in a black wool with a full liner and includes a single breasted, two buttons sport coat with a peak lapel and matching flat front trousers. Exc...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
Recently ViewedView All
Vivienne Westwood’s Punk Spirit Lives On in This ’90s Tartan Ensemble
The shorts suit in a mash-up of patterns with an asymmetrical cut speaks to the designer’s rebellious spirit.
This Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen Ensemble Is Part Zsa Zsa Gabor, Part ‘Blade Runner’
As Burton steps away from the brand, it’s a fitting time to revisit one of her visionary designs.