- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Yves Saint Laurent Jumpsuit Patch Pocket Gray Wool 90s YSL Rive Gauche Sz 40
- DimensionsMarked Size: 40 (EU)Bust: 38 in (96.52 cm)Waist: 27 in (68.58 cm)Hip: 37.5 in (95.25 cm)Inseam: 31.5 in (80.01 cm)
- StyleContemporary (In the Style Of)
- Place of Origin
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. In good condition for its age, we note several small repairs to the wool on the pant leg bottom and one on a sleeve (hard to see unless very closely inspecting).
- Seller LocationPort Saint Lucie, FL
- Reference NumberSeller: YSL Rive Gauche Charcoal Jumpsuit Sz 40 1stDibs: LU407214081252
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Port Saint Lucie, FL
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
About the Designer
Yves Saint Laurent
French fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent pioneered “cross-design” in fashion, taking inspiration from street trends to modernize haute couture.
Saint Laurent was the first to launch a ready-to-wear label, YSL Rive Gauche Prêt-à-Porter. He was the first couturier to open boutiques for both men and women. Using traditional menswear fabrics and designs for women, Saint Laurent also literally cross-dressed, giving men and women alike chic pant suits, elegant tuxedo jackets and urban safari gear. By blurring gender-specific design, he empowered individual style while creating a scissor-sharp fashion aesthetic of sensual ease and beauty. Many of his designs are today considered timeless classics. Saint Laurent also consistently used Black models, like Mounia, Iman and Naomi Campbell, and he drew endless inspiration from different ethnicities and cultures, in no small part because of his Algerian roots.
Born to French parents in Oran, Algeria, in 1936, Saint Laurent went to Paris at age 17 to study fashion at the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture. Just two years later, in 1955, his remarkable sketches were shown to Christian Dior, then the world’s reigning couturier, who hired him immediately.
Surprisingly soon thereafter, Dior publicly chose Saint Laurent as his successor, which sadly proved prescient when the fashion legend died unexpectedly, in 1957. A mere slip of a youth, the 21-year-old Saint Laurent was nevertheless up to the challenge. He shook the traditional couture clientele to its core with youthful silhouettes and styles like the A-line trapeze dress that hung with seeming effortlessness from the shoulders, the antithesis of the pinched waists and molded skirts that had been all the rage after the deprivations of World War II.
After a mandated spell in the torturous French military, Saint Laurent suffered a nervous breakdown and was dismissed by Dior in 1962. Out of the ashes rose the Age of Yves. With Pierre Bergé, his then-lover who became his lifelong business partner and friend, the designer founded Yves Saint Laurent YSL to encompass prêt-à-porter, or ready-to-wear. In 1966, they opened the first YSL Rive Gauche women’s boutique in Paris, followed soon thereafter by YSL Rive Gauche for men. Saint Laurent had given birth to a global brand.
His revolutionary Mondrian mini dress from 1965 is a core element of his fashion biography. It is a prime example of how Saint Laurent, an avid art lover and collector, looked to painters, from Goya to Picasso, Ingres to Matisse, for inspiration.
With its pure lines and hues, Mondrian’s ground-breaking 1935 color-block painting Composition C transmutes beautifully into a dress that is highly valued by collectors of contemporary fashion and widely copied commercially to this day. The design is the epitome of Saint Laurent’s aesthetic, requiring a meticulous hand piecing of each color block so that, despite the body’s curves, the visual plane is as flat as a canvas when the garment is worn. Mondrian’s purity met its match in Saint Laurent.
“I am no longer concerned with sensation and innovation, but with the perfection of my style,” Saint Laurent said four years before retiring, in 2002. After a long period of ill health, he died at his home in Paris on June 1, 2008.
- Yves Saint Laurent Dress and Jacket 2pc Set Black Wool YSL Rive Gauche 90s Sz 40By Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Port Saint Lucie, FLAuthentic, preowned, vintage Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche dress and jacket, 2 pc set, likely made in the early 1990s. Made from black wool gabardine, both pieces are lined in black...Category
1990s Dress and Coat Ensembles
- Yves Saint Laurent Jacket + Skirt Suit 2pc Set Lime Green Satin Sz 8 Vintage 90sBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Port Saint Lucie, FLPreowned vintage Yves Saint Laurent checked satin jacket and skirt 2pc set, made for their Encore line, most likely in the 90s. The high collar jacket is made from a checked satin f...Category
1990s French Skirt Suits
- 90s Yves Saint Laurent Jumpsuit Rive Gauche Black Wool Tuxedo Le Smoking Sz 40By Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Port Saint Lucie, FLThis incredibly chic black jumpsuit was made by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, most likely in the early 1990s. Made from wool with silk satin trim, it features YSL's iconic Le Smok...Category
1990s French Jumpsuits
- Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Dress Black White Stripe Wool Silk Vintage 90s 46By Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Port Saint Lucie, FLAuthentic, preowned, vintage Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche dress, circa the 90s. Made from a wool/silk/rayon blend woven fabric, it features button-front styling, a cinched waist a...Category
1990s French Day Dresses
- Yves Saint Laurent Cardigan Colorful Knit Feather Trim 90s YSL Rive Gauche Sz 38By Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Port Saint Lucie, FLImpossible to find vintage 90s Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche multicolor alpaca knit cardigan jacket with Marabou feather collar, size 38. As seen on the runway. Unlined/Shoulder P...Category
1990s French Jackets
- Yves Saint Laurent Leather Jacket Bolero Gold Matelasse with Black Wool Trim 38By Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Port Saint Lucie, FLAuthentic, preowned, vintage Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche gold leather bolero jacket with black wool trim, likely made in the 90s. Made from supple and shimmery gold lambskin leat...Category
1990s French Bolero Jackets
- Yves Saint Laurent "rive gauche" vintage 1977 collectable three piece suitBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Antwerp, BEAmazing and rare three pieces set “Les Espagnoles et les Romantiques” collection by Yves Saint Laurent rive gauche I advise using the measurements for the perfect fit. Measurements ...Category
1970s French Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Limited edition Saint Laurent “Paris” print summer ensemble. circa 1983By Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in London, GB“J’ais deux amours. Mon pays et Paris” went a famous 1950s song by Josephine Baker. And this highlights how Paris has always been and will represent a dream and a lifestyle. In 1983,...Category
1980s French Skirt Suits
- Yves Saint Laurent YSL Velvet Vest and PantsBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Austin, TX1980s YSL black velvet long vest with gold trim and velvet pants. Condition: Excellent. Size 40 Top: 38" bust, 40" waist, 43 1/2" length. Pants: 28" waist, 38" hips, 28" inseam, 41...Category
1980s French Trouser Pant Suits
- Yves Saint Laurent JumpsuitBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Austin, TXYves Saint Laurent black jumpsuit. Zipper down front, elastic waist. Condition: good, some all over wear. Size M (mannequin is a us size 6) We accept returns for refund, please se...Category
1980s French Jumpsuits$595 Sale Price30% Off
- Vintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Rive Gauche Spencer Jacket Skirt Smoking SuitBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Rive Gauche Spencer Jacket Skirt Smoking Suit Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, wast and hips: BLAZER/ BLOUSE Shoulder: 16.92 inches (43 c...Category
20th Century French Skirt Suits
- Yves Saint Laurent "rive gauche" 1970s brown floral print silk top & skirt setBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Antwerp, BEYves Saint Laurent "rive gauche" 1970s vintage soft brown floral print silk top & skirt set. Both pieces are made from high-quality crispy silk. The top has an easy-to-wear cut and s...Category
1970s Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
Recently ViewedView More
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.